upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Hello,

I'm looking for ideas on the best set up for a Flat Trailer for 2 or 3 bikes. I'll end up having to put one on backwards (middle bike) which is fine with me.

But should I take the time to build rails for the trailer or just use chocks?

Any ideas on a trailer like this would be great!!

Thanks Rob.

Oh and I did search and saw lots of good ideas. Just maybe someone has some fresh ideas.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm confused - do you already have the trailer and just want to know the best way to haul bikes, or do you have no trailer and are starting from scratch?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've seen tilt bed trailers at Home Depot / Lowes that seem like they would work well for bikes AND misc chores.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Sorry for the confusion. I didnt state myself clearly.

I have a Trailer, and I'm looking for the best way to arrange it for 2 or 3 bikes. I am a very capable welder/fabricator and have no problems modifying what I have to make it work better.

I would like it to be somewhat easy to convert back to just a "utility" trailer to move ATV's etc on.

Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well it sort of depends on the size of the trialer as to what might or might not work.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
It Currently is 4x8, But I dont see any reason that with the current construction why I couldnt add 6" on each side to make it 5'x8' and more "comfortable" for 3 bikes.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I had a tilt bed 5x8 that had a very simple outer rail welded on about 10" above the deck height. The trailer gate was mesh and dropped level with the deck when in the non tilted position and served as the ramp when the trailer was tilted.

Very similar to this but the gate was a lot shorter on mine.

5%20x%208%20Utility%20$875.00.jpg

Then it had eyelets welded on each side and on the front for the tie downs. Outer bikes loaded forward and the middle bike loaded backwards pulled against the gate

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Attach a 6 inch thick curved block in the center of the front rail to nsupport a tire and you can load them all forward. Basically, the block is there to push the center bike back so the bars don't hit. Just weld in a couple of sturdy tie down point to the front corners. Also, use rubber bungee straps to keep the rear tires from bouncing around.

The link below is a truck bed mount that shows the concept of pushing the center bike back, take note of the extension piece.
http://www.cambridgemetalsandplastics.com/box_bar.html

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Ok, So I guess I jumped the gun on this one... I ordered 3.5" wide wheel Chock today through Parts Unlimited at work. It was cheep...so oh well.

So heres what I'm thinking... Put an angle iron rail up 6-8 inches across the front of the trailer. Set the Newly Bought Chock back 6 inches or so from that. and use that for the center bike.

FruDaddy, when you say to use rubber bungee straps to keep it from bouncing around, here's what I typically do when I used to Load it on my dads pickup: 2 straps off the handle bars to the front of the box, and 2 off the subframe of the bike to the back of the box so the bike "floats" while being tied down. Works very well and keeps from bowing the front of the box, Especially in Chevy's as the headwall is rather light duty even in the heavy duty trucks.

Thanks for the Input Guys..

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've found that tie down points at the front corners don't work as well as if you position them about 12" back from the front corners, one on each side.

Then have a sturdy tie down point at the front center of the trailer. That way you don't have to cross tie downs through the other bikes, and both of the outside bikes can share the center front tie down.

When you haul a third bike, since it will ride further back, it still does not interfere with the front center tie down point shared by the outside bikes.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I dont worry about it in the truck bed, but I strap the rear wheel down on the trailer. it lets the suspension bounce, but keeps the tire in place. One bungee instead of two straps, but it is the same basic concept. My trailer has a mesh bottom which simplifies things a little. The piece in the link might serve you well in that truck, as it would probably distribute the load better.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
DBD, I don't disagree with moving the tied down points back (so long as they don't end up behind the bars), but the center tie down for the outside bikes can have a slight geometric problem, especially on 4-5 ft trailers. With such a steep angle on the straps, and such a narrow overall footprint, it is possible for one of the bikes to fall over while both strap are still securely attached, especially if you don't use the fork supports. A wide angle is more stable.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Thanks for the ideas guys...

Dirt Bike Dave,

Three Tie downs across the front, for the 2 out side bikes, and for the third (center) bike, just place accordingly? Or 2 on each rear corner of the trailer and put the bike on backwards, which would require modifying the chock I bought as its not wide enough for the rear tire of a dirt bike (or any modern bike).

FruDaddy, yes that would help in that truck alot. But being 17, and trying to pay for college, and buy my own truck (toyota), I dont drive that much, its STUPID expensive. I also agree with you on the Wide angles on the straps.

