Falling technique??

After reading the post with that pic of Ivan falling, he said that he knew how to fall properly. How exactly is it done in a variety of situations?

------------------
keith
89/91 cr 125

Yogurt

Subscriber
I would recommend trying to land on the feet.  I'm not saying land standing up like a perfect horse dismount like the Olympic gymnasts (but it sure would be cool) but just try to get feet first.  Then after the feet hit, tuck and roll forward with the momentum.  But trying to do so many thing while under the pressure and the split second it takes is not an easy task.  Sometimes just bailing off is enough, but in most cases of a nasty end over end, get out of harms way, and if you bail off, don't do it so your in front of your bike with it rolling after you.

------------------
-Ryan
'00 CR 125
Minnesota, D-23

On your feet will result in broken/tweaked ankles and knees, in most cases....Yog....On your back (assuming you are wearing the best/proper--shoulder/chest/back protection/pads available) is best...Unfotunately, I speak from experience....

Yogurt is right, though, the best thing to do when "things have gone wrong" is to seperate from the machine...make sure it does not land on you....

BTW: Yogurt: I've seen (maybe you have too) seen Doug Henry do this "*****in' dismount" when he "shorted" a double, and he came up running on two feet.....|So WHAT do I know??

Anyway, BEST of luck--Keep it on two wheels!!!!

Gripper
"99 CR 500R
Vet Int-B MX

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
One of the guys I was riding with last night had a perfect dismount from his 4 wheeler.  He was doubling into the triple when his thumb slipped off the throttle on the face of the jump.  The 4 wheeler ended up straight up and down nosing into the face of the second jump.  He managed to climb up and out of the 4 wheeler and clear the double with his body, landing in an almost sitting position on the downside of the second jump.

As for falling, I try to roll as much as possible.  I caught a lot of grief about my rolling technique in the Greenville, SC Ultracross last fall.  One of the times I crashed in the set of 3 doubles I rolled, rolled again, then realized if I rolled one more time I'd make it over the jump and off the side of the track so I rolled again.  Afterwards people were asking why I was out on the track just practicing my rolls.

When ever I crash all I can think about is Damn this is gonna hurt.  

------------------
Dennis                                            Col Oh
99husqvarna wr250

SRM

I prefer when coming up short on a big jump or when doing a endo at the dunes to lock my elbows, squeeze the bike with my knees, and hold the throttle to the stop.  This always results in a good crash.  hehehe couldn't resist. sorry

If you have to jump off in the air on a table top jump try to dismount to the side of the jump and slide down the side of the jump makes it a smoother landing i have seen a couple of guys do it at my local MX track.I hope i don't have to experience mid air dismounting.

I sure wish I had dismounted in the air on my last crash. Came up short on a double on my 426.  I must have locked my elbows real good because the handle bar ended up dislocating three bones in the back of my right hand, breaking one the joints in the back of that hand, crushing one side of my wrist, and breaking a piece of bone off the other side of my wrist...oh yeah...then I tucked and rolled :
I wouldn't recommend this as a "good" falling technique!!

I don't know how I learned it, but I always jump off of my bike when I crash.  When I am tipping over, I jump and get out of the way.  It works on most of my crashes.  Most times I land on my feet and don't get hurt.

------------------
motor86
85' KDX200(mine)  81' YZ125(Dad's) 
I sure wish I could put one of those powerbands on my bicycle.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
I try to stay with the bike. Why? Well ya' see the suspension on my bike has more travel than the suspension in my body parts. This way the bike can absorb the initial impact and then I don't have as far to go to hit the ground with the secondary impact.

------------------
Air is for planes
KTM 360EXC

I fall all the time. More like my bike gets rid of me. But seriously, when you're crashing stay relaxed and you won't get hurt as bad as when you lock body parts. That's why drunk drivers always walk away from accidents.  They are really relaxed.

i always thought bailing was safest to but about two weeks ago my freind was at the track and had a  new tire that was pretty mean looking ( his old one HE WAS USE TO was bald )  and any way he hit a tabletop and the tire didnt give any and launched him over the tabletop and could have cleared another one right behind but there was none so he bailed came down broke his wrist and the bike landed perfectly flat on two wheels just as smooth as possible so i think im gonna try and ride my wrecks out from now on u might cacth yourself u never know

One of the first things my dad taught when I started riding at age 6 was to get away from the bike when you're going to fall. It doesn't matter how you do it, just try to get off and then hit the kill switch if you're still close enough to do it. Those rear tires turn into chainsaws when they spin freely.

Unfortunately I forgot to mention that to a friend who had only ridden twice before. He dumped a little XR100 on a trail and tried to save it. He ended up leaned waaay over the bike (while it was laying on its side) with his hand still on the throttle. It only took about 2 seconds of the rear tire eating his calf before he finally let go.

------------------
-Kawidude
"Don't mock me because I ride a green bike!"