EE handguards on stock KTM bars?

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I've been trying to get my bike ready and most of my goodies are in place. All I have left to do is install my EE handguards and my E-line skid plate and I'm ready to rock on Saturday - first ride of the season, whooo hooooo!

Have any of you installed EE handguards on the stock KTM bars at the stock width? I hate cutting down my bars but it looks like I will have to
mad.gif
The clamp that goes around the handle bar interferes with the crossbar mount... it looks like I'll have to take 3/8" of the ends of the bar to get the clamp inward enough so it avoids the crossbar mounnt.

Well, I won't be working on it again until later this afternoon so I thought I'd post here just in case someone has a suggestion.

thanks in advance for any replies

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC
NETRA & AMA Member

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'd cut the bars down if they're still stock length and not think twice about it. I always swap to protaper style bars right away so I've never tried what you're asking with EE guards. I did mount some Acerbis Rally Pros to our 125EXC's stock length bars with no problems, though.

The only thing that comes to mind if you don't want to cut the bars is to mount the inner mount above the x-bar clamps and drill another hole in the guards to fit that location.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC, 99 KTM 250 EXC, 99 KTM 200 EXC, 98 KTM 125 EXC, 98 KTM 380 MXC (gone), 96 KDX 200

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I would recommend cutting the bars. The installation of these hand guards is very easy. Good choice!!

------------------

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
WAIT!!

EE says do NOT cut the Magura bars. http://www.enduroeng.com/handguard_inst.htm
Contact them to ensure have the correct parts for the Magura's.
------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 04-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 04-13-2001).]

xryzjj

Dec 31, 2000
i put ee handguards on my 2001 200exc, cut the bars 1/2 inch on each side. gaurds fit perfect without having to be bent. easiest handguard install i have ever done.

------------------

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the replies!

yarbonwick, I think the Magura bars are only on the SX models... magura is the "fat" tapered bar, right? I have regular 7/8" bars.

Anyway.. I milled 3/8" off each end of my stock bars and the crossbar clamps were still in the way so I said "screw it"
biggrin.gif
and bought a set of Ricky bend Renthals. The handguards went right on and I didn't have to cut the bars. The Ricky bars are what I wanted anyway but I figured I'd try to bend the stock bars first - after all, I finally bought a bike that came with quality handlebars,... I wanted to get some use out of them. Oh well
biggrin.gif

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC
NETRA & AMA Member

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Top Bottom