four50four

Aug 16, 1999
After reading the post with that pic of Ivan falling, he said that he knew how to fall properly. How exactly is it done in a variety of situations?

------------------
keith
89/91 cr 125

four50four

Aug 16, 1999
Sorry for the double post, but I can't seem to delete the other one
frown.gif

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I would recommend trying to land on the feet.  I'm not saying land standing up like a perfect horse dismount like the Olympic gymnasts (but it sure would be cool) but just try to get feet first.  Then after the feet hit, tuck and roll forward with the momentum.  But trying to do so many thing while under the pressure and the split second it takes is not an easy task.  Sometimes just bailing off is enough, but in most cases of a nasty end over end, get out of harms way, and if you bail off, don't do it so your in front of your bike with it rolling after you.

------------------
-Ryan
'00 CR 125
Minnesota, D-23

Gripper

Apr 18, 2000
On your feet will result in broken/tweaked ankles and knees, in most cases....Yog....On your back (assuming you are wearing the best/proper--shoulder/chest/back protection/pads available) is best...Unfotunately, I speak from experience....
smile4.gif

Yogurt is right, though, the best thing to do when "things have gone wrong" is to seperate from the machine...make sure it does not land on you....

BTW: Yogurt: I've seen (maybe you have too) seen Doug Henry do this "*****in' dismount" when he "shorted" a double, and he came up running on two feet.....|So WHAT do I know??
smile6.gif

Anyway, BEST of luck--Keep it on two wheels!!!!

Gripper
"99 CR 500R
Vet Int-B MX

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
One of the guys I was riding with last night had a perfect dismount from his 4 wheeler.  He was doubling into the triple when his thumb slipped off the throttle on the face of the jump.  The 4 wheeler ended up straight up and down nosing into the face of the second jump.  He managed to climb up and out of the 4 wheeler and clear the double with his body, landing in an almost sitting position on the downside of the second jump.

As for falling, I try to roll as much as possible.  I caught a lot of grief about my rolling technique in the Greenville, SC Ultracross last fall.  One of the times I crashed in the set of 3 doubles I rolled, rolled again, then realized if I rolled one more time I'd make it over the jump and off the side of the track so I rolled again.  Afterwards people were asking why I was out on the track just practicing my rolls.

Dec 23, 1999
When ever I crash all I can think about is Damn this is gonna hurt.  

------------------
Dennis                                            Col Oh
99husqvarna wr250

SRM

May 17, 2000
I prefer when coming up short on a big jump or when doing a endo at the dunes to lock my elbows, squeeze the bike with my knees, and hold the throttle to the stop.  This always results in a good crash.  hehehe couldn't resist. sorry

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
If you have to jump off in the air on a table top jump try to dismount to the side of the jump and slide down the side of the jump makes it a smoother landing i have seen a couple of guys do it at my local MX track.I hope i don't have to experience mid air dismounting.
smile4.gif

kcjames

Mar 22, 2000
I sure wish I had dismounted in the air on my last crash. Came up short on a double on my 426.  I must have locked my elbows real good because the handle bar ended up dislocating three bones in the back of my right hand, breaking one the joints in the back of that hand, crushing one side of my wrist, and breaking a piece of bone off the other side of my wrist...oh yeah...then I tucked and rolled :
smile3.gif
I wouldn't recommend this as a "good" falling technique!!

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
I don't know how I learned it, but I always jump off of my bike when I crash.  When I am tipping over, I jump and get out of the way.  It works on most of my crashes.  Most times I land on my feet and don't get hurt.

------------------
motor86
85' KDX200(mine)  81' YZ125(Dad's) 
I sure wish I could put one of those powerbands on my bicycle.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I try to stay with the bike. Why? Well ya' see the suspension on my bike has more travel than the suspension in my body parts. This way the bike can absorb the initial impact and then I don't have as far to go to hit the ground with the secondary impact.

------------------
Air is for planes
KTM 360EXC

FlinginDirt

Jun 4, 2000
I fall all the time. More like my bike gets rid of me. But seriously, when you're crashing stay relaxed and you won't get hurt as bad as when you lock body parts. That's why drunk drivers always walk away from accidents.  They are really relaxed.

greenjello

Feb 14, 2000
i always thought bailing was safest to but about two weeks ago my freind was at the track and had a  new tire that was pretty mean looking ( his old one HE WAS USE TO was bald )  and any way he hit a tabletop and the tire didnt give any and launched him over the tabletop and could have cleared another one right behind but there was none so he bailed came down broke his wrist and the bike landed perfectly flat on two wheels just as smooth as possible so i think im gonna try and ride my wrecks out from now on u might cacth yourself u never know

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
One of the first things my dad taught when I started riding at age 6 was to get away from the bike when you're going to fall. It doesn't matter how you do it, just try to get off and then hit the kill switch if you're still close enough to do it. Those rear tires turn into chainsaws when they spin freely.