And on that note. If I did use the other 2 straps on each bike (like I said with the Truck situation), that would cut down on the problem of the front angles some. Another thing is I have access to anything for steel building materials, I could weld some angled supports (similar to chocks) going back toward the deck to help keep the bikes upright.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Fru - I see your point about the center tie down on a narrow trailer. I guess if you raised the center front point well above the trailer floor level (18" or more) it would widen the angle some, as would moving the bikes out as far as possible).

If the trailer width and length allow a third bike facing the same direction as the other bikes, that is preferable in my opinion, even if it sits 1' or more behind the other bikes. If you must back the 3rd bike in on a narrow trailer, loading is a PITA and tie down location is tricky. Probably best to get all three bikes together for a test fit before you lay out the mounting points. If you have a solid tailgate on the trailer, it's a little less critical as to how the third bike is tied down

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The good news with two tied down points is that if the bike does fall, it will fall toward the outside, pulling on ther shallower angle. by pushing the center bike back, there is no need to put it in backwards, just secure the rear on the bikes in whatever manner you are most comfortable with. The driver isw always responsible for securing his load, and if it works, it works. What works for me might not work for everybody. The wheel straps are great for me because I have the mesh floor, but they would be more dificult to work with it I had a wood floor.
On the the down point topic, if you do not already have rails, then you should raise you should make them as high as you are comfortable with, to help with the geometry.
That truck mount is too expensive and invasive (must drill holes) for me, so I understand, I simply don't feel that is is useful enough to justify the spending I would sooner spend it on another stand.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Hmmm...Sounds like its time to get all the bikes rounded up, and get the rest of the trailer done.

FruDaddy, if I had a pickup that was my own..I'd have no Problem what so ever putting one of them on the truck. But with the pickup I'm looking at getting (Toyota), really lacks in the bed/cargo area.

Even if I can only Get 2 Fullsize bikes and Mini in the Middle, I'll be all set.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Anyone else with ideas...put them out there.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Agreed DBD.

Another way to help the angle is to use tie down extensions between the triple clamps, lowering the mount point on the bike itself. Any trailer over 7 feet long should accomodate 3 bikes mounted forward. If there is a tailgate, then you may need 8. +1 on the test fit. Oh and if the bikes are not all full sized, then it may be better to mount the minis on the outside. Of course, there is no set rule here, find out how stuff fits best, and go with it. With the mini in the middle, you can pust it back farther as long at the bars fit between the big bikes. But it may be necessary to elevate the mini front wheel. Creativity will reveal your best solution.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Tie down extensions are a length of tie down material with a loop sewn on each end, rather than a conventional metal tie down hook. If you the wrap the extender around your bars or fork tube, then pass one loop through the other, you can then hook the tie down up to the free loop.

I use them all the time, usually around my bars. It lets you avoid pinching wires and cables, and gives you more versatility in your mounting points.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
upstateny said:
Chili, thats a 4x8 correct???

Not sure about the one in the photo I grabbed as an example but my trailer was 5x8.

As far as tie downs in the past I had used ones that I customized with carabiners and the soft straps to avoid any chance of a hook popping off. Recently while searching for new straps I picked these up and so far have been really happy with them http://www.smartrvparts.com/power-c...-tiedown-strap-1-1-8-x-78-2pk-blue-check.html

The bonus with those straps also was I got to support a DRN sponsor and a fellow DRN member who runs the company.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Ok. So by using the tie down extenders, and putting them in between my top clamp and my lower clamp, around the fork tube, it will greatly improve the angle of my tie downs correct?

Any suggestions on how high to build the railing around the sides of the trailer?

This does not have a gate, and probably will not have one.

Dec 31, 2008
has anyone ever thought of putting some bigger tires on their trailer? I have a 4x8 and I was trying to think of a way to make it handle the bumps better when i take it out to the desert.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Gate is not needed, my 5x8 was designed to accept a 2xwhatever across the back if I want a gate, but I don't bother. I would shoot for 18-24 inches on that tie down point, it's high enough to get the job done, but low enough to be out of the way. As far as the angle improvement, picture a triangle, now picture a shorter triangle. Even a little helps.

Billy bob, I have never even considered larger tires, my trailer has leaf springs. I think that I have 12 or 13 inch wheels. It bounces around a bit on dirt roads (so I slow down).

Dec 31, 2008
I was told larger tires will make the trailer more stable. I have 8" wheels which i think are the smallest ones. I think having 12" tires would make my trailer much more stable. I get a bit of wobble just on the road so I usually only go 55 mph. it just makes me worried with a expensive bike back there, so i would like to take as much stability as possible.

Top Bottom