XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
What the hell was the "freelance journalist" doing up there on the podium with a Suzuki pit crew shirt? I'm gonna start rooting harder against the yellow boys if his grill is gonna be a fixture up there :pissed:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Ya! What the heck? I saw that too. First I thought it was a guy that looked like him, then saw him later on the podium. Wonder if he's like the PR guy. Also he's always riding a KTM on the Dirt Rider show. Now is it going to be a Suzuki? :coocoo:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
He now works for his father-in-law at Suzuki.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Basking in the reflective glory is he? I just can't imagine what he would do to help out?? :debil:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Thump said:
I talked to Ken a few weeks ago, he said he is working public relations for Suzuki/RC.
I hope you thanked him for stepping out of the way so Jimmy Lewis could make a proper magazine :laugh:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Thump said:
I talked to Ken a few weeks ago, he said he is working public relations for Suzuki/RC.

I'm sorry. :rotfl:

I don't know why I don't care for him. Other than the fact that he ruined Dirt Rider Magazine. I guess he comes off as an industry wannabe/hangeron.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Timr said:
I'm sorry. :rotfl:

I don't know why I don't care for him. Other than the fact that he ruined Dirt Rider Magazine. I guess he comes off as an industry wannabe/hangeron.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I never liked his writing style. I never saw an article from thim that did not mention his close, personal relationship with Jeremy Mcgrath. At least he is not stinking up a magazine at the moment. Hopefully he can take Tom Webb from Dirt Bike with him!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Well I think he is alright. He likes his job, enjoys the sport and the people involved in the sport. IMO he is not the arrogant prick people say he is, but I have only talked to him a handful of times. Whether you like his work or not is one thing but my guess is most of you don't know him nor have ever spoken to him and I think it is easy for you to jump on the "Bash Faught" bandwagon...

I'm not going to get into a debate about KF, it is just my opinion of him. I am sure that some of you dislike him for on reason or another, whether you know him or not, thats your opinion and thats cool.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I dislike him mainly because he is really annoying to watch on the "Dirtrider adventures" TV show.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I guess the question to ask your (collective) selves, is; would you have done the mag or TV show better and would anyone care?

I can tell you from experience, it's difficult to take when you put your heart and soul into something and get bagged on hard for it. Maybe he was the wrong guy, not enough universal appeal, but he gave it all he had, I don't think there's many that know the guy that would argue that point. I'm not a KF fan (on a professional level), but I will never dog the guy for not trying to get it done as best he knew how. That's all any of us can do.

Highflier

Nov 27, 2001
Other than the MC name dropping, I thought he did a good job. I may be wrong, but didn't DR start the individual rider reports in bike test during his watch? These are a whole lot more infomative than the average "score" most test offer.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
dirt rider mag under k.f. sucked!

Put it this way.Did you not renew your subscribtion to dirt rider because it basically sucked under his regime?I did,and had subscribed since day one.If your gonna test a bike test it stock so I can get an idea of its shortcomings,dont throw thousands of dollars at it and say,"after we installed a such and such the bike performed flawlessly.How lame!Just dont care for the dude.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Never talked to the guy but I do remember how Dirt Rider and for that matter Dirt Bike Magazines used to be and how they had deteriorated and who was at the controls when the ship started to sink. Is he the only one? Nope. Did he do it worse than anybody else? No but he sure didn't do better either. Having your work made public means you open yourself to public comment. This is not just for magazines but for web sites, buildings, things that are bought at the store. I don't know that everyone has the same perspective because of age or time in the sport. I've never talked to Jimmy Lewis either but I believe he has the right idea, he's not going to turn DR into a retro old bike read but I believe he is going to address the mega buck buildups that are nothing more than additional advertising for the most part and plug in technical information that is actually useful. Good night he's got Dr. Dirt back!!! I bet he's going to have content that shows you how to do things and not just who to send it to to have things done for you. I'll suspect there is a greater chance that Dirt Week as an event would get covered in DR under Jimmy Lewis' leadership than any other magazine, I mean actual coverage not just a little blurb. Jimmy Lewis seems to be more interested in dirt bikes than being one of the in crowd at the pro ranks, he seems to be one of us. Is Ken Faught a bad person? I don't think so but he was not a good leader for a magazine. Will he do well at his new job? I think it's a better fit for him and it's sort of difficult for your father-in-law to can you so his chances are good.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
I guess the question to ask your (collective) selves, is; would you have done the mag or TV show better and would anyone care?

I can tell you from experience, it's difficult to take when you put your heart and soul into something and get bagged on hard for it. Maybe he was the wrong guy, not enough universal appeal, but he gave it all he had, I don't think there's many that know the guy that would argue that point. I'm not a KF fan (on a professional level), but I will never dog the guy for not trying to get it done as best he knew how. That's all any of us can do.

Okie,

I totally agree with you. My opinion of Mr. Faught went south when he refused to respond to a letter that I wrote him questioning some of the changes that were made to the magazine. I didn't expect him to print my letter in the mag or reply there, but he just blew them off and I too was a subscriber to DR from day one.

On the other hand, Eric Gorr, did reply to my letter and made some very valid observations about the differences between US moto journalism and UK/European moto journalism.

Jimmy Lewis seems to be taking the magazine back in the direction of the UK/European approach. That is, the most important aspect of the content is to convey to the reader the riding experience, no matter if it's a bike test, race report, or event recap.

I'm sure KF is a pretty nice guy. My lack of respect is only based on my personal experience with the product of his professional work. In fact, I'd love to talk to the guy about his days at Dirt Rider. Since I work in the media too, I have access to qualitative readership data that I wanted him to discuss.

Oh well. I'm thinking about sending in a subscription card for the new Dirt Rider.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
. . . Jimmy Lewis seems to be more interested in dirt bikes than being one of the in crowd at the pro ranks, he seems to be one of us.
That's my whole problem with Faught in a nutshell, and why I'm ecstatic with Jimmy Lewis as his replacement. Rather than a sycophant to the pros, we have a pro-level guy, who's actually a pro-level guy in almost every aspect of dirt biking! And he's "one of us", doesn't "talk down" to you. I hope he's a fixture on the Dirt Rider Adventures show so we can get to know him better. (as long as he doesn't take any time away from Molly Culver . . . hummina hummina!) ;)

Moose Run to Baja, Langtown to Hangtown, Daytona to Dakar, Jimmy Lewis has done it all. Faught, well, he's a close personal friend of Jeremy McGrath. :coocoo:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I just can't imagine what he would do to help out??

Team Suzuki did say he has an awfully feminine mouth. :think: :ohmy: :ohmy: :yikes:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
Moose Run to Baja, Langtown to Hangtown, Daytona to Dakar, Jimmy Lewis has done it all. Faught, well, he's a close personal friend of Jeremy McGrath. :coocoo:

AMEN! :cool:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Excellent post XRP!

I love the DR!! I'd be curious to see what the subscription numbers look like since Jimmy took over

Top Bottom