fidgeT

Nov 29, 2007
I just bought my son a kawasaki kx65
This is his first 2 stroke, and i knew going into this that it was a bit to much bike for him, but it was such a great deal that i could not pass it up.
Right now i am looking for ways to tame this bike down on a temporary basis.
After some research it seems to me that a flywheel weight might be the answer that i am looking for but i personally have had no experince with such matters.
Now my questios are:
1: how hard is a flywheel weight to install/uninstall
2:how effective will it be (i know the size of the weight plays a factor)
3:are there any other easy ways to tame this bike down
My issue with the bike is mainly the powerban
Any help you can give would e great!
Thanks in advance!

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
the fly wheel weights are a piece of cake to install if you have basic tools you can do it. it does tame down the bike a lot, eliminates a lot of the hit, and resulting wheel spin, also makes it harder to stall. you could richen up the jets some too, that'll take a lot of the snap out of it, just keep a some extra plugs on hand. but a rich carb would be a very simple way to tame it down

fidgeT

Nov 29, 2007
Great!! Thanks for the info and fast responce.
Pretty sure i will be ordering the FWW tonight. I took the bike for a quick spin and was really impressed with its powerban, but i know shorty is not ready for that power!! I also just found a "dirt bike school" that is about a 3 hour ride from me. Its a 1 day (6 hour) class. I am thinking i am going to sign him up for that. Cant hurt
Thanks again

fidgeT

Nov 29, 2007
Sorry for the double post, but another quick question.. Because th kx is way to much bike for my son i was thinking i would get the heaviest FWW they have which seems to be 12oz.
Is that TO big.. Is there going to be major low end effects? Also i have an uncle that is a mechenist. Is it feasible that as my sons skills improved i could have my uncle machine the flywheel weight down some to make slight adjustments in power instead of going from a heavy weight to none at all?

Jan 3, 2007
I am sure you could lighten up the weight as your son excels. You could also get your uncle to make a reed spacer. This goes in between the cylinder and reeds and is cheap to make. You just trace a reed gasket and use the same dimensions and it mellows out the power without needing any jetting changes.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Restricting the exhaust in some way will also tone it down, with a washer placed between the pipe and silencer, then all you have to do is drill out the washer as he wishes for power.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
personally i have no experience with it but i think restricting the exhaust would not be very good for the bike. thats in a way how it breathes. i wouldnt do that. the fww and the richer carb should tone it down enough to where its good.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
the only thing that hurts a 2 stroke is depriving it of its expansion chamber. the 12 oz isnt too much weight, think about the crank mass itsself, 12 oz is less than a pound, it will take the hit mostly away but the power will be there whenever it is needed and traction will always be there.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
RMZRyder said:
Restricting the exhaust on a 2 stroke will not hurt it.

thats cool. i always figured it would. i would never do this but if you took the silencer off and just had the pipe on would that hurt it? my friend did that with his blaster before

Jan 3, 2007
JD_MXRacer, the engine would not be able to scavenge un-used fuel back into the cylinder and there would not have a low pressure system witch might decrease velocity into the engine witch in theory it would not run efficient.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
i believe it wont "hurt." A hillclimb I went to, most of the 2 strokes had no silencers. Thats beyond the point, thats steering more toward releasing power, not controlling it..

and talk about a headache.

Top Bottom