Do I buy a 2012 XC250 or 300 for fun and tight trails

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
I have been saving up and now its time to buy !! But do I get a XC 250 or 300 >>> Im 5'8" and 180 lbs and I normally ride a CR250 in expert class . Time for something new so I will try KTM or a Husaberg but what size is THEEE BIKE !!! :bang: Help

Mostly tight woods but also a little open stuff If you could tell me the basic diffrence from the two that would be great !! NEVER ridden eather yet

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've not ridden any of the new ones, but have been on plenty of older 250's and 300's.

IMO, the main difference is the 300 has much more low end power, some more mid range and also a bit more top. When traction is perfect, it will pull a couple of lengths on the 250 in a drag race through the gears. In the tight stuff, you can ride it a gear high and really chug it like a big 4 stroke. If you are riding super technical trails (the kind no organization besides Last Man Standing would hold a race on), there is a lot to be said for being able to climb anything at low rpm in 2nd or even 3rd gear. In the open stuff like fire roads and desert, the 300 will run head's up with the modern 450 4 strokes, while you will have to flog the 250 much harder to keep the pace.

All that being said, I personally prefer the 250, because it has enough power to do anything I want, and it does not tire me out as much when riding a long day of single track.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Either bike will be easier to ride than your CR. Smoother while still fast. Generally speaking younger aggressive fast guys seem to prefer the 250's. I like to ride a gear high and absolutely love 300's and ride the A Senior class in the Blackjack Enduro Circuit. Evaluate your own riding style. If you are aggressive and like to rev it, brake slide, dump the clutch out of every corner a 300 will wear you out in a hurry. I keep my ignition in the soft setting 90% of the time so it has more than I need but delivers it in such a manageable way that it is much easier to ride than my old KX250.
Don't stress over it. Both are great bikes.

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
So let me get this correct lol
The 2012 KTM 300 is THE BIKE !!! But you rather ride the 250 , ummm ok I do think I ride smooth but I am 46 and I do get tired some times. I think Im in the middle of the road on this one. I would love to have the power but I don't want to loose the 250 fun factor. Anyone got a quarter I can flip ??

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
No, I own a 300. Didn't mean to confuse you. I am on my second one and my next bike will be another 300. Although my first was a GasGas. Half the fun of owning a KTM or GasGas is that you have choices that the Japanese manufacturers don't offer. Add the awesome stock brakes and hydraulic clutch and you can't go wrong.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, I ride a 250 and that is what I prefer for the type of riding I enjoy most. I would also be very happy with the 300.

Within my circle of friends, there is about a 3 to 1 preference for the 300 over the 250. Many of those guys are retired former 'A' racers, 50+ years old who still ride fast. They have a blast on their 300's, and some have had multiple 300's since '99+.

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
So the fun factor is as good on a 300 as the 250 correct ? I heard you loose a little of the fun factor but I don't know if thats the cast with the new 300s they sound like a 250 on roids lol

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
I can also get 2011 Gas Gas 300 Nambotin Replica or a 2011 Gas Gas 250 Cervantes Replica for the same price as a 2012 KTM . how do they compare ???
They sure look GREAT !!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
To me motor wise the difference between the the two brands is hard to tell. They are both great. Handling I would give the nod to the GasGas. I like the electric start and the brakes on the KTM better and it is a little easier to do maintenance on. Not that the brakes are bad on the GasGas as they are essentially what comes on a Honda and GasGas has improved the fit and finish in recent years.

Top Bottom