DW Events: How Many

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For all those that have been to DirtWeek in the past... how do you feel about the number of events? Too many? Just Right or not enough?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I voted "just right" but think the events need to be spread out more. Maybe drop one or two. Maybe add one or two. But last year.... all of the events seemed to be crammed into Thursday and Friday. Maybe because it rained most of the beginning of the week, maybe because not much was scheduled on the lighter attendance days (Mon-Wed), maybe because Saturday is pretty much limited to MX races.... but I think last year Thursday and Friday were overloaded.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Yeah, the chili eating event was too short and the pig out event was too early. Other than those two, the events were about right. The riding events were a different story. :joke:

The only thing I noticed last year & tenetively this year, is the old mans mx & the B mx are back to back & I want to do both. I'd like to put in a request for less water on the track this year. :rotfl:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Agree with Nikki pretty much. Besides, you guys work too hard. Lighten up the sched the Okie crew can get more time to ride or hang out.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I pretty much agree with what others said. Right number of events, but it would be nice to have some of them earlier in the week and more spread-out.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I said about right also. I think everything was just compressed and hectic because of the weather last year.

I thought everything was just about perfect the year prior.

One thing that might be considered for future DW's is changing the moving the start day up a day for arrivals to Saturday and running the show from Sunday to Friday night. This would allow the RV renters to pick-up and drop off on Saturday, thereby avoiding the "closed on Sunday" conundrum. Sorry to put this here, but it just occurred to me whilst thinking about the events of the last two years.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I tagged "just right", but I really don't care how few, or many, events there are when I'm with the DRN family.
I just do not want to see anyone stressing to make an event go off during the best week of the year. I would rather see that event called off & the stressed individual forced to burn a tank play riding.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I picked "just right" too. I feel about the same as FJ does but I also worry that some people don't realize that DW is the event. If somebody is going to DW just to win a race, then they have missed the point and will certainly be disappointed...except for me beating Big Lou, now that's important. :)

B

biglou

I'm with FJ and the evil Mr. Baca here. Other than a few friendly rivalries, there were a few people taking the racing WAY too seriously. DW is a family reunion, a gathering of good friends, not a competition.
Except for me beating Papakeith, now that's important... :p

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
I voted just right also. I enjoy the riding and racing, but not as much as just hanging out and listening to everybody shoot the bull. This is my week to de-compress from work, and the only way for me to do that is to hang out with everybody, whether it is riding, racing, or just bench racing.
Jerry

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I think the amount of events is just right, but that they should be spread out more. I know the mx races take up almost the whole day on saturday. What if you split the classes and ran half on friday morning and half on saturday morning. Like kids, women's, bikes with lights, and old guys on friday and A, B, C, schoolboy, races on saturday. Then maybe shift a few events to tuesday and wednesday.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
"just right" but I would agree that we could spread em out, don't know of anything I would eliminate, everything I tried was too much fun, (and I'm gonna try more this year)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I agree with Nikki. Seems like the first of the week has always been free, but Thurs.-Sat. is crammed. Last year, two harescrambles in one day was rough.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Just throwing another idea out there - for the MX races - two motos for the Pro/A class and just one moto for everyone else. Gives people a chance to race, but since it's for fun, one moto is less of a time commitment (for racers, flaggers, spectators, scorers, etc.), less of a chance for race-related injuries, and more open riding time on the big track. Two motos seems like a little of an overkill for a "fun" MX race event. Plus like in the C class - seems like half of the guys don't show for the second moto anyways. I'm all for keep it fun. Plus trying to free up a little time on Saturday (probably the highest DW attendance day).

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
CAL said:
I agree with Nikki. Seems like the first of the week has always been free, but Thurs.-Sat. is crammed. Last year, two harescrambles in one day was rough.

Cal,

I understand about the hare scrambles. It kinda caught me off guard that everyone wanted an individual event along with the team race. I didn't know about it untill the last minute, more then likely someone told me and I forgot. :ohmy: I will see what can be done to get it spread out more, or we may do away with the individual race.
Mully

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Didn't we only do 1 moto last year? Seems I showed up for the 2nd moto and nobody was there, or maybe one moto felt like two.

No matter, I'm down with what ever you guys come up with. I'll still send the hate mail, just for fun. :)

Hey Mully, I was supposed be after Nikki!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Impromptu stuff like the barrel races can fill in the first few days if people get bored. Sometimes, the made up crap is the most fun.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Maybe we should have Big Fire Dancer Lou organize an event.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I voted just right...but since I only participated in one scheduled event last year I wouldn't really know...

I did, however, regret not doing as many events as I had hoped to last year, and since I'm going to be there for the full week this year, I'd like to do more. Spreading the events out more is a good idea...but if I weren't going to be there for the full week and had to miss an event I really wanted to participate in I guess I'd send Okie hate mail too...

My brain hurts from all this thinking... :bang: Am I even making sense???

I'd say, DW is THE event (and yes someone else said that already...), if you can't make a race, at least you could make it.

Top Bottom