DR Mag: The Build off.... TIME SENSITIVE: Bike Choice Complete.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Doh!.. My bad...
Yeah.. AFX :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i see that it comes with a kickstand, we know woodsguys love kickstands, question is: if we are leaving stock exhaust on is it USFS spark arrested and passes noise ordinances also?? if not what exhaust do wwoodsguys prefer??

also i see a lot of posts with mega bolt ons and preferred brand names, this is good but i would like to see DRN go over the top with possibly a mini or condensed version of EG's book with the applicable chapters to go with the bike?? in the fender bag if it gets one?

also to think outside the box if we could incorporate just one unobtainable from the market item(mod) to set us apart from the other forums. to do this i would look to the extreme woodsguys bikes for something they had to fabricate themselves out of necessity , then run the idea to a fabricator to have it incorporated and look professional. you know that thing you see on someones bike that makes you say WOW i wish i thought of that

just a thought

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
ellandoh said:
also to think outside the box if we could incorporate just one unobtainable from the market item(mod) to set us apart from the other forums. to do this i would look to the extreme woodsguys bikes for something they had to fabricate themselves out of necessity , then run the idea to a fabricator to have it incorporated and look professional. you know that thing you see on someones bike that makes you say WOW i wish i thought of that

just a thought

Excellent Idea L&O... :cool:

Crazy

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if we make it really quiet we could possibly get some good press , i see headline now "ORV enthusiasts of today ...........more concientious of their environment than theyre stereotyped"

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
i'm late to the party here, sorry...

wouldn't there be a significant weight/agility advantage to using a regular CR500AF and modding it to be woods worthy, yet still good on an mx track? Does it have to have lights etc?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Commited now, but it would have been something to have thought about with more time.
When Jimmy asked what we sent him...MX or Trails bike?...saying "U-pick, just add dirt!" would have been a sweet representation of our board.

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
"It would be best if the bike were set up for an average sized guy of average ability level, say 180 lbs, intermediate ability, but this is not a rule."

I dont think the average sized guy with average riding skills would even think of trying out a CR500AFX! Just my $.02.............Is it Paragon time yet?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
06AFX_Factor.jpg

AHHH..The Gods have glanced upon us !!!!

Crazy4nitro

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Okie,or anyone that may know,

The bike has to be ready and delivered by April 2nd,when are our polls and decisions going to be final? Then how long will that leave for the build minus the delivery time? Sorry if I may have missed this info if it has been discussed previously.

Crazy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
We've got it covered. AJ is no newbie to this process and Service Honda has a relationship with Yellow Freight so making sure the bike is where it needs to be will be no problem.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
wouldn't there be a significant weight/agility advantage to using a regular CR500AF and modding it to be woods worthy, yet still good on an mx track? Does it have to have lights etc?

just for information only..
regarding the weight concern..AF vs AFX-

the CRF250X weighs more than the CRF250R mostly because of battery/ electrics to power the starter, and the starter itself

The CR500AFX (CRF250X based) doesnt have any of those items-
and weighs neglibly different than an AF (based on the CRF250R)

the added lights would add to the weight
the sum of:
a marginal bit or wire, the headlight assembly, and the rear LED and bracket..

i'll go weigh it .. but i doubt its over a pound ?
the stator itself would weigh a few onces more from the added wiring to produce the lighting ..
the kickstand and mount would weigh something..
but not much and is carried low in the chassis?

there are few differences in the models other than lights-
but one is the suspension *internals* are different.
other than that its the same bike.

The two bikes weights are likely identical enough to not matter in overall feel or performance.

as models, they are more defined by which application you intend to ride in,
with the deciding factors being wether you want lights, or the different suspension for your type of riding..
also the green sticker *elgibilty* for cali customers on an "X"
*shrugs*

Last edited:
Top Bottom