joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Great riding today. Matt and I started off with 3 or 4 laps on the mx track, a first for him, at barely 7 years old. Fortunately there were only 2 other bikes on the track so we did not get run over or jumped on. Then we hit the beginner loop behind the campsite pond. He loves that trail. He worked his way up to 4th gear, and was getting a little air on the small jumps on the trail.

Finally after an hour or so, he tired out, so it was mx time for me since RickCee and Ricky were nowhere in sight... I ran a # of laps, took a break, then ran some slightly faster laps trying to hold off a guy on a KX250F. Finally after 3 laps I was done and waved him past. Just don't have the endurance I used to. But it was still a good ride. I was dog tired after that. So back to the truck.

Rickcee and Ricky showed up soon after that and said they were going to run the red with Peelskid. Well, I have heard alot about this "Peelskid" character, so this was an opportunity I did not want to miss. Plus word was Mighty Mouse was going to show up and take us to school. :D Met Peel, then Jstroh, both great guys. Peel is a little oldschool, you should have seen him salivate when someone pulled into the parking lot with a 78 Husky on the trailer. It was a nice bike

Jstroh was ready to hit the woods with us, even though he had a big YZ450F. And I thought Crash was nuts for taking his 426 on that red trail I have heard so much about. :lol: But at least Jstroh had knuckle protectors on his. I knew I was in for it then. You see, I haven't quite evolved to the bark busters stage yet...

Rick Cee and Ricky were fired up and ready to go. Ricky was really ready, in fact before we left he had to burn some hot laps on the MX track to get rid of some adrenaline. Man, I wish I still had that kind of energy... So once we were all assembled, off to the dreaded and feared red trail we caravaned. It was not too bad at first, just kinda tight. I only did one impromptu stoppie today, I am getting a little better. :) It was mostly 1st and second gear stuff. We did not see any other riders on the trail. Very peaceful out there. And shady. And cool (payin' attention yet Crash? :) )

I saw how Peelskid earned his name. He really does skid the rear tire of that XR into the tight turns, I even started copying this technique and it worked. Tweeked had gotten a little devious with the trail marking, so we missed a couple turns here and there, but no big deal. Peel seems to know every square inch of this 8000 acre playground, so it was all good.

After a long rest mid- ride with lots of daydreaming and discussion of windsurfing at 62 knots, we finally reached the "Most difficult" section 3. It was difficult. Lots of terrain change, some steep drops and climbs. The highlight was the long, pine needle covered, fairly heavily wooded off camber uphill. I was a little intimidated, especially after watching one of my fellow riders, who shall remain nameless, hit some erosion ruts halfway through and slide a few feet south of the desired line. But after a quick prayer and serious line planning I made the attempt. Didn't quite make it, so after some repositioning of the bike with Jstroh's help, I was able to make it. Whew!

At this point we had been in the woods over an hour and I had a tired young man waiting back at the truck. So we hightailed it back to the parking lot, with our fearless leader (Peelskid) heading the charge. On the way we saw the medics tending to an ATV dude. From the looks of the nearby pine tree and his torn up quad, it looks like it was a bad wreck. But the guy was standing, so I guess he got lucky that time. Those quads scare me...

I rode the bike up the ramp onto the trailer, said adios to RickCee (Ricky had already headed back to the MX track, go figure), introduced Matt and Peel on the way out (that was an experience) and called it a day.

Great riding, an awesome day (except for a brief appearance by Mighty Mouse, but we won't get into that...).

I am going to have to get some of those bark busters soon. Or buy a set of Burleson bend narrow bars... Look forward to riding with y'all again! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom