Flagger Suggestions Please

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Originally posted by Whyzee
How about in an effort to raise money and awareness we do a bachelorette flager date auction. We have some really cute DRN girls that some of the gents might pay handsomely to spend an hour with at a flagging station. If our girls were interested in taking in a little Stillwater sunshine ala bikini, I think it could be a real hit. Problem is some guys might never get any riding time in.
I hear GSR does this interesting thing with sparklers. :cool:
hahahahahah . . .

:p Hmm, pink velvet 2 piece or Coors Light one piece?

Seriously, I would probably scare people, as I don't get much sun. I wouldn't need a flag, I could just wave my arms.

Actually I think one of the biggest problems with keeping people out there flagging is time . . . how many of us wore a watch at DW? Maybe if we blew some kind of horn or whistle--what could be heard all through the pits?

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by firecracker22

Actually I think one of the biggest problems with keeping people out there flagging is time . . . how many of us wore a watch at DW?
Not having too look at the time is the nicest thing about DW! Arrive there and dont worry time til the following week.

FC, if you wear your suit and i wear mine we'll have a ton of wrecks in our flagging spots due to riders going blind when they see us. Spending more time in the sun wont help my tan any. ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Originally posted by Patman
Maybe a sliding scale attendance fee? Everybody pays X+$10 or $15 per day then if you follow through you get your +fee back. If you have no interest in helping then you just pay the +fee and do your thing at DW.
Not a bad idea the only downside I can see is that you pay the +fee and intend to flag, for some reason you decide to forfeit your fee and not flag an hour before your turn, who flags your spot? Along the same lines part of signing your kid up for hockey through the local community center here was a commitment for volunteer duty in the canteen. Everyone would give a $25 deposit on the duty and you get your deposit back at the end of your shift. Problem being several people felt it was worth the $25 to not have to volunteer and the bottom line ended up with the community club $25 richer but the canteen closed for the users of the community club. Now the volunteer duty is gone and you are charged a fee which is then used to hire local kids to work the canteen.

I wonder if it would be feasible to hire a local group of young racers looking for a part time job for the week that the + fee could cover? the downside being then we make a commitment to another expense for Okies shindig that we should be able to cover ourselves.

For the record if I can keep LazyBoy's bones intact and actually make it to DW04 you can contact on our family to more than pull our share of time with the flags.

MX-727

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by Chili

I wonder if it would be feasible to hire a local group of young racers looking for a part time job for the week that the + fee could cover?
College kids from OSU maybe?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
This year we had an abundance of things for give-aways... What about giving each flag volunteer a raffle ticket when they pick up their flag. Every 2 practices they flag is worth 1 ticket. Then at night before the giveaways we call out 5 "flagger tickets" and they get first dibs on the lute. Even non-riders would get into that.

I think we could get away with 5 or 6 flaggers so it should not be too bad.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Originally posted by Okiewan
I then have to insure them... that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. No to mention flaggers that have no idea what their doing.
Have to admit the insurance thing hadn't popped into my head. As far as knowing what they are doing, if they were getting paid I would hope a quick tutorial would do the trick.

At least the thread has some idea's flowing I'm sure we will come up with a workable solution.

I was curious if I could flag and video at the same time. My camera director said that I shouldnt but next year Ill be videoing and would like to flag at the same time. It would only help the flaging situation. We tried to get cameras all over the track just like you would want flaggers.
Also are you thinking of having flaggers on the course all week?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
WHat about paying a fee, if you flag, you get your fee back.. If you dont flag, the person that filled in for you gets your fee..
Rick

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by Whyzee
We have some really cute DRN girls that some of the gents might pay handsomely to spend an hour with at a flagging station. If our girls were interested in taking in a little Stillwater sunshine ala bikini
I'm in! As long as the weather cooperates this year! :confused:

On a serious note...last year I signed up to flag 3 or 4 different events and when I showed up I wasn't needed, so I don't think doing things on a volunteer basis would be an issue. I don't believe there are many (if any at all) DRN'ers that wouldn't be willing to give up an hour or two of their day to be sure the rest of their comrades are safe.

I agree with Thump on the extra raffle ticket idea too...a little initiative always made me a willing volunteer!

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
incentives probably motivate you too. Ehh Squeakster?! :p

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by Papakeith
incentives probably motivate you too. Ehh Squeakster?! :p
:debil: You know what I mean

MrMXer327

Lifetime Sponsor
I had thought a $5 or $10 flagger surcharge would be a good thing, but how that impacts insurance and liability?? I haven't a clue.

That being said, I like Thumps Idea. It could work something like this:

- 1 ticket per 2 hour flagging session (max of 2 sessions per day)
- The first 5 tickets drawn for the nightly give aways come out of the flagger box

With only 30 or so tickets in the box - The odds are pretty good for the flaggers... and what a way to reward those who look out for us while we're out having fun. :thumb: