MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
ok ive asked this before but didnt get any answers. when im coming out of a straight away going say 3rd or 4th and need to jump a jump that is say 2nd how do i do this? do i slow down and shift gears untill right at the jump im at the right speed and gear or do i keep it fast and let off the gas and bleap at the very last moment or what? thanks

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Can you back off and make the jump in 3rd or 4th? If you can, and you need to be in a lower gear after the jump, I downshift while in the air. I've got a small tabletop here that requires me to ease up in 3rd and then I need to be in second for a tight corner that has a double coming out of it, so while in the air I downshift to second and then things seem to be set up perfect for that corner and double. Try it and see if that helps out.

------------------
-tc
'98 KX-250
'98 KX-125 (wife's)
'95 CR-80 (son's)
'00 PW-80 (daughter's)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
you read it wrong i think...i ment like if your racing and in a straight away in 4th and you come up to a jump that you jump in top of 2nd speed how do you back off? do you downshift or just let off the throttle and keep that gear or what?

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
No, I understood. What I was trying to say is it depends on what is after the jump. If you slow down in 3rd or 4th, then you will probably be going too slow to pull that gear after the jump. I back off to get the right speed for the jump and then downshift in the air to have the right gear to accelerate away from it. If instead you land in 3rd or 4th, and you can still pull the gear, then you probably didn't back off that much. I wouldn't downshift on the straight leading to the jump. Try it both ways and see what feels better.

mxpaul

Sep 11, 2000
If it's a jump you can clear at the top of second and you are coming at it in 4th then you can drop to 3rd before the jump and coast the jump face(body position real important) absort the jump with your body to reduce the distance you go. You don't have to blip the throttle at the top of the jump unless your body position is not far back enough, and/or there is a severe kicker at the lip.

The next step after you've mastered coasting the jump is to downshift to 3rd later and break on the face of the jump, that's how the pro's do it.

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
This is one of the areas that my fast friends pull away from me.
You should be accelerating all the way to just before the jump, then braking to scrub speed just before the jump. Make sure you are not on the brake when you actually launch.

This is the fastest way. For me however, I like to be at the right speed well before the jump. This tends to leave me coasting a lot between jumps and I loose time to the faster guys. It seems like I ride from jump to jump, planning for the next jump, where the fast guys ride for the straights and the jumps are obstacles to slow down for.

------------------
Reeko
(Now a Red Rider)
01CR250 (Me)
00XR100 (Wife)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
well ive tried the let off the throtel thing and it hurt.... I went over a table top that at best i can over in the mid of 2nd without overjumping the turn right after it over in the top of 3rd but at the face i let off the gas and leaned back as far as i could. i endowed it and i think it is because i am only 100 pounds as apposed to you guys that weigh more and can put more force on the bike? also when you say drop into 3rd do you mean keep it in low 3rd all the way until your in the air or drop it into 3rd with no throttel at all?

[This message has been edited by MoO_coW (edited 10-16-2000).]

mxpaul

Sep 11, 2000
Well, then I would recommend watching someone faster than you on that same jump and see what they do. Every jump is different, but you should be able to coast almost any jump if you get enough speed before the jump face and get the right body position before and during the launch. Don't just let the bike toss you around, learn to move around on it more and absorb the bikes movements with your legs and arms as you maintain your center of balance.

On shifting down to 3rd: If you can catch 4th in the straight but need to scrub off some speed for the jump, I recommend getting off the throttle and downshifting to 3rd which will cause engine breaking to help slow you down for the jump and you will be in a better gear when you land after the jump. So really your not coasting, but slowing down by downshifting. Like I said, after you can manage the jump that way then you can start waiting longer before letting off and you would then downshift to 3rd and use your breaks, then let off the breaks just as you get ready to launch. This requires precise timing and you have to work up to it.

[This message has been edited by mxpaul (edited 10-16-2000).]

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
ok i think i things are piecing together now. but when you down shift and or use the break are you hard on the gas/a little/not at all or what? thanks

mxpaul

Sep 11, 2000
Ultimately you should be hard on the gas through the straight, then off the gas, hard on the breaks, and downshift (all at the same time) as late as possible without over shooting your jump. Like I said though, work your way up to that. Start by accelerating hard and then at the point you want to slow for the jump, downshift(no throttle) and just concentrate on clearing the jump without using your throttle on the face. You have to be comfortable coasting the jump before you can even thing about braking on the face of it.

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
MowCow i guess your talking about New Vienne's Huge triple and just before that the 2 little doubles or r u talking about the long staight way just after the Tripple into that small table top into a single around to the left corner?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
the one on the front side facing the creak where there is a singe then a double then a triple that most people double and it goes right into that left turn....i think i have every thing worked out now though

Top Bottom