DS80 Starts then dies out after 1 min

mgolin

Apr 11, 2010
I have a DS80 (original owner)that has a rough start, but will starts. Always dies out after about 60s regardless of idle or running. I have cleaned the carb twice and has made no difference. It is getting gas when I open the drain screw. Any sugestions before I take it in for service. I have not done a complete carb soak.

Maybe a stuck float, but not sure how to check.

Dirtdigger04

Jan 25, 2010
Hey, i am having the almost the same problem with my old childhood toy 2000 DS80. This is not funny, i was just going to post this problem. Well, my problem is that it is running way too rich. Like crazy rich. I had to take off the air filter box cover in order to make it drive a lot better. It is still running like crap, but much much better. That leaned it out. I don't know why i have to do that. There must be a problem somewhere. I cleaned the carb and jets like 10 times, and cleaned every up like the air filter. Everything is stock on bike including jetting. I might be considering a rebuild. If there is anyone to help me with this problem, i would greatly appreciate it.

As for your problem, when was the last time you driven it. Like for me, i stored it for like a year. Then, i started it up a year later and all these problems happened. So i cleaned the carb and everything good. But every since after i stored it has been running like garbage. Remember make sure to have fresh fuel, good spark plug, and a clean air filter. As for the float, you have to like bend the tap on the float to adjust it. It is different than most dirt bike carbs.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
reeds??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did you check the thread sticky'ed at the top of this forum on carb cleaning?

Do you know for sure the bike is getting fuel? Try running it with the fuel cap loose or even off if the tank is not full. If that fixes it the tank is not venting properly. If it's still a problem there is a good chance the petcock is either restricted or the filter is plugged up. Drain the tank and pop it out, pretty easy task. If you have no idea how to properly clean the carb and you do not have a factory service manual don't take the carb apart to check the float level. Let somebody that knowss how to properly do it SHOW you what needs done if at all possible so you can do it next time.

mgolin

Apr 11, 2010
RE: Leak

I had done the cap trick last weekend, and that was not the issue.

Readying the sticky, it is a little confussing on how to set the float with calipers.

Am I assuming right, that if the flowt need adjustment for a leak, that I would bend the tang up away from bottom of boal.

Could someone also please confirm the main jet on inside of carb has no adjustment.

thanks

Top Bottom