Fork Bushings?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MikeT, Jan 30, 2003.

1. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

I've recently head some talk here about checking and replacing fork bushings on Yamahas. I have a 1996 YZ125 and am wondering, how would I know if I need new bushings or not? I looked on the Yamaha of Troy website and I couldn't tell which piece on the fork diagram was the bushing. When I take the tubes apart to change a seal is it easy to replace the bushing then? Are there any special tools needed other than what is needed to replace a fork seal?? How much does a bushing cost and what is the bushings purpose??

2. marcusgunby

marcusgunby Lifetime Sponsor

Its hard to test the bushes as they have a fair amount of slop from new.If you havnt replaced them before they are overdue.They are easy to replace as when you change the seals you just need to take the old bushes off and replace with new.No more tools than for a seal change.
  3. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

4. marcusgunby

marcusgunby Lifetime Sponsor

That diagram is terrible, i think its 5,30 i would just ring a dealer and ask them-if you havnt done them for a while it will need dust seals as well.You should notice plusher forks at the top of the stroke.Also worn bushes cause new seals to leak.