Rockymountainatvmc.com - Dirt bike & ATV parts

Earthquakes

Is Baja still attached? Anyone heard from Porkchop? He may have fell off his bed? The 7.0 was soso, and I believe the tv is reporting higher, but only 10 miles deep, wonder how much those buildings shook in LA and San Diego? Hold on tight! Vintage Bob

Ol'89r

Super Power AssClown
High Lord Gomer said:
Wow!
89R.....RUN!!
It was a pretty good one. :nod: Shook for about 30 seconds or longer at my house. More of a rolling action than a shaker. I was upstairs at the time which seems to intensify the shaking. No damage.

My wife was in the bathroom with her hair dryer going and said, other than feeling a little off balance, she didn't even really notice it.

The epicenter was in an area where several faults, Elsinore, Laguna Salada and San Andreas all come together.

Good thing you didn't have to go to Sandy Eggo this weekend Mike. :yikes: ;)

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
That was a good one. My sister is packed up and heading back to Florida....lol

_JOE_

Subscriber
I've seen a few good shows on Discovery about plate movement and earthquakes, interesting stuff.

The volcanic stuff is what's rally scary. Yellowstone is a disaster waiting to happen. And Hawaii, I didn't realize that's just a pile of rusty metal riding on sand. Giant pieces have fallen off causing massive waves in the past and it could happen again tomorrow........

oldguy

Always Broken
I just talked to a uy that was at Camp Pendelton for his sons graduation and he said as they were heading to the plane it started rolling. He could tell the californians as they just kept walking while everyone else struggled for balance andhad paniced looks on their faces

Porkchop

Subscriber
Yesterday 3:39 pm,I was seated in my workshop, yacking on the phone with my pal Dago when I felt like I was on the lake in our boat. I mentioned the quake to my pal & it was about 10 seconds later that he felt it & his wife heard it, whilst standing out side. They live 35 miles due north of my location, literally on top of the san andreas fault.
Everything is ok here for now, however socal is over due for another big one. The last big one here was in 94, it destroyed the I-5 corridor in the Newhall Pass & a large part of Northridge, Ca. I heard of a story yesterday, from a motorist travelling from San Felipe north to Mexicali, who saw liquefaction while it was occurring, most who see this don't live to tell the tale, ( big cracks in the roadway & surrounding terrain, that opened up after the quake with massive volumes of water surfacing out of the ground).
I have been in many quakes, 1971 Sylmar(6.1), 1981 Mammoth (6.4), 1987 Whittier Narrows (5-6?), 1994 Northridge ( originally reported at 7.1 then down rated for some unknown reason to 6.5, go figure?) Northridge was by far the most violent of them all, massive lateral shaking with vertical movement, I was bounced what seemed like a foot or so straight up out of bed. Not fun at all....
All of this is a reminder that our building codes are only a minimum requirement when designing & constructing a building. Build dense & strong, with lots of steel, thru bolted sections, over kill foundations, over sized post & beam type framing & so on..
R.V.s & dirt bikes are very useful when we have disasters that earthquakes can cause. :think:
Best Regards, Porkchop

P.S. our location is aprox 350 mile to the epicenter of yesterdays quake, not felt violently here but some substantial movement.
Cal tech reported the epicenter as 125 miles south east of T.J. That places it very near a location known as Laguna Hansen, It's in a range of large mountains that runs north-south in the middle of the baja peninsula. I hope that mikes sky rancho is still standing, It's another 125 miles south of that location.

Last edited:
Baja and So, Cal. are still attached. I am glad to hear Porkchop, and anyone else living in paradise are safe! The pool tsunami was unreal. But, the cracks keep coming. Sumatra is humming again, the ring of fire, I have been real curious how many people think its safe to move back near the beaches. The 7.8 was close, being deeper saved them this morning! Vintage Bob

holeshot

Crazy Russian
Somehow, I didn't feel this one (probably napping at the time). I kinda remember waking up to a car alarm.

:whoa:

I use this resource to observe seismic monitoring Live Earthquake Map And Seismic Activity and I am also concerned about the fact that seismic activity is growing. All the Pacific fire ring is in motion. Just as sad is the fact that the changes are very rapid, which does not coincide with the opinion of many scientists about the gradual nature of these changes.