vtkdx

Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys. I posted the earlier link about my bike not going quite as good as it should. So after new 93 octane gas with Blu-Ray oil, clean carb, good reeds, a 155 main, and burning out the exhaust. We finally decided to rip it apart due to the KIPS theory. Everything looks good, but I'm gonna replace the piston with a Wiseco 66X58 piston, and a Cometic top end kit. Is this the right way of going about it? I hope so.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The bore looks good with decent crosshatching? Check the rod bearings for play, and the crank bearings as well. If everything looks right you should be good to go. Remember the forged wiseco piston NEEDS a warm up routine. Break it in well, and then warm it up to temp before EVERY ride.

J.

vtkdx

Mar 29, 2009
Hey Julien thanks again for the response and help. Just a quick question though about break in and warm up. I've never redone a piston except for on my sled. Just wondering what that would entail?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Eh, you know the saying about opinions and a-holes, everybody has one. I say 3 cycles of heating up and cooling down will do the trick. With the bike on the stand, start it up. Don't WOT it, but don't let it just idle either. Try to constantly vary the rpm until the engine gets up to temp. Shut it off and let it cool. Repeat 3 times, and then take it out for a spin staying off WOT for the first 15-20 minutes. After that you should be good to go. For future runs, just let it warm up about 5 minutes before you take off.

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I believe in getting it as fat as posible ,Idle circut and let it idle up to temp just blurping the throttle a tiny bit while as nearly fouling the plug( mening use a biger idle jet) and do that 3 times ....use each plug until it will not start anymore.

after that let her rip up to half rpm for 30minute run time on the same idle jet clearing it out by bumping the throttle to get into the main (and saving plugs) 2 times.
then begin jetting and enjoy a long engine life

but yeah do what you think best as aways

Last edited:
Top Bottom