DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
Just bolted the new DSP supercross exhaust kit and henry air box w/ the velocitcy stack on a cpl of days ago. Man what a difference!!! This totaly changes the bike. It pulls like a hopped up 250 two smoke. 3rd gear trough the woods is no problem. You dont need to bang gears like a 125 any more. The bike rips off of dead idle!!! no bog or pop. The bike breaths fire. I weigh 193 and this bike pulls very hard and smooth. You skinny guy will think your on a 426 with this set up. Its expensive though. $952 for the torque simular to the 426. You will have to change jetting.No big deal its very easy.

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
any gain in power on the low end?

any loss of power anywhere?

did they give you the jetting changes?
if so, what did you do?

yzf996fxdwg

Jan 29, 2001
Tell us more!! Did everything mount up easily? Was the air box matched well? Did you get the airbox with the carbon boot molded in or did you use your stock boot? Why did you go with the sx pipe and not the mx? We need to know. Thanks.

XTRM250F

Jan 31, 2001
Ya, what fxdwg said
biggrin.gif

bassfool

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 24, 2000
Did you try the pipe without the carbon air box? I am curious as to how much the pipe will help without the air box? thanks for the update

------------------
growing old fast, riding slower, yz250f

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
OK!!! OK !!! The Details. The system realy kicks the bottom and mid up 3 to 4 hp (DSP said it would too)and top is supposed to be the same as stock but my sure feels like its better than stock. I bought the dsp air box and the velocity stack. The jets 172 main (hex) and 45 pilot I bought a chaparell. These jets are hard to get. So hurry. All parts bolt up easily. The exhaust is very loud at low speeds and on top its very quiet. This is a must do for woods riders competing against big bores. They will hate you!!!! Go to dspracing.com and call them they will help you. Oh yeah make sure you have the best rubber money can buy. You will need to get a hose clamp to fit the air box boot for the velocity stack, and dont touch your carb settings Just change your jets and needle position. It will start first Kick. I coated the inside of my carbon air box with epxoy resin to prevent carbon flaking. Flaking happens if the bow is stressed to much.(sick jumps, bottoming, crash,didnt use rubber washers, ect.) email me and i'll give you guys my number if you need. Think you were smiling before? just wait till you bolt this combo up!!!! Jimmy J. Ohio

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
WHOA!!! Mistake. Its a 178 main jet I said a 172 in my last post...Sorry. And that is with pump gas 94 octane. The bike seems to run better for me on pump gas. DSP also said it would. with this set up. Dont dismantle the whole carb guys. just remove the float bowl and change jets and then remove upper slide cover. remove the sprung hex screw and remove the needle with a pair of tweezers. rasie the needle to the 5th clip position.And reassemble. Very easy.Th jet numbers for chaperral are
SD-19009 /21-45 KEIHIN Slow jet
SD-19153 /13-178 KEIHIN Main jet
sorry for the irratic info I'm still on a rush!!! Jimmy J

[This message has been edited by DADCRASHED (edited 02-08-2001).]

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Dad, ive been running the same system for some time now. From a performance standpoint it makes the bike feel like a 300. It pulls stock gearing no problem with the mx head pipe and a 47t rear with the sx head pipe! My only complaint is the noise, that pipe is just too loud!

XTRM250F

Jan 31, 2001
Originally posted by steve125:
Dad, ive been running the same system for some time now. From a performance standpoint it makes the bike feel like a 300. It pulls stock gearing no problem with the mx head pipe and a 47t rear with the sx head pipe! My only complaint is the noise, that pipe is just too loud!

LOUD = FAST

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Not being a spoil sport but LOUD = no bikes allowed! I had a DSP on my WR400 and sent it back as I couldnt pass any sound test that are required to run an enduro up here.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I just can't bring myself to buy an exhaust that is louder than stock. Stock is way too loud as it is. I guess you can find me at the back of the pack.......

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

'01 YZ250F '77 KD100m
'95 KDX200 '75 Road Toad
'79 KX250 '74 Z50A

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by steve125:
Dad, ive been running the same system for some time now. My only complaint is the noise, that pipe is just too loud!

Is too loud mean louder than stock? Or does it mean that stock is too loud also and the DSP is no louder?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
To me stock is ok, the DSP shares the same canister as the FMF. It's much louder than stock.

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
If sound is a issue for you. The DSP system might not be for you. It is deffinatly louder than stock. Ecspecialy in the bottom.The pipe seems to quiet down noticeably on top though. This obviously isnt the best choice for enduro guys needing to meet certain sound levels. HS guys with no sound limit will find the power very usefull. I have to admit 21/2 hours of riding is hard on the ears, but I'm sick like that I'd go deaf just so i could go as fast as possible.
smile.gif
has anyone tried a aftermarket header with the stock muffler? I'll do some research and see what the pipe maker says. I'll let you guys know. Jimmy J.

bassfool

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 24, 2000
Has anyone tried the dsp pipe with the stock airbox? curious as to how much is gained without the spendy airbox. DSP says the pipe will add 3-4 hp, the airbox another one hp. but am curious to hear if anyone has tried this.

------------------
growing old fast, riding slower, yz250f

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
Bassfool, one of the tech guys at dsp said that the air box does give you another pony. However The pipe with the stock air box will increase hp to 3-4 ponies. They tested this with and with out the air box, and got the same results from the Pipe. The air box is much larger in over all mass. This increases air volume. Making you thottle response much quicker. The air box gives you that 2 smoke whip back. You can snap your throttle in high gears with out a bobble, pulling all the way to the top. Is it worth $499? you betcha! I gave up some groceries to buy it. I need to lose another 10 pounds anyway. Buy the Pipe and try it. Get the air bow later if you think you need it. A DRN member in florida is going that route. Just rember It's loud!!
smile.gif
Ever Ride a Harley with drag pipes??!!
smile.gif

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
Using a aftermarket header wont work with a stock muffler. The Pipe diameters are all to large for the stock muffler. DSP,FMF,and WB will all be louder than stock. I cant tell you which one is the quietest out of the three. But I bet its not DSP.:@

Firegod23

Nov 26, 2000
I read that FMF is soon to release their pipe and silencer in titanium also. If it is the power bomb model, it might be a little quiter than DSP. How do their numbers compare though?
Bill

Top Bottom