medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Any Michigan or Indiana women out there who want to try a Family Enduro? I've never done one, I'm super slow and I wouldn't leave you behind.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
They are fun to do. Haven't done one in a couple of years. Seems to conflict with our regular racing a lot of times, plus my work schedule...

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
It is family friendly woods riding. The event in Kalkaska is 5 miles of two track and 7 miles of trail - a good combination.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I dunno..I still managed to take out a tree....

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm gonna try my first family enduro this Saturday at Roselawn. From what I hear, Roselawn is usually around a 12-15 mile loop, and you to try to average 12 mph on the first loop and 18 mpg on the second loop. Looking forward to trying one!

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Hey Nikki, I'm planning on going to Roselawn too! I have no idea what to expect and hopefully I won't get lost. 18 mph seems awfully fast. Wave as you pass me.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Dang Nikki is turning all woodsy on me!

Sandy we'll have to meet up at Martin and ride again sometime. Oh Sandy you'll do fine. Phil found out my speed for the first loop is better. He tried to go all fast and blew his times. He learned the 2nd family enduro we did.

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
medwaste said:
Hey Nikki, I'm planning on going to Roselawn too! I have no idea what to expect and hopefully I won't get lost. 18 mph seems awfully fast. Wave as you pass me.

Cool, I'll be #402 on a CRF150RB, looking forward to meeting you! Do you have numbers on your bike?

Yeah, from what I hear the 12 mph is pretty easy, even for the kids on the smaller bikes... but I'm thinking the 18 mph will be a pretty good pace. I really don't know what to expect either, but it sounds like fun... and is close to home, 35-40 minutes for me!

Sorry Tracie, yep.... I'm all about playing in the trees this year!! Man, if someone would have told me I would say that a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed it!! ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
nikki said:
Cool, I'll be #402 on a CRF150RB, looking forward to meeting you! Do you have numbers on your bike?

Yeah, from what I hear the 12 mph is pretty easy, even for the kids on the smaller bikes... but I'm thinking the 18 mph will be a pretty good pace. I really don't know what to expect either, but it sounds like fun... and is close to home, 35-40 minutes for me!

Sorry Tracie, yep.... I'm all about playing in the trees this year!! Man, if someone would have told me I would say that a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed it!! ;)

Another one bites the dust....Nikki is a woods rider, WOW! :cool: Sorry I can't be at Roselog I'll be at the national Enduro in Tennessee. Have fun!! And come up to MI for more of 'em.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Nikki, you should have been riding with Fred and I at Cooperland a few years ago.
Reminder....riding mini bikes during the night time poker run...BIG fun!

I hope you have such a great time in Roselawn that you will make a trip to Michigan for a future FES event. Hint...Pine Cone - July 24th.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I guess family enduros where you are are a bit different than where I am.

In AMA district 36 (Northern California) a "family" enduro is typically 50 miles in length. The difficulty is geared for the "C" and "D" level rider. There will be a fair number of young kids on 50's that ride but they generally rely on help getting through the more difficult spots. A recent family enduro had speed segments from 14 MPH to 23 MPH. It is typical in even a family enduro for there to be "special test" sections where it is expected that you won't be able to maintain the speed averages.

In District 37 (desert just north of the Los Angeles area) they don't have any "family" enduros per se. What they do instead is have the "D" level riders only ride the first loop, which is typically around 45 miles. The problem is that the A/B riders are riding it as well, and if they make it too easy then the A/B riders are bored and if they make it too difficult then the C/D riders are houring out. Minimum age is 12 years old so they don't have the little kids on 50's. They do allow quads, however, which D36 does not.

When I see the route sheet I like seeing speeds in the 18 to 24 MPH range. It really worries me when there is a section that is only 12 MPH as these are the sections where I consider disassembling my bike and reassembling on the other side...... When you see 5 miles of 42 MPH it generally means a boring valley crossing. And then they just love to throw a 4 MPH section in, just for laughs.

If you are heading out for your first enduro you don't really want to ride with other first time enduro riders. Find an experienced buddy that you can ride with and just follow them.

Rod

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Nikki you will probably do quite well because you understand numbers. I have a hard time because I can't figure out the stupid time sheets and route maps. I look at the numbers and go :bang:

Although the few I have done I didn't do too bad =) That was lucky though...

Have fun! You aren't completely dropping moto right? You guys all still have to come to Red Bud Vet Fest this year!

