1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
For the longest time I have been trying to figure out why my 02' CR 250 has no spark with no success. Today I was in the garage messin around and realized the flywheel didn't have a very strong magnetism when i dropped a screw next to it. As a matter of fact nothing will stick to the outside of the flywheel, but the inside has a "weak magnet field". I totally forgot the flywheel did fall off the bike stand, and I have heard that dropping or impacting the flywheel will cause it to lose it's magnetism. So am I basically stuck with a "dead" flywheel here, or can it be re magnetized or something?!? Anyone else ever have a flywheel lose magnetism? :bang:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Nobody has heard of anything like this, or the flywheel going "bad"?
Also just sitting in the garage the flywheel keeps getting surface rust on it, what can I do to stop this from happening. I'm pretty sure the flywheel doesn't have enough magnetism.... Anyone????

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Yes, a flywheel can lose it's magnetism. This is common with old British style rotors. If left on a metal table or allowed to collect metal hardware while sitting they can lose some of their magnetism. If you have the equipment, rotors and flywheels can be recharged. Not too many shops have that equipment. IMO, you're best bet is to compare your flywheel with another one off of a running CR250 or switch flywheels with another 250 to see if your spark comes back. Also, rust is not uncommon on the magnets since they are not plated or treated in any way to prevent rust. Just keep them clean and dry.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I remember doing an experiment in science class where we magnetized metals, then demagnetized by impacting them. I did some research, and it is possible this is what happened when it fell off the bench maybe? Either way DO NOT ever buy electrosport junk again, I'm on my 3rd stator and each one is made differently and looks "homemade" not from an actual company.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
1998RM250 said:
I remember doing an experiment in science class where we magnetized metals, then demagnetized by impacting them. I did some research, and it is possible this is what happened when it fell off the bench maybe? .

I have heard that can happen but have never experienced it myself. OEM parts are the best. Check out the link for Service Honda on the left side of the page. They offer great online discounts on OEM parts.

Top Bottom