The current list:

- '87 Honda TLR200 Reflex
- '97 Beta Alp (yup, with a plate)
- '99 Honda XR280
- '02 BMW R1150GS Adventure

I've ridden:
- '95 620RXC
- many 650Ls
- DRZ400 (both the street model and a converted dirt model)
- CRF450
- KTM400EXC RFS
- DR350
- DR200
- XT350
- XR400

Right now the bike Gods are directing me towards the XR650R. This is after much consideration of the XR650L and XR600R. I wish the darned thing had an electric start.

The plan for this bike is kinda 50/50, but not really. I don't think the 50/50 thing is a narrow enough definition for a bike. I want something that will be OK on 20-30 mile paved road stretches, can handle longer ones OK (the blast back to town on pavement after dark), yet still do pack trails. Granted the bike will take some reconfiguration to do the extremes (a bud did 3600 miles in two weeks on his XR600R after prepping it for the pavement and dirt roads just fine) - gearing, tires, throttle lock, seat, etc. but the best I can tell the 600R or the 650R is the way to go.

The DRZ is a GREAT stock DS bike. With the gearing and tire changes and a seat makeover it would make a great all-around DS bike. Lots more power than the 650L, better suspension, less weight, more modern chassis. Having liquid cooling is something worthy of consideration. I did the 280 because I was doing a trip to Mexico and did not want radiators and the chance of a minor tipover leaving me stranded due to a cooling system failure. This IMO is a BIG vote for the 650L or 600R. There are tons of street legal 600Rs out there and this is a great do-it-all platform, particularly if you re-do the suspension and have it lowered about 2 inches. BTW that is what I will do with the 650R - have it lowered. Makes a HUGE difference in how the bike feels size-wise and top heavy-wise. Face it - you don't need 13 inches of travel on a bike like this. Learn how to use what you have correctly and make sure it is set up right. My 280 is a perfect example. Love the way that bike handles offroad. Look a the specs on it sometime - about 10.5 inches of travel F&R.

I'll tell ya what - given the list above, if you are not wanting to do really fast offroad riding, but brisk go-anywhere riding, a lowered late model DR350 with the motor opened up some is hard to beat. It has pretty darned good low end (like the 400 honda vs. the 250), are plentiful and cheap, air cooled, reliable, versatile bikes. The 350 has enough power to cruise 65-70 at altitude without being too buzzy when geared right yet with the right gearing will do pack trails. No, not like a KTM200, but it will do them.

Back the the R for me, I specifically am building it to go on rides with KLRs that we do out here in CO. I plan to have more fun and less heartstopping moments though than on the KLR at the expense of pavement comfort. We do these dirt road over the top of mountains, one after the other, with occasional stretchs of pavement in between, rides. The KLR does not slide, has weak suspension, ho-hum power, and being tall/top heavy makes it scary on ledges and steep downhills, even on jeep roads. The 650R will be like a trials bike in comparison.

Good luck with your decision and get SOMETHING to go riding on! Just keep in mind that the perfect DS bike is the next one you buy, not the one you own. My lists above prove that.

tarter

Feb 23, 2003
I've got a 99 650L on a diet plan and steroids and I practice mx at the local track and it does quite well..race tech suspension 46 kg front springs,hog out the airbox,fmf megamax exhaust,carb jet kit,14t front sprocket,rally knobby tires by metzler,k&n fiter,and some intestinal fortitude to pin the throttle over the big doubles....there's some pictures in the forums under big lou's aftermath party I,m the flyinxr650guy in those picures....oh,and it's street legal in missouri so I ride it 100 miles round trip every day to work and back,so if there is any doubt who is the king of the ELECTRIC START dual sport bikes...let's go riding and see.

Top Bottom