SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
has anybody tried this stuff to see if it really "better"?

i've seen no noticable difference since going to water only with the royal purple brand of water wetter. i'm starting to think my pressure cap may need replacing.

Motolaw

Jan 1, 2000
I am trying out the water and Water Wetter. It may be overkill but I am using distilled water and mixing it according to the ratios on the bottle.

No noticible improvement over DexCool and distilled water at 50/50. But it does seem better then Honda's premixed coolant, which boiled over on me a few times.

To be fair I haven't controlled for temp, riding conditions, etc and anecdotal evidence is just that. YMMV

Mike F.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Steve - Ando had an excellent post on surfacants a while back. It's worth looking at.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Sunruh, Engine ice is a brand of propelyne glycol coolant that is marketed toward dirtbikers.You can by propelyne glycol at walmart much cheaper if you would like to give it a try.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 CR 250

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
bwalker,
i took the 50/50 prestone/water mix out to try the water+wetter combo. i was just asking about EngineIce cause they have big full color ads in the rags. just wondering if anybody had used it and what their results were.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
who needs water cooled? =)

------------------
'84 Can-Am ASE 250
(yes it is a 2 stroke)
see ya on the trail

Marcad

Feb 29, 2000
There is a cheapy alternative to Engine Ice that can be bought at your local Wal Mart? Any brand names? Wouldn't mind giving it a try.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Just look on the container. it will be labeled Prop glycol. I think the brand I noticed was Prestone low tox or something to that effect.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 CR 250

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Steve, I am trying Redline water wetter this weekend.I let you know how it works.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 CR 250
pres. of the anti liberal assoc.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
propelyne glycol has about the same heat transfer rate as regular anti freeze. It is not as good at transfering heat as pure water (the best) water wetter does not increase the heat transfer capability of water or antifreeze. It is claimed to reduce hot spots caused by vapor pockets (steam). Prop glycol can help if a high pressure cap is used and a high temp is run. It tends to reduce hot spots and "steam pockets". The trick is the high pressure and temps though. It can increase cooling capacity only in this fashon and works best on poor engine designs with lots of hot spots (ex. an old cast iron V8 with high compression) Aluminum conducts heat far faster than cast iron and hot spots are reduced as a result.

Chris

------------------
94 Husky 360 2 stroke, Street legal! Ported engine FMF pipe, kehin PWK carb, full knobbies, comfy CR500 seat, Pro Action Showa suspension, Pro tapers, Fast!

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
cool.gif

RiDetILdETh

Jun 27, 2001
:aj: I dont engine ice personally but everyone i ride with does and they love it. It is supposed to have much better heat transfer and a much lower freezing rate ( for those of you that may ride in the snow/cold). :aj:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by RiDetILdETh
:aj: I dont engine ice personally but everyone i ride with does and they love it. It is supposed to have much better heat transfer and a much lower freezing rate ( for those of you that may ride in the snow/cold). :aj:

Engine Ice is nothing but an effective marketing campaign for an overpriced product with no significant advantages. There are much more effective ways to spend your money that won't make you look like a cluleless sap the way Engine Ice does.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well i ordered Egine Ice yesterday and it is on a 3 week backorder. I will let you know if i see any differeance or feel any differance for that matter.

While i am here all i have to do to get the old coolant out is to flush it with water right?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Cuejet, I think that a surfactant does in fact help displace heat by reducing the surface tension of the fluid.

"Sierra" is also a brand name for Propylene Glycol. IMHO, a good clean water with a surfactant is about the best combo one can use for cooling, but the chance of forgetting when it's cold isn't worth the risk. I use proglyc/dist.water 25/75 w/Water Wetter for good measure.
One obvious advantage of Engine Ice is convienience.
( I hate to flame folks products, but if Dave come in here and starts talking about how much cleaner Dionized water is compared to distilled, I'm gonna scream)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Jaybird
( I hate to flame folks products, but if Dave come in here and starts talking about how much cleaner Dionized water is compared to distilled, I'm gonna scream)

If he does, I can assure you we will no longer be polite with him. He tapped out his BS quota long ago around here. :D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
That's how it works, yzeater.

Rich, in Dave's defense...I agreee with him that deionized water is somewhat cleaner than distilled water, I just happen to think that the difference means nada in our application. He does have a point when comparing it to tap water.

k695

Dec 4, 2000
Rich, I`ve been reading on other message boards about Evans NPG+, have you had any experiance with this product, or any opinions.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by k695
Rich, I`ve been reading on other message boards about Evans NPG+, have you had any experiance with this product, or any opinions.

Unfortunately no, sorry.

slowman659

Apr 14, 2002
The best stuff in the world is the Pro Honda radiator fluid,... why? Well, I mean, its all the same right? No! Pro Honda is premixed 50/50 with water, and is the exact amount you need right in the bottle. No thinking involved, just drain , replug drain, pour, buy a new bottle of the stuff, realize your supposed to take the cap off the radiator before you pour, take cap off radiator, pour, replace cap, realize you nearly went riding without radiator cap.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
slowman659,
What exactly is Honda fluid? What is mixed 50/50 with water? Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol?
If it happens to be ethylene glycol, it is far from the best stuff on the planet, just ask you dog after he gets a few sips of it. Also , does the Honda fluid use deionized or tap water?
The thread was about Engine Ice, which is also a no mix fluid that happens to use propylene glycol...which is far les toxic than ethylene glycol.
Just because you happen to use the Honda product does not make it the best stuff in the world...contrary to popular belief around here.

Top Bottom