First ride on my 2017 Beta RR 300

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
OK, not so much of a ride than a romp in the snow!

Actually my first ride was the night I picked it up. It was 15 degrees out and dark but I just had to ride it. The lithium ion battery didn’t like the cold so I kick started it. It’s got a nice long lever and I could have done it in bare feet. The amazing thing was that the lever wasn’t down more than half way and it started running. Awesome! I rode it up and down the road and around the house just to get the feel. Tons of power. The headlight was so bright I could see myself going on some night rides now.

So yesterday after work I had to take her out again. Starts with a flick of the magic button, let her warm up and off I go to ride around my yard with about 6-7 inches of snow. Traction was amazing when I put it in 3rd or 4th, leaned back and let it just hook up. I found myself lofting the front wheel a few times when the massive 140 wide tire clawed through the snow and grabbed the frozen grass underneath. And this is with a euro spec tire with short knobs.

It handles very well. Even though I was riding in snow I was able to control it pretty well as I made snow berms and some high speed runs downhill. Power slides and 2 wheel drifting were easy and confidence inspiring. There is so much smooth torque that throttle control a breeze. I am really looking forward to getting out in the woods. I was going to wait until the snow cleared but I had so much fun on the yard I may just head out on the trails now.

The only down side I can see at this time is that this bike is so much fun to ride that I’m going to ride more this summer and probably won’t get anything else done around the house! OK, that’s just a matter of priorities (just have to convince the wife!)

More to come once I can really ride it!

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Congrats on the new Beta. If you get time check out the Cross Training Enduro Skills channel on YouTube. He has a breakdown on one of his videos of common Beta issues to be on the lookout for. I've been for the most part extremely happy with my 2015. There is a couple issues that are almost universal though.

1. The mud flap is too wide and will leave wear marks on your swingarm. I trimmed mine down with a knife. I did mine after maybe ten hours and it hard already started to etch.

2. The left fork guard is very prone to rubbing on your upper fork leg. Some guys swear that it is due to overtightening the brake line which sucks it inward. I missed this bit of info when I bought the bike, and it left wear marks on the fork very quickly. I run skf scrapers now which prevents the issue.

3. Some guys on other forums are reporting issues with the hose connection to the oil tank on the injection system. In not 100 percent sure on what the fix is as mine is the last year before the injection.

Once again great choice on the Beta they are a great bike in my experience.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks for the info. I have been checking out potential issues but hadn't heard about the oil line connection. I'll definitely check that one out.

I was looking at those SKF scrappers. I ride in a lot of mud sometimes and was going to get a set.

Did you have jetting problems? A lot of guys have been replacing the needle with a NECJ needle. My buddy got the same bike a few months ago and mention that there is some blubbering off idle. I'm a lot more picky about clean carburation but I didn't notice anything. Of course it was 30 degrees when I rode it. It came with a 35 pilot (stock is 38) and a N2ZJ needle so I've got something to play with. Plus I have a boatload of jets in my toolbox from the past 40 years!

I also saw issues online with the thermostat and head O-rings. It sounds like things were loose and that is what caused the problem. I have already fond some loose hardware and plan on checking everything over the next few weeks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Which mud scrappers did you buy? I have the Sachs forks and don't see any available for them.

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Which mud scrappers did you buy? I have the Sachs forks and don't see any available for them.

I bought mine from the dealer I got the bike from afterhourscycle. They also have them at Sierra motorcycle supply, or the American Beta website. http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/skf-mud-scraper-kit

I have heard of some thermostat issues, but it seems to me that most of the guys that had that issue were on the four strokes and seems to be loose connectors from the factory. I have also read of a few guys with a bad head gasket from the factory. As far as jetting goes I have not played with it really. I'm not very sensitive to jetting myself, but Beta offers a jetting chart on their website under the support tab. Some guys do swear by the needle you have listed.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
beta.jpg

Sorry for the delay but I finally got out in the woods this morning and thought it would be a good time to take a picture. Who would have thought I would get to ride on a nice 60 degree day in February in New York! I only rode for an hour but really love this bike. I have to learn to ride differently due to the massive low end that this thing has. No clutch work, just let the motor chug along.

The tires are euro spec enduro tires with the short knobs but it still hooked up pretty well. It responds so good with body english and after a while I was very comfortable on it. It was very slick out but with the ease of throttle control, I had no problem sliding it around the trails.

I have to do something with the steer stops though. It doesn't turn tight enough in the tight woods that I usually ride in. It's easy enough to steer with the wheel wheel but I found it was tough in some of the slower tight stuff. I've heard you can remove the nuts under the steer stop bolts so I'll give that a try.

I haven't install the SKF mud scrappers yet because I'm having trouble compressing them enough to get the locking pin hole lined up. I'll try a piston ring compressor next time. UD, thanks for the tip on the tie wraps. If I can't get the mud scrappers to work I'll do that.

I have a P3 pipe guard on the way but the pipe is tucked up so high I don't expect to get much damage on it anyway.

I can't wait for Spring. This was a freak week here with the warm weather and it's supposed to get colder starting tomorrow.

Top Bottom