hyperrust

Feb 19, 2005
Hey all, I'm a 25yo male looking to buy my first dirt bike soon. My info:
1. 6'2'" 180lbs
2. Let's just say I played golf and ran track in high school. There are no big jumps in my near future.
3. I want to ride woods, fields with friends.
4. My riding experience consists of a) mountain biking and b) falling off my friend's XR400. After foolishly maxxing it out down a country road, I tried to pull back in the driveway. The bike made it; I didn't. Needless to say, I very much want a beginner's bike.
5. No racing.
6. I won't be doing my own bike work yet, but I''ll be trying to learn as I go.
7. Probably would prefer a 4 stroke, but you guys are the experts. No brand preference.
8. Yamaha and Suzuki dealers in town, but I'm moving to a bigger city soon that likely has all the major companies represented.
9. Prefer used, ~$2000.

I've always wanted to get started in this, but it's only now that I have the means and a place to ride. I'm not sure what to get. I do understand engines, transmissions, powerbands, all that stuff, but I don't know what's best for me. I really like the idea of the XT 225 dual-sport, but I'd only street it on the way to trails (no trailer), and I've read that one is much better off with an off-road bike if that's where the riding's gonna take place. Am I too big for the XT 225? Is it too much/too little engine for someone like me?

For some reason, all I've been reading about (read: lusting over) is the smaller dual-sports. Are there any good off-road beginner bikes I could title and put some lights on? Long post I know, but thanks for your suggestions

hyperrust

Feb 19, 2005
I forgot to ask-- how much $$ do I need to save for all the proper protective gear? No bike for me until I can afford that too, obviously. Function over form for me-- nothing flashy needed.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Bike- Honda XR250R, you should be able to find one in your price range.

Gear- You need Helmet, Goggles, Boots and Gloves. You can get a helmet for around $200, just make sure it is snell and dot approved. Goggles are cheap ($20). You can use work boots that cover the ankle, but I still like motorcycle boots better. Something like the Alpinestar Tech 4 boot is pretty reasonably priced. You can use work gloves or your mountain bike gloves.

Good luck and have fun!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
After having a severe foot injury, take my word for it and skip the work boot thing and get proper MX footwear. I'd rather snap my femur in half than go through that injury again. Stick with footwear designed for the application. I have Alpinestar Tech 6 boots myself.

With that said, I'd spend more on gear if I were you. In addition to boots, goggles, gloves, and the aforementioned MX boots, I'd also look into a decent set of kneepads. I've limped around with bruises on both knees from a very mild get-off because I landed on my knees in rocks.

Now, you'll find that kneepads don't fit properly inside "normal" clothes, while MX pants are cut to fit them. MX pants can be expensive, but at this time of year you can find places closing out last years models for cheap.

I had elbow pads and a chest protector, but I just replaced those with a SixSixOne Pressure Suit, which incorporates chest protection, elbow and forearm pads, a kidney belt, and also a back protector. I wanted it because my elbow pads slide down when riding and this eliminates that problem. The back protector is also a nice addition to the mix.

Now, I admit that all of the above will total up to a decent amount of money. Personally, I'd rather spend a the money and laugh when I fall off the bike, rather than get up in pain. Not to mention that I find that I'm a lot more confident with the protective gear than without.

Check Motosports Outlet for cheap gear. I know they're running big clearance sales at the moment. You can also check E-bay for cheap gear.

To run down the prices:
Helmet: $100-200 (the cheaper ones are polycarbonate shells and DOT; the more expensive are fiberglass or kevlar or whatever and Snell and DOT certified)
Boots: $100-200
Kneepads: $30-75
Pressure Suit: $160
Pants/Jersey/Glove combo $100 (on sale, normally about $150 for pants alone)

Think of it as half the price of a set of Ping clubs. :)

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
For the gear, go to Eb**. I got my M2R revelation X helmet for $90, Thor pants and jersey for $50, fox forma MX boots for $65, chest protector for $40 and goggles for $8. I just bought a back-up jersey for $11 that was brand new shipped to my door.

As for a bike, you will prob get sick of the xr250 kinda fast, for being a taller guy you would prob want something that has more of a suspension set-up, possibly a KDX or KTM 200. i dont know about the road use of those machines though. I'm sure there is plenty of info floating around in this forum for you to decide. Good Luck

hyperrust

Feb 19, 2005
That's helpful information, thanks guys/girls. I've been looking for used XR250's online and in newspapers--they seem to be tough to find. Hopefully I'll find some time to go look around at the dealers this week. I loved the KTMs I saw at a dealer in Pittsburgh once, but they are too expensive for me right now. Especially since I refuse to hold back buying protective gear...

I still like being in school, but I don't like the pay!

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Look for an older kdx. Great starter bike. Lots of aftermarket parts. Should be able to find a good one for around 1500.00.

Top Bottom