scorch

Dec 23, 2002
Im considering this bike along with a xr400, klx300.

Id like to know how easy maitenance for these bikes are. How frequent are the valve adjustments etc..

Ill be riding both on the street and dirt. I plan on converting the xr or klx to dual sport if i go with them.

Any other info on these bikes would be appreciated. Im looking for a quick, light bike, capable of being very good in the dirt.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I've ridden the DRZ400.

It felt anything but quick and light to me. Then again my bike is an RM 250. One guy that rides with me has a dr, it has zerk grease fittings for the rear which I think are great.

Not having ridden an XR 400, I would still guess that overall this would be the better choice, dependabilitywise. I think I just made up a new word.

Chief

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Service intervals from Honda's factory service manual, 1996-1999 XR400R:
1996-1997 "Regular Maintenance Interval = Every 30 operating days--about 1000 miles"
1997 and newer "Regular Maintenance Interval = 6 months or 600 miles (1000km)"
This includes valve clearance check/adjust; oil & filter change; brake pads; steering head bearings, etc.

Valve clearance inspection/adjustment is really easy on the XR -- handy threaded covers over each adjuster. Just unscrew the cover, check/adj the clearance, screw the cover back on! No oil leaks, no gaskets to mess with (the covers have o-rings.)

Oil changes are a bit of a hassle due to the dry-sump system. Two separate drain plugs to remove, and the filter mounts on the side of the engine, so it drips oil on the crankcase cover if you don't put a rag underneath the filter housing. After you've done it a couple of times, it gets easier.

IMHO: With the varied choices of my riding partners, I get to ride a good variety of bikes -- YZ250, RM400, XR600R, XL600, XR400R, KLX650, XR500, and a somewhat older KTM 2-stroke. For the trail riding I like to do, the XR400 is far and away the best choice.

Jyroscriber

Mar 22, 2008
Repair Question:

Hello! I have a 2001 DRZ400S that recently picked up a dent in the "Magneto Cover" (Part 11351-29F10) which is very slowly leaking oil. Yesterday I went to the store and ordered the part to have it replaced. It has seven screws attaching it to the engine casing, so I thought, "heck, I can do that!"

Now I have the oil drained and screws out, and after pulling on the casing for a bit, I'm second guessing my judgement. It wont come off! I re-examined the new part, and it looks like there are some screws that come internally into the cover.

Question: How do I get the magneto cover off after removing the initial seven screws?

If you know any site online that has more detailed instructions than the mini owners manual that came with my bike, that would help too. Let me know your thoughts...

Jyro

Top Bottom