DRN Poll... Mini Bike / Racing Forum? VOTE!

Mini Bike / Mini Racing Forum On DRN ?

• Yes, we need one.

Votes: 76 55.9%
  • Doesn't matter to me, don't care

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Nope, Don't go there.

Votes: 12 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So what do ya think?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yeah, why not, a mini forum will be great, however, the last thing I would want to see is it turn into a kiddies forum, "my XR80 is faster than your XYZ " :ugg:

Alan

Last edited:
B

biglou

Things are getting very specialized around here. I don't see where it could hurt anything. We already have a forum for every type/brand bike that I could conceive of. And I do see a bunch of questions about the little bikes. Might be a pretty good idea. Time will tell.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I hope my question/suggestion isn't causing the Admins a problem. Since it IS getting specialized here, I just thought it might be a good idea, and keep unrelated material out of the other forums.

I surely didn't intend for that forum to be a place for kids to bash each other. Rather a place where dads like me can go to share info about their kids bikes.

Gregg

Last edited:

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I think a mini forum would be great. I am in the process of buying a bike for the first of my three kids. I'd like input from others on the subject and, after I've gone through the process, I'd like to be able to help others out.

There is, however, a downside to the increased specialization (other than increased hassle for DRN administrators). As the number of specialized forums increases, the number of people in each forum decreases. Before the "What Bike?" forum was created, you could post a what bike-type question in the "Thumper Talk" or Japanese MX Bike forum and get a bunch of replies. Posts in the What Bike? forum seem to get less action. I suppose they are not getting seen other than by other people looking for bikes or people who are really bored at work.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
EBOD - You are right, of course, about the specialization factor causing less people to view ALL the forums. But I know there must be others like me who glance at ALL the forums occasionally looking for an interesting topic to chime in on.

Don't flame me, :whiner: but the reason I suggested this is because I kept going to other sites to get needed info on these little bikes. It just makes sense to me that the greatest site on the net should have a place for ALL types of bikes, and be categorized accordingly. No offense to those in the American Bikes forum, but surely there at least as many Moms and Dads with kid's bikes needing info as riders of American made dirt bikes.

I do understand the potential impact on the site and extra work for the Admins. For that very reason I started this post and asked if it was a good idea. Seems a few people agree at least. Maybe more will vote and those in charge will see fit to take mercy on us poor parents;)

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
A mini section would be great for the young uns. They are into the sport as much if not more than we are. It would be good for parents too as someone previously mentioned.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
yeah i think it is a good idea for the youngins here..dont know how many there are here but i think its a good idea.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
How about a forum that not only addresses small bikes, but small riders as well. We could discuss mechanical things as well as "what's the best way to teach my kid how to ride with a clutch?" or "who makes the best boots for my kid?" type of things.This way, the forum wouldn't be quite so specialized, and may see more traffic.

B

biglou

I like this last post by GaryB. Maybe make the mini forum about "All things mini"? Discuss mechanical issues, purchasing issues, accessories, maybe techniques, etc. Just another thought.:)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
It is funny how the only people to post are the ones who are for it!

I think it is a great idea. The more specialize forums that there are, the less crazy stuff we have to sift through in the other forums. Or something like that. Viva La Minis!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Double edged sword. Sure there would be a specialized area for mini stuff discussion but on the other side there is a strong chance that people that could have good information to share won't because they are no longer on mini's and have moved up to bigger bikes so they won't even see the posts. My vote was in the middle, doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Doesn't matter to me, yet It would probably be a good sub-forum to Thumper Central. I typically don't go to Thumper central to read about XR80s and KL 110s. I assume when my kids start riding that it would be nice to have a place where everything under 120cc's is located, including 2 and 4 strokes.

my nickels worth;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BunduBasher
Yeah, why not, a mini forum will be great, however, the last thing I would want to see is it turn into a kiddies forum, "my XR80 is faster than your XYZ "

That's my concern as well. :mad:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Same here Rich

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
It'll be cool for the young'uns to hang out in their own forum, there are quite a few who don't really have any place here - the young girls probably can't relate to us older women & vice versa (in the women's forum, even though I feel they're part of it & it's cool to read of their achievements & hassles). I know we're talking "mini" bikes, but just think that maybe it could be for bikes & kids up to 12-13yo.

I know in the past discussions have been made about this, with the feeling being anti, due to the "my bike's faster than yours blah blah" posts, but generally the maturity of those that frequent DRN is beyond that (either that, or I just don't see the posts - I felt the Jap forum was that way so have always avoided that like the plague, but occasionally pop in there & find some interesting posts).

I think it's worth a try, heck the vintage forum is doing well, the women's forum's doing good, as is the trials forum amongst others).

Yes, I voted for it (makes no real difference to me, I don't have kids & know which mini bike I'll be buying for a friend's kid once it's finally conceived lol, shame I'll have to wait till he/she's about 8 to ride it, just hope it likes bikes).
Michelle

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Michelle
either that, or I just don't see the posts

:D ... and we'll do our best to keep it that way.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i think it's worth a try (but there's an old saying in my business: "nothing is too much trouble so long as someone else has to do it"). just in the last 3 weeks, i've had 3 sets of parents ask for my input on mini bikes & gear, & due to my advanced age, it would have been nice to come here for advice (still would be on 2 of them). i doubt that the rugrats would make any more inappropriate posts than they already do.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hi. My name is Max. I'm Ol'89r's grandson and I think it's a cool idea.:cool:

Max. AMA #229

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
OK with me

whats wrong with having a place for the younger one, to call there own.

Trail Boss

Sponsoring Member
Jul 25, 2000
I think it's worth a try.
Kids who ride minis today are the future of our sport.
Why not give them and their parents a place to learn?
If it got out of hand the mini board could always be shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom