Every Kdx Rider Should Read This!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
You need to have this link saved on your computer, go through the website and read everything. It will help you with your KDX, save you from grief and frustration and limit all the repeated questions that get answered on this forum. Maybe David will be gracious enough to get it kept at the top of this forum just below the RB carb thread, it will make it easier for you guys to either find information for the first time or reference to it as you show the newer KDX owners where to get information about which pipe, how to jet, fork springs, what mods work best, air box mod, clicker base settings, yada-yada, I mean it's all right there guys. Hope if you didn't know it was there you do now and read it. Tech tips is especially helpful -read it al twice. :thumb:

HERE IT IS: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ EVERY KDX RIDER SHOULD READ THIS!

Difference between 200 and 220
Here>> http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
That's why I took 6 weeks off; I sure wish new guys would take advantage of the huge amount of resource info in archives. I hardly ever see Acutemp, Brush, Cujet, or MilkCow posts anymore; possibly because these same basic questions have been thoroughly covered. After all, it is a pretty simple little motorcycle and the mods available to most folks are bolt on projects.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Ok, ok, ok, I finally see the light...

And I just discovered the edit button, and I grew tired of my newbie post being up here for everyone to see! :confused:

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Wibby,
As Fred points out, hundreds of hours of trial & error mods as well as re-engineering are documented on the Just KDX site. I have found that the smart guys with all the expertise don't enjoy saying the same things over & over; in fact what keeps them checking this forum is the challenge of some new problem or progressive thought to consider. Think of it as school; you get a lot more out of it if you do your own homework...

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I understand what you are saying, but new people just finding this place are gonna keep asking questions, yes the same ones over and over!
Fact is people are lazy, well some of us, LOL

And they are asking the same questions over and over and it is starting to drive me crazy! :worship:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I appreciate both points of view. Still, it is quite true that the same old stuff gets, well......old.

Realizing the 'newbie' aspect is why I continue to answer the same stuff over and over.

The newbies that ask the same questions over and over...and don't listen to what the responses are from the gitgo are a pain. Can't help sometimes but to wonder how some of them ever figure out which end of a wrench to grab hold of (combination wrenches notwithstanding? ;) )

Any poster is much more likely to get assistance if they at least try to do some research on their own. It helps if they have some teensy grasp of english, too!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
The old search function turns up a lot of good info and you don't have to wait for replies. :cool:

Of course when you get stuck there's a lot of support but is a kindness do the research first.

The old adage "give a guy a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and soon he's in the fish business" seems to apply. :thumb:

DCox

Dec 29, 2003
Originally posted by canyncarvr

The newbies that ask the same questions over and over...and don't listen to what the responses are from the gitgo are a pain. Can't help sometimes but to wonder how some of them ever figure out which end of a wrench to grab hold of (combination wrenches notwithstanding? ;) )

Any poster is much more likely to get assistance if they at least try to do some research on their own. It helps if they have some teensy grasp of english, too! [/B]

DCox

Dec 29, 2003
I would like to comment as a "newbie."

First, this site tipped the balance for me. You have invested so much time in helping KDX owners, and there is such a wealth of resource here, that it made my choice much easier.

However, I spent hours trying to answer two basic questions--difference between 200 and 220 as well as why one would have to possibly change piston after break-in. The search function revealed nothing on either of the topics, but I did happen upon the thread for the first question this morning. I am still trying to find the old thread discussions on the latter question . . . .

So then, as a "newbie" who also happens to be quite computer literate, my hat goes off to this site. But try to be nice to us "newbies" as we learn the navigation map that is set up :-).

Originally posted by canyncarvr

Any poster is much more likely to get assistance if they at least try to do some research on their own. It helps if they have some teensy grasp of english, too! [/B]

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your quote points out the exact problem...namely, '...and don't listen to what the responses are from the gitgo...'

