skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
My girlfriend (soon to be my wife) is interested in getting her first dirtbike.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'4"/135
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 5/10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Fields, trails, woods
4) Do you have any riding experience? Manual shift ATV's
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I will, she will not
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 strokes are my poison, but don't know what she would prefer, she has no real experience with either.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All brands but KTM within 30 mins
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? ~$1000
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 21
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: Full framed dirtbikes are too tall, she has shorter legs.

Last edited:

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Hmm, thats definitely something to consider. My honda dealership doesnt have the 230. Is it comparable in size to another Honda? I don't know that I've ever seen one in person or been close to one. I also have not seen the Yamaha 230 model.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
The $1000 thing is just a guesstimate. If I find a bike that is worth keeping for awhile that I don't think she will be getting bored with in 6 mos, then I'll fork up some extra dough. But I'll definitely be buying used instead of new. Probably 2-3 yrs old.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Back in 2003 I bought her a XR200. The 230 is an improved model with push button starting. I got tired of starting the bike for her. The 230 has upgraded styling.

She couldn't pick up the TTR230. although they're close in weight the Yamaha carried the weight higher and felt awkward.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
CRF150F is what I meant, sorry, haha. She is about 5" shorter than your wife, and short legs, so I think the size of the TT-R125 should be about right. I saw one of those today at Yamaha while trying to dig up a used kick lever for my CR, haha.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
BTW, BigRedAF, there really isn't a way for me to send you a private msg, but I was wondering if you knew what years CR's kick levers would fit on my 88. I broke mine this morning, just the lever itself. I found a bunch on ebay for newer bikes but none for the same year as mine.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If she is a bit aggressive and will rise to a challenge there are a great many bikes that will suit her.

If this dirt bike thing is more your idea than hers and if a bad expereince will end it then I would highly recommend a smaller, lighter bike with electric start.

Someone who looks for a challenge will come to a hill and say "I'll try that!" and off they will go. If they don't make it, no problem. They might curse the bike for being too small or needing more power.

Someone who looks at the hill and says "No way!" will never need the bigger engine or longer travel suspension. They will be much more comfortable on a bike that allows them to put both feet on the ground at the same time. Having the "magic button" that gets the bike running again will save a lot of frustration.

If she has been riding a quad then you should have an idea on which way she will lean. Don't expect her to ride the bike up anything that she wouldn't have taken the quad.

If in doubt, err on the easy side. If you buy too small of a bike and it isn't suiting her needs you can always sell it an buy another bike. If you buy too big of a bike that she can't handle or gets frustrated with (because she can't start it) then she might just declare herself done with dirt bikes.

I would think something like a Yamaha TTR-125 or possibly a TTR-250 would be a good bike to start with.

Rod

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I would think that just about any kick start lever from 85 until the aluminum frame came out around 2000 would fit. The general size and shape of the bottom end remained the same even when they went to the case reed motor. I won't put money on it but if the price is right and it's a couple years either way give it a try.

Hergert521

Mar 17, 2008
BigRedAF said:
The CR150F replaced the CR80R and is a full blown race bike. It's about twice the money of a 230.

Hello -

I've got a 99CR80 Big Wheel. I was about the same weight & height as your girlfriend when I got the bike & think this would be an excellent bike for her if you could find one. I learned to ride on this bike, it's a great beginner bike, plus it can get up & go if you want it too. I took a lot of spills learning how to ride on this bike & it kept on moving! Easy bike to start, don't have to kick this crap out of it. I'm not that fast, I mainly just ride for fun occasionally and this bike definitly serves that specific purpose.

Otherwise I've ridden a few KX100's. Those are similar to the CR80 big wheel if you are looking for a 2-stroke and not the 150.

Natalie

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
If it's a first bike and she has shorter legs, I'd also say go with the TTR-125 or crf150f. They are the same seat height and weight. I'm 5'0" and have no problem picking up my Yamaha or starting it plus I've ridden it on mx tracks, woods and sandy trails. It's been an excellent bike and hasn't broken down yet. And was bought used. I will continue to use it for trails this year but I've outgrown it skillwise on mx tracks.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
BigRedAF said:
The CR150F replaced the CR80R and is a full blown race bike. It's about twice the money of a 230.

You mean the CRF150R, the F is the trail model and the R is the race bike.

At her height and weight she would be fine on a 125 or some women prefer the 85cc big wheels. I found the 80s and 100s to be too small for me and I felt cramped. I'm 5'3" and 120lbs. I also race MX and riding a smaller bike would be a huge disadvantage. For some play riding those would probably be fine.

Hergert521

Mar 17, 2008
MXGirl230 said:
You mean the CRF150R, the F is the trail model and the R is the race bike.

At her height and weight she would be fine on a 125 or some women prefer the 85cc big wheels. I found the 80s and 100s to be too small for me and I felt cramped. I'm 5'3" and 120lbs. I also race MX and riding a smaller bike would be a huge disadvantage. For some play riding those would probably be fine.

I agree. After I learned how to ride a bike, I bought a kx 125. It feel a lot more comfortable going through the whoops & on jumps. On the 80 I felt like I was going to go over the bars. But yet on the 80 I could turn corners better.

Good luck:)

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
BigRedAF said:
I have to correct you on this. It's the CRF150R that replaced the Cr80r, those are the race bikes. The CRF150F is the plain jane air cooled offroad bike. Sorry, I'm a perfectionist.

Anyways I am picking up a bike for my fiance this weekend. We are looking at the DRZ-125, CRF150F, and the TTR-125. The DRZ and TTr have the option of the larger wheel, which is what we'll need. You can modify these bikes later on if she get's bored of them, that's the great thing about them.

J-man

May 16, 2007
I agree the CRF150F would be a great bike for her. I have one and it was the perfect bike for me to start out on. The electric start is nice, she should be able to pick it up, and it has never let me down in a trail.

Top Bottom