Ranger_10X

Jun 9, 2015
This will probably come as a shock to most PA riders - It did me! I had 'retired' from dirt riding for a number of years while waiting for my son to be big enough to trail ride with me. Got him a new bike last year, and just recently got one for myself now that he's experienced enough to venture off our property. Have been searching the internet for weeks trying to find out how to register these bike in PA (got both from out of state). Couldn't find anything, and didn't receive any reply's to the emails I sent to the state agencies (big surprise there...). So I finally called the PA DCNR site for registering ATV's and snowmobiles. I explained to the woman on the phone that I was trying to register some dirtbikes so I could legally ride on PA lands, but was confused because their website defines ATV's as having 3 or more wheels. She explained that there IS no process to register dirtbikes in PA because they are NOT permitted on any PA trails or lands! I had to ask her to repeat herself several times before I could believe what I was hearing. She emphatically told me that dirtbikes are not permitted on any PA ATV trails, in state forests or on any other state lands. Essentially, this means that in PA dirtbikes can only be ridden on private land - with permission from the land owner. Has anybody else heard this BS?! I welcome any factual, official information on this subject.

Ranger_10X

Jun 9, 2015
UPDATE: OK, so I owe an apology to the PA Forestry guys. I actually did receive two responses to my emails. (guess I'm too impatient) Here is an excerpt from one of them below. Unfortunately, it confirms what I was told on the phone - mostly. Turns out there is a place in PA where you can ride dirt bikes on state land trails- ONE! And for most of us it might as well be in Timbuktu. Is anyone aware of a campaign by ticked-off two-wheelers like myself to change this? I mean, why the prejudice against bikes? I know I'll get some flak for this but it's very obvious that quads (ATV's) are much more dangerous to riders and do more damage to the environment than bikes.

Excerpt from email reply by PA dept. of forestry:
"PA DCNR only has legislated authority to register ATVs as defined on our web sites. We have no authority to address title and registration issues regarding non-street legal dirt bikes.

The Bureau of Forestry offers two motorized trailbike (motorcycle) trails. The Seven Mountains Ramble and Shade Mountain trails are both located in portions of Mifflin, Snyder, and Union Counties in the Bald Eagle State Forest. The Seven Mountains Ramble trails is designated for dual-sport (licensed for highway use) trailbikes and the Shade Mountain trail is for non-licensed, off-highway trailbikes. If you wish to have copies of either of these trail maps, please contact the Bald Eagle State Forest office at 570-922-3344, Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm.
The Bureau of Forestry's ATV trails are not open to motorcycles. All trails which have been designated for ATV use have been closed to licensed vehicles and are restricted to registered ATVs. "Registration" is the key word why these trails are designated for ATVs. The monies generated from ATV and snowmobile registration fees are deposited in a restricted receipts account to be used by DCNR for running the program, trail maintenance and rehabilitation, education and training programs for ATV/snowmobile users, grants-in-aid to municipalities and organizations to provide for snowmobile/ATV use opportunities on non-Commonwealth owned lands, and enforcement activities.
This limitation is specified in State laws covering ATVs and snowmobiles.
Act 68 of 2001 signed into law on July 25, 2001 amended the Snowmobile and ATV Law that is Chapter 77 of the Vehicle Code. Act 68 defines ATV as the following:
"All-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" is defined as a motorized off-highway vehicle which travels on three or more inflatable tires and which has:
(1) a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 800 pounds, or
(2) a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 800 pounds.
ATV's described in paragraph (1) may be referred to as Class I ATV's, and ATV's described in paragraph (2) may be referred to as Class II ATV's. This term does not include snowmobiles, trail bikes, motorboats, golf carts, aircraft, dune buggies, automobiles, construction machines, trucks or home utility machines; military, fire, emergency and law enforcement vehicles; implements of husbandry; multipurpose agricultural vehicles; vehicles used by the department; or any vehicle that is, or is required to be, registered under Chapter 13 (relating to registration of vehicles). In addition, this term does not include off-road motor vehicles used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations and incidentally operated or moved upon the highway.
If you have further questions please email forestrecreation@pa.gov.
For AskDCNR"​

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
well that sucks! I'd do what you are doing. rally the troops and see about getting the legislature to adopt some changes.
Take a look at the recreational trail program(federal). If PA is taking money for trails from this program they should be allowing all OHV to use the trails that are created/maintained by the fund.

Good luck It is an uphill battle for sure. But could be a great lesson in civics for your son.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I'd contact the AMA for help as well.

Pat Winner

Sep 30, 2016
If you get your bike street legal (Headlight, tail lght, blinkers, plate light, horn etc.) The bike can be registered and allowed on state trials. I just did this for my kx250 and boy, do I love t he SUMO life.

Lhxogxlh

Jun 24, 2019
In PA you can ride ur dirtbikes in the national forest... just register them... and some trails especially in the redneck ville of western PA. Let dirtbikes on them

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
This will probably come as a shock to most PA riders - It did me! I had 'retired' from dirt riding for a number of years while waiting for my son to be big enough to trail ride with me. Got him a new bike last year, and just recently got one for myself now that he's experienced enough to venture off our property. Have been searching the internet for weeks trying to find out how to register these bike in PA (got both from out of state). Couldn't find anything, and didn't receive any reply's to the emails I sent to the state agencies (big surprise there...). So I finally called the PA DCNR site for registering ATV's and snowmobiles. I explained to the woman on the phone that I was trying to register some dirtbikes so I could legally ride on PA lands, but was confused because their website defines ATV's as having 3 or more wheels. She explained that there IS no process to register dirtbikes in PA because they are NOT permitted on any PA trails or lands! I had to ask her to repeat herself several times before I could believe what I was hearing. She emphatically told me that dirtbikes are not permitted on any PA ATV trails, in state forests or on any other state lands. Essentially, this means that in PA dirtbikes can only be ridden on private land - with permission from the land owner. Has anybody else heard this BS?! I welcome any factual, official information on this subject.
Wow! Just imagine all folks voting for Republican senators in their states, you keep your guns, you hobbies, dirt bikes and all cool stuff, so you have to think why vote democrat? Your hobbies and life style are not doing so well as of now, just saying, think with logic.... 9dd7d1ec53dd8444b0b6e0a3e4764afb.jpg

Top Bottom