Skydiver

Jan 2, 2015
I have been lurking on some of the dirt bike forums and thinking about getting my first dirt bike. I am 45 years old, 6'00" tall, 200 pounds, 34" inseam. I am a pretty active guy, I run and lift weights several times a week, mountain bike and skydive.

As for riding experience I have none on dirt bikes. I have a lot of experience on Harley's and choppers. I have graduated from the Police Motor Officer course at work (104 hours on a Police Road King very technical riding) and currently ride and wrench a chopper. Not sure how much that experience will transfer to off road, although I have done a trail ride in sugar sand on a fully dressed Police Road King and ridden up and down curbs and stairs. lol.

I will probably start out trail riding but I think it would really be fun to be able to gain the experience to ride a moto cross track on practice days, doubt I would ever actually race though.

I have no brand preference but I was thinking a used 250 four stroke in around the $2K price range? Thoughts suggestions appreciated.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Most any 250cc 4-stroke MXer would be a good place to start, but that's probably the highest maintenance machine out there. If you don't mind doing a lot of upgrading over the years, and at your size, I'd start with a nice, 96 or newer XR250. Air cooled, ride it and forget it. If you don't think that's enough machine, get an XR400 or a slightly more technologically advanced DRZ400. There's a lot of both out there and a big aftermarket. Then, once you've surpassed their limitations, pick your favorite color regarding the 450cc machines.

If after some time on the thumpers you find that you like something a little more like a light switch power wise, you could start with one of the 200cc bikes the previous poster suggested (as their characteristics bridge the gap between the two and four strokes), then look into the 250cc MXers (again, pretty much pick your favorite color).

With your skills riding and wrenching on the street machines, I don't think you have anything to fear maintenance wise.

Good luck

Yz125mtl

Jan 31, 2015
although i would not disagree with a 250f or 200 two stroke for a first bike, considering your size and weight... you will most likely feel like the bike is under powered after a season of riding.
i have a yz125 that i rip on a daily basis at my private track which suites me fine for my weight and size (5'8 and 155lbs) but when i trail ride the bike is just boring and has no grunt or top end.
i have no problem swapping over to a 450f to keep things interesting when the trails open up (nothing is more fun then wheeling through 3-4 gears).
i would consider a bigger bike if you plan on riding less technical trails, your average 450f probably weighs 1/3 of what the Harley's you usual ride weigh.

Top Bottom