mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Dropped a valve shim in my crankcase :bang: , hoped and prayed that i could fish it out through the ignition cover and luckily it was there, while grabbing it with tweezers it slid down into the tranny! I can't see it with a flashlight, any tips for getting this thing out would be great, man I am kicking myself now. :aj:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
is it in the crankcase or the transmission ?

Man that hurts. Thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.

I don't know much about the YZ250F , but I am thinking the motor has to come out of the frame, take off every access cover and plug you can find and try to shake that puppy out. - only way out should be the way it went in - how did it get in the crankcase? You have the head and cylinder off ? or did you drop it by the timing chain ?

Hopefully someone who has had this happen to them has a great idea

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I am reshimming valves and it dropped down through the timing chain, I think it is still in the crankcase but I am not sure since it slid down towards the tranny, the yz250f cases have a slight dip on the bottom just behind the ignition cover that I think it is hiding in, man am I lost.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
well if the crank and transmission are seperated ( I don't know if they are ) and it is in the crankcase you could take the head & cylinder off and try to shake it out

If it is in the transmission maybe if you take the clutch off there is a way to shake it out that way- hate to have to split the cases.

someone who has had those motors apart will know for sure what you can get away with - too bad there is no way to float it out with kerosene etc

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I've thought about flushing it out with oil but don't think that is a very good idea since that could move it farther into the engine...I think it is still in the crankcase and not in the tranny just behind the flywheel but just out of my reach with any of my tools...I don't know how I would work a magnet in their either without one that can snake its way in.

B

biglou

Ouch! I feel for ya man. I've got a couple magnets that extend like map pointers. One is pretty small. I would try to find the smallest magnet you can and see if you can fish it in there and move it around some. It would be worth it even if you had to bend the wand that it was on to get it in as far as you can. I have a larger "magnet on a stick" that I use to remove/install the bucket and shim. It keeps the shim right where it needs to be.

Try to hit a Harbor Freight or Cummins Industrial Tool store if you have one and look for some kind of gadget magnet on a flexible wand (if one even exists) before moving the motor around. I would try everything I could before risking having the shim go deeper into the engine. The one thing I think that will work against you "shaking" it out is the small size of it and it being held in place by any residual oil if it happens to be resting flat against an interior surface.

I have managed to drop one of the cam bearing half-circle clips down the timing chain hole before, but luckily it was in plain sight and the small magnet retrieved it easily.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I am thinking that the only to get it out would be with a magnet, I'm pretty sure I know where it is but I don't have any magnets like that, just normal ones. I'll go hound the local Harbor Freight, Lowes, Napa, Autozone, Home Depot, Pep Boys, and such today looking for a magnet like that.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i have pulled dropped circlips out with a screwdriver. i layed the screwdriver on my magnetic parts tray (for a while) to increase its magnetism and it worked pretty well.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Try buying a short round mag, Cut the attaching part off with a pair of dykes. Find a piece of hose just a little smaller than the mag, slide the hose over the mag( could use a good electrical tape to secure it to the hose for extra security against mag getting off hose.) Just an Idea.

Good luck,

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Looks like i'll be chopping up a refrigerator magnet and giving it a shot, great idea MrLuckey.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Whatever you do, make sure that magnet is attached securely. Losing it inside would be a bad thing :) Good luck.

Also, you may find that string won't work, depends on how many steel/iron pieces are between you and the shim. The magnet may just grab onto the first thing it finds and stay there.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
You can magnetize the end of a metal coathanger by rubbing it in one direction with a strong magnet. Then bend it in the shape you need to fish out the shim.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I was toying with the idea of using a coat hanger wire and making some sort of electromagnet - could be pretty powerful if you don't electrocute yourself.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but the crankcase and tranny are sealed off from eachother and share oil via the oil filter, so it must be in the crankcase right. i tried taking apart a fridge alphabet magnet and attaching it to some needle nose pliers but no luck...I'll go try a coat hanger right now, I may need to make a run to Sears for a telescoping magnet( I think that is what they are called)

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Thst is where my knowledge is limited, I would think the two would be connected by oil passages that would be too small for the shim to get through buthave never seen the inside

Wonder if you couldp ut a small tube on a shop vac and get it to stick to that well enough to get it out - maybe could be flexible too even if you can just move it to where the telescoping magnet would reach

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I tried the coat hanger with no luck.

That is what I was thinking Scott, what do you think about puttig the ignition cover on, filling her up with oil and laying her on the clutch side and shaking, theoretically would it settle in the ignition cover, i have been all over the back part of the crankcase with a coathanger and flashlight and nothing. Only thing about that is I am worried about that moving it into the crank and not just settled at the bottom of the case.

I'll go try the shop vac idea, that sounds promising.

Last edited:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
The shim may very well be a non magnetic alloy. If it IS magnetic it may already be stuck to the drain plug magnet(if the bike has one)

If not,

I would be looking at the rafters in the garage and and ancra strap or two and hoist the ass end up to try and get the thing to slide back by the ignition cover. Maybe even tap the engine cases with a soft mallet to make it slide. Shake it, whatever it takes. Leave the drain plug out and maybe get lucky and have it drop out there.

Then remember to stuff those pesky drainback/timing chain holes witha rag/paper towel before you handle anything small over the engine next time.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i was thinking about it not being magnetic razor...I already drained all the residual oil left in there but no luck, from examing the oil bolt, which isn't magnetic, i am guessing that the bolt drains the oil via the tranny but am not sure. I am going down into the shop to try a soft mallet and a shop vac right now.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Tryed the mallet, no luck.
Tryed the shop vac, but can't get a hose in their without a kink cutting the suction, nor will it go in very far.

I have examined the drawing of the crankcase from the manual and might have an idea of where it is but again, I can't see very far in there with a flashlight

There has to be a way to get it out with splitting the cases, I don't have the tools to do that one nor the $$$ to pay someone else to.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
This might work

I wonder about that end making it through the tight passage into the crankcase...this one is my last hope, i've tried all your ideas and I haven't even got a glimpse of it, felt it with the coathanger, nothing.I'm all out of ideas. :ugg:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
If you want to try the float it out with oil, maybe diesel fuel or kerosene would be better than motor oil- the oil probably is making it stick to something in there. maybe your idea of getting it to float to the ignition cover might work.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
What about taking a very strong magnet from the outside of the case and trying to drag it to where you can get at it with something else. If you find a strong enough magnet you should be able to drag that thing just about anywhere you want. :bang: :bang: that totally sucks!!!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Someone off TT had a good idea to fill it with oil, drain it, and then stick a magnet in there and it should be in the bottom of the cases, i assume it is already there, but worth a shot.

That might work Moto Squid but I have no idea where the shim is in the first place, I'm going to pick up that magnet that I linked from Sears tommorow and try it, hope it can wiggle in there.

Top Bottom