Unfortunately I forgot to mention that to a friend who had only ridden twice before. He dumped a little XR100 on a trail and tried to save it. He ended up leaned waaay over the bike (while it was laying on its side) with his hand still on the throttle. It only took about 2 seconds of the rear tire eating his calf before he finally let go.

------------------
-Kawidude
"Don't mock me because I ride a green bike!"

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
I must agree with gripper on his point.  I just did a nice 180 over the handle bars triple-lutz dismount and landed on my feet.  Even with riding boots on, I managed to sprain my ankle real good.  Another friend that was with me flew over a hill climb and landed head first on rocks.  He was ok, helmet is damaged.  Always wear proper gear even if just testing your bike out for a few.

deputy dirt

Apr 9, 2000
I tried the "landing on your feet" thing from an honest 30'  I got a compression fracture in my spine.  

------------------
Deputy Dirt

If you never fall down,
you're not challenging your self!

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
  While having no motorcycle experience (seriously), I do have experience at hitting the ground hard.  At the U.S. Army Airborne school, they teach you to spread the impact of landing (falling/crahing into the ground) across your body. First, it's a 5 point landing, where you twist and crumble to the ground.  It's a bit difficult to explain, but here are the 5 contact points - 1. balls of your feet, 2. side of calf (between ankle & knee), 3. thigh, 4. hip/butt, and 5. side/lat/upperarm area.

The most important thing is to keep your ankles & knees locked together.  Seperately, it's much easier to break an ankle.  Together, they can take much more impact.  Next, bend your knees and twist to the side, try to get the top of your boots into the ground, otherwise you'll impact straight on your hip.  Now you're collapsing into the ground and the impact is being spread across the fleshy parts of your lower body.  At this point you kind of "roll" with the force/gravity across your side.  I should also mention arm position so that you don't injure elbows, wrists, arms, or shoulders.  Tuck your chin down and put your fists under you chin with your elbows locked in tight over your ribcage.  That's it!  You'll flip right over your shoulder/lat sometimes because gravity isn't through with you yet, but that's nothing.  This takes a little practice and you should practice if you want to do it right.  Start off just standing in your back yard and practice locking the body into position and collapsing.  Then, when you're comfortable, paractice jumping off a chair and taking a fall.  

This may or may not apply, or be difficult to apply to racing, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there for your benefit.

four50four

Aug 16, 1999
I could see how that would help if I spontaneously combusted while falling off my bike in the air
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
.........Actually, now that I think of it, that's probably the best summarized all-around advice I've ever heard. Think about it, fall of my bike, stop, drop and roll, catch on fire, stop, drop and roll, get thrown out of a VW bus, stop, drop and roll.....Thanks! I now know the meaning of life!
smile.gif

------------------
keith
89/91 cr 125
"In a perfect world, there would be no reason to further succeed"

<p align=right>07-04-2000 :Edited

SHADOWMASTER

Jun 24, 2000
I remember when i used to ride my kx100 I learned the true meaning of endos,
I remember I was going up to this 30ft double and right when I was going off the lip my plug fouled ,and I lost all that speed and all I could think of is Im not gonna endo again ,and right before I hit the back of the landing I jumped off the bike over the handle bars and landing at the bottem of the landing and in split seconds my damn bike came rolling on me actually my legs but the worse thing is when I dove of the bike it looked like I was doing a superman but wasnt on the bike and when I landed i was on my stomach but most of my fall went into my almost broken wrist and a some hurt ribs from hittin a couple of rocks and when the bike landed on me it must have pulled my leg in a certain way cause I had pulled my hamstring not one of my worst crashes but couldnt go to practice the next day that sucked . But when it all comes down to it if I have a chance to bail I will.<p align=right>07-07-2000 :Edited

four50four

Aug 16, 1999
And I thought I had a run-on sentence problem!
wink.gif

------------------
keith
89/91 cr 125
"In a perfect world, there would be no reason to further succeed"

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Maybe I'm just bad luck to be around but I've never seen anyone bail off the bike without injury. Most have at least a few broken bones somewhere. The last guy I saw bail shattered both bones in both lower legs, he over jumped a 65' TT by 30', dang beginners :eek:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I'm with Patman...my bike has suspension and I don't! The best time I saw a guy bail was when he was right in front of me on a 70 something foot tabletop. Right in the middle he had a dose of boner air going and just threw the bike away...WTH is this guy doing?? I ended up landing on his foot with his bike ghost riding right in front of me over the next jump and off the track where it finally fell over. That musta hurt :ohmy:

Top Bottom