Asking the question is not the problem. Yes, there is lots of the same asking of the same question going on. Taking into consideration that the search function is often of no use (and you don't know if you're just not finding something, or it isn't working...kinda hard to tell) I can understand a lot of that.

BUT, it's the second part part of what I said that's the niggling irritation....when the responses to said questions are not heeded or paid attention to.

THAT'S what is irritating.

thatandstufflikethisthatmakesnosenseatallcuzthepersonwritingitthinksit'scooltonotusethespacekeyoranypunctuationyouknowhatimean?

There is a ton of good information on this site. Most other sites I've looked at are full of a bunch of gibberish, trash and 'my bike's better'n your bike!' junk.

I think you'll find that with very few exceptions there is assistance (minus any rancor) to be had for the asking on this site.

Still, you gotta understand that questions along the line of, 'Hi! What kdx will work the best in the 250 open class at the local track?' or, (third post) 'My plug color is fine, but my bike keeps fouling plugs. I'd change the jets if I new how to spell carberater, but I don't so what should I do?...and what is a jet, anyway?'

Wecome aboard in any case.

If there is something you do have a question about, please ask away. Yes, research on your own is a good thing...but if you're stuck, please post the question.

SOMEONE that knows something 'round here will help you out.

And if they don't, there's always the chance that I'll chime in! ;)

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2004
gee...this website just answerd every question ive ever posted on here....

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
I dont want to sound stupid but when I look in the FAQ all i find is stuff on how to post etc. I am using the FAQ link at the top of the site ???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When you look at the FAQ, you see this:

Post 2: Rattling KDX
Post 3: Carb mod for 200s & 220s (incomplete reply, still being worked on)
Post 4: Lowering a KDX also includes links for sources for longer suspension rods
Post 5: How/why to modify the airbox lid
Post 6: 200 v 220
Post 7: What pipe is best for my bike and what manufacturers make one?
Post 8: Help, my brake caliper pins are stuck, what do I do?
Post 9: Is there an MX fender for my KDX? )thanks KDX Freestyle

Each one of the 'Post' numbers is a link. If you put your mouse pointer over it, it will highlight (that's how you know it's a link to someplace else). No, not on THIS thread, but in the FAQ thread. On this page, they don't do anything.

Click on the 'Post' you are interested in and you will go there.

It's not hard to pass up such links as there is NO indication that the words are a link until you hover your pointer over them.

For future reference, take that into account if you post a link. Consider making it a bit more apparent, like making a link look like THIS or maybe something even more obvious like: CLICK THIS!

Both of those links above take you to the FAQ. You got that part, right?

Cheers!

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Ahh I see! I was clicking the FAQ link at the top of the screen:
Forums Active Topics User CP FAQ Members etc etc!!

D'oh! I have already been through this faq thread. thanks

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Isn't there a law stating before you ask a question you have to own a Factory service manual ??? I wouldn't dare take apart a bike without one...and I rebuilt my first small block mopar at 17 They are like bibles... if you're into that kind of thing

cmhollis

Jul 18, 2006
neutral

Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I have just purchased a 96 KDX 200 after many years of not riding. The bike runs great, but when I take it out of gear when it is running, there seems to be a clicking sound. Is this normal?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
This thread is not where questions are asked. You may have noticed there are no such questions anywhere else in this thread?

After (if?) you have read this thread, please check out the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

A moderator will move your post eventually, or possibly just delete it because it is in the wrong place.

You will have a much better chance of anyone paying attention to your question if it is posted in the correct forum and the correct section OF that forum.

The only reason I looked at it is I couldn't believe there would be a pertinent post to a three-year old thread.

Mr. Moderator. Please do delete this post when you move the above to where it should be?

Thanks.

67 Roadster

Dec 6, 2009
As a newbe to this site - not so much to others... I just don't have the time to search. I have have a couple of minutes a day to check on the 'smart guys' on a given subject - mostly on the blackberry. It is HUGE,HUGE, HUGE, you guys answer the questions over and over again. It is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!!! Really you don't know how much it means to me!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom