DR Mag: The Build off.... TIME SENSITIVE: Bike Choice Complete.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
This bike looks to be the Bomb! This is one review I want to read. This is a great Idea for an article. I've seen this mentioned in on a few other pages. I'm a member at all of them, but I tend to lurk at a lot of Dirtbike sites. All the suggestions seem to be good. I'll add mine.

I've been reading about the G2 throttle system. It might help to tune the power a bit more and make it one sweet ride.

I vote against the Pivot pegs. Seems like a personal taste and might take some getting used to before you like them. I agree that the stockers won't do :)

I agree with Dwreck in not weighting it down with to much. Protection esentals and preformance enhancing. Keep it "about the business" if you will. (Sorry Lou Aka "king of bling") :)

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'd go for the AFX also. I damn near live in Jawbone, and that's the bike I'de use for it if money was not an issue. As far as for the who and the what, Eric and MX-Tech are hands down winners there.

RickyD: Trials tyres on MX bikes do really good so long as it's not super sandy (IE the dunes) and you do not want to run them with low tyre pressur (ever) on a big bike. I would opt for IRC's M5B rear tyre. that's what most of my friends in Jawbone, Splanger Hills and the Hi-Dez run, (I beleave they use a Michelin S-12 on the front, but I'll check with them. The S-12 rear tyre is a good all round tyre also.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'll second the m5b for the 500. for trails n mud I couldn't find better. I had the 18 inch rear wheel on my 500 with the 140/80 M5B

For pegs, I liked the Fastway lowboy pegs.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I just wanna know if the bike will make an appearance at DW'07 for all who attend to admire and maybe test ride!:aj:
How do "woods" bikes do in foam? :think:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Ok Here is my list:
Bike: AF500X W/Speedo and Cooling Fan Kit
Tyres: Michelin S-12 (21”)/IRC M5B (18”)
Scotts steering dampener
Rekluse clutch or Magura hydraulic clutch system
Clark 3.2 Gal oversized tank
Devol Radiator guards and full skid plate
Moose Pipe Armor (ultra heavy duty)
MSR Disk guards
MSR Brake Saver (Brake snake)
MSR 2 Stroke Fuel & Air mixture Screws
Pro Taper S/E Bars
Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards
FMF Gnarly Pipe (if one is made for the AFX)
FMF “Q” series spark arrestor
MX-Tech revalve for the Desert with Enzo fork subtanks
Eric Gorr Porting
Seal Savers for the forks
Zip-Ty Racing Axle pullers
Magnetic drain plug
T.M. Designworks: case saver, swing arm protector, and chain guard.
Whip flag mount on the rear axle (SoCal + AF500 = mandatory trip to the dunes)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Gun metal andodized like the special addition AF.
Custom DRN Graphics with Service Honda in a color changing type look.
This sounds like a Super Mamba!

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Kav said:
RickyD: Trials tyres on MX bikes do really good so long as it's not super sandy (IE the dunes) and you do not want to run them with low tyre pressur (ever) on a big bike.

I pictured this place somewhat like Carnegie, dry bluegroove..

Maybe add a soft seat of some kind..

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
#441 on the plates??

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Cool ideas... we've got some graphics planned :)

Thanks for the input everyone... keep it coming!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I could probably get Doug to custom a #530 sprocket conversion.
I contend there is no need for a bigger chain than the #520, but for scoring points in this thing, I think beefing up the chain and sprockets would give the perception of boosting it's integrity.
Pro bono, of course.

You know..this whole thing is very unfair to the other boards. But, they may get a mention. :)

Spider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2000
BSWIFT said:
This sounds like a Super Mamba! When is the raffle? J/King well, maybe.
This has been brought up already but first we have to figure out who really owns the finished bike and a way to make sure if done that we cover the cost. It would be cool to see it raise a couple grand- who wouldn't take a couple chances to own the dirtrider offroad bike of the year- for a some great cause.
PLEASE DON'T GET BOGGED DOWN IN THE RAFFLE STAGE NOW WE HAVE BIGGER TIMELINES TO BEAT and Okie will be exploring any raffle possibilities once we know facts

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
This is Super Cool. I am a dirt rider mag subscriber and am stoked about this. I think the 500 afx is the right bike. have we talked about a skid plate? I think that the Rekluse clutch is a good idea.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Spider said:
but first we have to figure out who really owns the finished bike
Service Honda.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
First of all I'm Totally Stoked about this project :yeehaw:
Thanks to all who stepped up to play!

Let's not forget about some type of Tools/Tool bag for when Murphy moves in. I'm not an avid trail rider so maybe someone else can chime in on this..

A nice GPS would be nice if possible,I totally agree about the weight issue though.

Also the balls that are used in place of the inner tubes(Jaybird posted about this b-4)

Crazy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This has been brought up already but first we have to figure out who really owns the finished bike and a way to make sure if done that we cover the cost.
Just in case there is any question... the bike will NOT end up in mine or any other "staffer's" garage.. unless of course someone on the site buys it...

What actually happens to the bike is being discussed now. As soon as we get it all worked out we will make it clear to everyone. If there are options at that point, the members will decide it's fate.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
GPS and tire balls are nice considerations.

I have a Dirtbike Gear Bag that can go on the back (I have to dig through the garage). I tested it for DRN a while back.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
After looking at an 06 pic and the retro the only thing that seems to stand out is the color of the plastic... it is a darker red than the 06. Other than that you are right, it is all graphics.

I guess I got caught up in the overall look in the pic instead of looking to see if there are true differences.

Ivan

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
You can count on me for any help and I'm close enough to AJ and Service to do stuff in a hurry.
I think the idea of a transformer bike fits in with DRN which to me encompasses a lot of different off-road sports.
If it wasn't so busy at my shop I'd offer up my CRF500 as a dual transformer concept with AJ's AFX.
Its a bit disappointing that DR came up with this interesting magazine concept so deep into the season, it would be better for all of the boards if they waited until they had enough time to develop the concept bikes with more member concensus.

We're hitting the Indy Show this weekend and we'll look for cool parts!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks Eric....
Yeah, the time frame is tough. I'm confident we'll have enough input to build a concensous bike.. note I didn't use "bike by commitee" lol. Frankly, I don't think they believe we can pull it off. We're starting to get a lot of suggestions soon, enough to narrow it all down and start building.

Top Bottom