SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I don't know this model, but most flywheels are a taper fit on the LH side crank shaft. You will need to remove the casing, then undo the centre nut. It is tight and you will need to hold the flywheel from turning. When you have the nut off you will need a flywheel puller that screws (anti clockwise) into the cavity in the centre of the flywheel, then does up a centre bolt to pull the fw off the tapered shaft.

replacement is reverse of above making sure of...

a) Clean taper and flywheel mating surfaces (no oil)
b) Ensure woodruff key and slot are in good condition and well aligned.
c) Dont hit the FW with anything!!!, It can lose it's magnetism if you do.
d) when you are holding the FW dont poke any thing through the holes in the FW to stop it turning, you will damage either the coils on the stator or the magnets on the FW.
e) Torque nut to correct spec.

spikekrazy

Jun 21, 2004
Thank you for responding to my question is there anything else i need to know about replacing the flywheel, to prevent damage to other parts of the bike. Where are the woodruff key and slot on the wheel?

When putting on the new fw how to I tighten it back on?

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
you would tighten it using the centre nut to the correct torque (probably around 50Nm), which will push the fw onto the taper of the crank shaft.
The woodruff key is a small half moon shaped key that sits in a slot in both the flywheel and shaft to prevent them turning in relation to each other. you will see when you get it apart.
what is the matter with the FW you have??, they rarely go bad unless you get severe crash damage

spikekrazy

Jun 21, 2004
Thanks!!
On the inside of my fly wheel one of the plates has broken pieces around it and would not stay on, and the mechanic threw the plate out.
I had a friend fix it but he used a piece of flashing, I dont think that will work with the magnetism. So I bought a used fw and now I just have to put it on.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
yes best to put another one on (it turns v fast and if it jams in any way it will be costly), did it damage the stator plate or coils when it bust up?
Also if he has fixed it with flashing, then you must have had it off once already???yes

spikekrazy

Jun 21, 2004
Im not sure if it damaged the stator plate or coils im hoping it didnt damage anything else. The original problem was my timing chain broke when I was coming back from riding and the bike just died and I haf to push it up the driveway.

When my friend fixed it im not sure how he did it but i dont think he took the fw off.

Where is the stator plate?

The plate on the inside of the fw was loose and pieces were break up around it, but the magnetism inside the fw kept the broken pieces on the fw.

spikekrazy

Jun 21, 2004
hello

I tried to replace the fly wheel on my bike, the fly wheel puller I got didnt work right. I tried turning the bolt on the fw puller into the center shaft and it would not thread in. I could not get the claws on the fw puller behind the fw to draw the fw out. If any one has any advice on what i can do or what i am doing wrong please reply. Thanks

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Were you aware the FW puller has a left hand thread on it?, so it threads into the FW counter clock wise. when it is fully threaded in tighten the centre bolt onto the end of the crank shaft which will pop off the FW.
Also be aware the tool I am referring to is a specilist one just for the job and not a general three or four leg puller, these generally will not fit in behind the FW. This is a link to one for a Kawasaki, but I think I am correct in saying all Jap bikes have the same size hole in the flywheel for it to thread into??dont quote me on that though!
http://www.psep.biz/store/kawaflywheel_puller.htm

spikekrazy

Jun 21, 2004
I dont think my fly wheel has a threaded hole for the puller to go into. Any other ideas on what i can do or what type of puller i need? Anybody?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
spikekrazy said:
I dont think my fly wheel has a threaded hole for the puller to go into. Any other ideas on what i can do or what type of puller i need? Anybody?

You need the right puller. You can't use a 2 or 3 jaw puller. If you get the right one, you will see where it goes.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I think the XR200 is listed in the models covered under Honda- take a look and let us know.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I think you can put it in a high gear and hold the back brake- make sure you get a manual so you know which way to loosen it

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
ScottS said:
I think you can put it in a high gear and hold the back brake- make sure you get a manual so you know which way to loosen it

Ditto.

Top Bottom