nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I sold the girlfriends cr80 and bought here a 07 crf150r. She is already riding wheelies :D The wheelies of course weren't by her choice. This bike is a really impressive little bike and I love taking it through the woods sometimes. I noticed a bike at the local mx dealer today with an fmf powerbomb. I can't find a dyno to this header anywhere. Does anyone have one and can tell me what they think. A honest opinion would be great. I know the butt and wallet dyno make it hard to give honest opinions but please try to give a good no bias review :D

Thanks for your time!

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
The only reason there is an expanded section in the Powerbomb is because they simply couldn't put that much craptastic into a normal size header tube

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And how else can you justify the cost? Nobody would pay that much for a simple piece of tubing.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
if you can find one used for cheap go for it but I would never pay the new asking price of one. I put a full FMF system with powerbomb on my yz250f and it gave me more bottom end which was good. Not sure how it would respond on a 150r though. Unless its cheap I wouldn't bother.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I agree seems over priced for a piece of tube thus the reason I am on a forum asking for honest opinions on how well it works. I can't find any dyno results anywhere which makes me wonder how the hell do they sell these things to begin with. Do people just buy stuff because the manufacturer says it good with no real proof?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
nsxxtreme said:
Do people just buy stuff because the manufacturer says it good with no real proof?
Yup.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
We used both a power bomb and a mega bomb header with an FMF speed muffler. The power bomb didn't really make much of a difference. The mega bomb header gave the bike more low end torque and increased the top end over rev. This was used on an 07 kx250f with stage one cams, a JE high compression piston, and some extensive head porting.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
honest opinion?

Save your money and buy her some flowers or something instead. It'll do more for you than that pipe.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
XRpredator said:
honest opinion?

Save your money and buy her some flowers or something instead. It'll do more for you than that pipe.

hahahahahahahaha That is what she told me too LOL. She asked me if I was trying to kill her. The truth is I like taking that bike through the woods sometimes myself. I just saw the exhaust at the dealer and was curious. The manufacturer (honda) does such a good job of squezing every bit of power out of these things that as an engineer I can appreciate the design and effort put into some of these aftermarket parts. But no dyno plots and a high price is absolutely amazing to me.

I'm still teaching her how to ride this bike. She hasn't gotten used to the torque yet and wishes she still had her cr80. But after watching her riding style for 2 years I know she will enjoy this bike more once I teach her how to ride it correctly. On her 80 I just let her do what she wanted with little guidance. Why argue if its working, this one she needs a little more help :) .

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Did she start out on the 80? My wife's on a ttr125 now and we're thinking about the KTM105 as an upgrade for the 2010 season. She's(well maybe it's me) a bit nervous about the power and height. I've ridden a few 80s and they were wicked. I worry about it scaring her and she not wanting to ride it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My wife is quite happy with the hot rodded XR95 that was handed down from our son. She wanted nothing to do with the CR85 when we had it. Honestly I'm fine with that too.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
_JOE_ said:
Did she start out on the 80? My wife's on a ttr125 now and we're thinking about the KTM105 as an upgrade for the 2010 season. She's(well maybe it's me) a bit nervous about the power and height. I've ridden a few 80s and they were wicked. I worry about it scaring her and she not wanting to ride it.
Yes she started out on the 80. The 80 is a wicked bike but the thing is its gutless down low. So their is a lot of "forgiveness" for mistakes down low. The power band hit did scare her so she rarely rode there.

The bike is light, easy to kick for people with short legs and its low to the ground, and did I say light. I stress the light because it did no wear her out or crush her when it fell on her. She was happy riding the bike all day.

I taught her to slip the clutch when she needed more power but wanted to go slow (like going up a steep hill). She was content and I did not pick on her riding style, I was just happy that she was out riding with me. She is now at the point that she understands the basics, she will know what I am talking about when I give her further instructions. I offer suggestions and then just kinda let her figure out what works for her.

The 105 might be just fine. Maybe ride on the back with her a few times and drive it until it hits the powerband so she knows what to expect. If there are no suprises then she wont be as scared. My girlfriend always rode right on the edge of the powerband she knew exactly when it was gonna hit. I also purchased a stehly flywheel weight to tame the powerband hit down.

The crf150r is the complete opposite nothing up top but a monster down low. She hasn't got used to that part yet. I've always believed you buy something that is a little bit challenging so you can learn. It keeps you on your toes and makes you pay attention. If you get to comforitable you get lazy and that is when accidents happen.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I rode the 150r as well, it seemed much less exciting to ride. The power was so smooth and fell of pretty early compared to the 2 stroke. I personally like the fact that the 80 carries the front wheel so easily with a taller guy on it. :) I'm starting to see a few more little bikes popping up for really good prices lately so I may scoop a used 85 or 100 to save a few bucks. I guess we'll see how this season goes as she missed out on most of last year which was only her second season.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
_JOE_ said:
I rode the 150r as well, it seemed much less exciting to ride. The power was so smooth and fell of pretty early compared to the 2 stroke. I personally like the fact that the 80 carries the front wheel so easily with a taller guy on it. :) I'm starting to see a few more little bikes popping up for really good prices lately so I may scoop a used 85 or 100 to save a few bucks. I guess we'll see how this season goes as she missed out on most of last year which was only her second season.
The 98 cr80 I purchased for $750 2 years ago and sold for $800. I did however put $250 into a new clutch, plus a new chain, sprockets, and $100 on a flywheel wieght. I probably should have removed the flywheel wieght before I sold it but I didn't have the time to remove it.

You can pick up the 2 strokes cheap but be careful of the back wheel. The 80's use a single bearing on the drive side. I looked at a lot of bikes that needed the rear wheel replaced.

I bought the 2007 crf150r for $2200 which is an ok deal. It doesn't have a lot of hours on it. For her riding style which was never in the power band it's perfect.

Top Bottom