shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Due to a recent injury, I've decided to change the way I ride and stay out of the big air. So my Q is this, I ride an '02 CR250 and was wondering what size of flywheel weights you guys use for hairscrables and such? I seen that Barry Hawk uses a 9 oz. flywheel weight on his YZ250 for GNCCs...what do you guys use?

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
I recently put an 11oz on my 02KX250, and this is how it goes:

1. It revs a little slower which takes the edge off the low end hit, which is fine by me because thats what I want it to do. Makes trail riding easier.
2. Going into slow turns (such as trail riding) the engine does not stall as easy when using the rear brake to hard.
3. The added weight helps keep the engines momentum going when going down long hills, there again dosen't stall as much or as easy.
4. You'll have to get used to the bike not slowing down as fast ( use more brake) on entrance to a turn because of the engines momentum (small adjustment) but alows you to pull a higher gear thru a turn.
5. Depending on how much weight you use, it really smooths out and broadens the power band.
6. Takes about 20 min. to install and less to take it off.

This is based on my use and results may be different for you based on your bikes configuration, (pipe, gearing, reeds, riding style and such).

Stealthy offroad sells the flywheel weight I use, they have a kit for the CR, RM as well and they come with the tool to install it.

Hope this is helpfull. http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/store/index.shtml
JD

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Ok, yep this does help, I don't why I haven't looked at 'em yet, looks like my options are from 8-14 oz. weights. This is a big differance...I think what I may do, next year when all healed up, is play around at the local hairscramble track and down at the river to see how prone to stalling I am and how much I want to smooth the bottom out. I've played around a few times at the river when I first got the bike, but it's faster and more responsive now than it was then. This gives me some good info to think about though, thanks. :cool:

morningoak

Jan 2, 2004
I recently put the Steahly 12 oz. on my '02 CR 250. The ignition cover needed to be cut a bit. A friend of mine did it in his machine shop in about 15 minutes, no problem.
For my riding style it actually made my bike feel quicker, but much more controlable. Instead of constantly spinning the back tire, it now hooks and pulls much better. When I was forced to downshift to 1st or 2nd gear in tight woods, I can now stay in 2nd or 3rd.
The engine does rev down slower like Junkyard Dog said. That took a little while to get used to, but no big deal.

I would highly recommend one, but go on the heavy side for woods in my opinion. Everyone I know that didnt either bought a heavier one or wished they would have.

Good Luck

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I put a 12oz on my 00 and added 8.5 ozs with steel clutch plates. In hindsight, I probably should have got the 14oz or heavier for woods riding, as it is still a beast in the tight stuff, especially on the harscramble courses we had to run this month.

I haven't put one on the 02 yet, but I expect heavier is better.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I figured about halfway on the options available would be norm, either 10-12. Although I thought probably lighter instead of heavier. So this a good lesson. You guys still running stock gearing, or have you geared down also? My plans were to gear down to a 50T rear sprocket anyhow to make better use of second gear since the bottom of stock second seems too tall anyhow...

morningoak

Jan 2, 2004
I'm running a 50 tooth rear. With the 10 oz, I don't believe you have to modify the cover. You absolutely do with the 12 & up. I think the weight kind of depends on your riding abilities also. There's an AA rider I know that wants nothing to do with one, but he can make use of the power much better than I can. I think there's a chart on the Stealhy website regarding riding abilities and weights.

Let us know what you decided, and what you thought of the results.

Have a good one.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I'll try to remember to do that oak, I broke my ankle about 8 weeks ago so I probably won't get back on till next season just to be sure. Should have made the switch a long time ago, I'm not bad in the turns and the whoops...it's the jumping that my skills are lacking...and as far as I'm concerned, it's gonna stay that way...lol...those young kids can have all the glory there, 'cause it's far too painfull when it all goes wrong.

yz138

Feb 16, 2004
morningoak said:
I recently put the Steahly 12 oz. on my '02 CR 250. The ignition cover needed to be cut a bit. A friend of mine did it in his machine shop in about 15 minutes, no problem.
For my riding style it actually made my bike feel quicker, but much more controlable. Instead of constantly spinning the back tire, it now hooks and pulls much better. When I was forced to downshift to 1st or 2nd gear in tight woods, I can now stay in 2nd or 3rd.
The engine does rev down slower like Junkyard Dog said. That took a little while to get used to, but no big deal.

I would highly recommend one, but go on the heavy side for woods in my opinion. Everyone I know that didnt either bought a heavier one or wished they would have.

Good Luck
looking at a 12oz. weight myself, how was the cover modified for the weight?

thanks

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Sheahly weights

I've heard that they will cut down heavier weights for you if you're dissatisfied with the end result. Meaning that if you buy a 12oz one and don't like it, they'll cut it down to the 10oz or 8oz weight for you. Might want to email them and ask about it.

Someone also mentioned using all steel clutch plates for adding rotational mass to the engine. Keep in mind that the clutch plates are after the primary drive gear, meaning they spin much slower than the engine and have less of an effect on it as a result. With all that said, the steel plates are probably a good idea in that you're adding weight anyway and the steels will contaminate your tranny oil less, last longer, etc.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I put a 14 Oz weight from Steahly on my 2001 CR 250 and love it for track and woods. I'm slow though (old fart). It helped with stalling and mud riding especially. On the track i'm not sure I could really tell the difference - it is so dang fast eiother way. My cool ProCircuit magnesium cover wouldn't fit however, so the old cheap plasyic one is back on. It fit though, no modification to it.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
To me it seemed like I had more low end when going around corners. Staight aways I don't think I could really feel the difference. The bike didn't lose any horsepwer, and the top end power / overrev stayed great.

yz138

Feb 16, 2004
Did you have to mod the cover? The 12oz are on back order for at least a few weeks but hes got 10oz in stock. Don't know if I want to wait that long but I also not sure if I'd feel much of a difference with a 10. People say go withh the heavier if possible.

RD00

Feb 28, 2004
What kind of mod has to be done to the cover? I'm wanting to put a 12oz on my 03 CR250 and Steahly says a mod to the cover is required but doesn't say what has to be done.

Top Bottom