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Roselawn was a blast! Those trails were tight. I'm so totally in awe of everyone who rode today. How can you go that fast? I'm pretty sure my times were slow only because I had to pull over so many times to let people pass me. This was great fun! I'm starting in the last row next time.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Nikki, I'm so sorry I missed you today. I worked a double yesterday and didn't read your post. How did you like it? Were you challenged?

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Darn, I wish, I had noticed this post before Roselawn. If I had I would have hunted a few of you up. I rode Saturday and had fun.

Nikki, you and I even rode the same minute.

Medwaste I lost time because I had to pull over for faster riders, so in the future I am picking later numbers.

Anyone going to Kalkaska this weekend?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had a blast at Roselawn Saturday! As my first enduro, I had no idea what to expect, but it was a lot of fun!!! Loved the course, it was marked really well, and the second loop seemed much easier since the trail was worn in, and some of the logs were smashed down and stuff. I rode with AJ, Hogie, and Ron (all DRN members), and we all stayed pretty much together both loops, so that was fun. We finally kinda figured out the scoring/timing thing AFTER we missed the first loop reset, and thought we were running behind, so lost a bunch of points on the next two checks. But we did well after that, and now I understand this enduro scoring thing way better.

I was pumped to finish the second 18 mph loop only 2 minutes late. My buddy Flyin Ryan (D-17 Enduro director) told our group we probably couldn't do 18 mph, so I tried to prove him wrong, but came up a little short! But it was a good ride, my first race on the 150 this year (rode one HS on the 250F), and I just love that little bike (and the auto-clutch) for the woods! This was also my first race ever with barkbusters, and boy was I glad I had them! That was the tightest stuff I've ridden yet, but it was a lot of fun on the smaller bike. I would have been pretty miserable if I was on the 250F!! The log crossings were fun too, I'm finally getting better at those sideways logs! The whooped out section nearly kicked my butt at the end of the second loop, as I was tired, and they were more dished out and seemed to go forever! But it was a blast, and I can't wait to ride Roselawn again next year!

Sandy - I walked the pits a couple times before the riders meeting, looking for women riders with MI plates and/or with a CRF150R, but couldn't find you. Too bad, I would have liked to meet you! What row were you on? Are you the Sandy that won the women's class?

WomanRider - no way, small world! Wish I knew you were part of the dirtrider crew, and I would have introduced myself! Are you from around here, or another Michigan rider? Kalkaska is 5 hours from me, won't be making that trip!

Mike - nice seeing you on Saturday! Good to see a familiar face when doing something new ;) I would love to do more of the FES races, as I had an absolute blast! But it looks like only two more are within a few hours from me (Lawton and Goshen), and the rest are like 4+ hours away! And yeah, I remember watching you and Fred FLY around the Cooperland woods on the pit bikes, LOL! I never left the track the 3-4 years we went down for DW.... how things change!!

Tracie - yeah, I think I totally have the scoring thing down now, after the race and screwing up big at two early checks. Was pretty early to those two, lost 14 points, only lost 11 points in the other six checks combined!! Ended up getting 3rd in women's, three points behind 1-2, all because we listened to our buddy Ron who had an odometer, and kept telling us we were late because we missed a reset, LOL! Oh well, still had a great time! And I totally hope to make it to Vet Fest this year, I was bummed to miss it last year. So hope to see ya then, if not sooner!

Here are some videos from Saturday. I have three clips from the first 12 mph loop, but my camera sucks and the sound is like delayed and stuff. And Ron, who was on our row Saturday, has HD video of the whole race (8 videos total, first 5 are the 12 mph loop, last 3 are the 18 mph loop).

http://vholdr.com/users/mxnikki102
http://vholdr.com/users/rondaugh

Last edited:

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Nikki and WomanRider, You both did great! The video was fun to watch Nikki, you make it look easy. No, I did not win the women's class-that is an error and Mike's been notified. Hey, that means you placed 2nd. But I did finish one loop and only crashed twice. Baby steps, One man's ceiling is another man's floor and all that. I will see you at Lawton for sure. Kalkaska? How steep are the hills?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hey just finishing one loop is a heck of an accomplishment, good job!! :cool: That was a long course, like an hour and a half or so, just for the first loop! Only two crashes, that's not bad. Like you said, baby steps. I'm really enjoying the offroad thing, so I have been practicing as much as I can in the woods, and with logs and hills and all that good stuff, and trying to follow people who are faster than me and get tips on the stuff I have problems (like sideways logs!), and it's finally starting to get easier. I'm still trying to get through the complete rock creek at our local offroad park (Fox Valley), but so far, I've just done very small sections at a time. Baby steps! :)

Top Bottom