Fork Springs 2002 CR250

Discussion in '2-Stroke Discussion' started by tcarp, Jun 30, 2003.

1. tcarp

tcarp Lifetime Sponsor

Just bought new fork springs for my CR and wondered if anyone has some experience in changing the stock ones. It looks to me like the fluid is in a seperate chamber so I should be able to change the springs witout changing the oil?

Thanks

2. NO HAND

NO HAND Subscriber

You would get more answers if you posted in the suspension forum. Changing the spring on the showa forks is a bit harder than on kayabas'. The spring is in the lower part of the fork so you will need dismantle it quite much and you'll be forced to change the oil. Read the owner's manual on that subject!
  3. tony91

tony91 Subscriber

Tcarp,

Just did mine with no prev. experience with the Showa's. I do have the Service manual. It was sort of vague on some steps, but overall it was a big help. BTW, your forks have separate fluid chambers. If you are only doing springs, you will not have to drain the damper rod. You will have to drain the outer tube though.

T
  4. motometal

motometal Lifetime Sponsor

I gouged the plating on my dampener rod because I used a craftsman wrench to hold it while I loosened the bottom nut.  The proper tool is an aluminum block with a "U" shaped cutout.  Now I have one of these, and all is well.  Fair warning.

The block I made at work, and the big wrench to turn the big nut on top was $35 from Atomic 22 in Des Moines IA.

Are you putting in lighter or heavier springs?  and What is your weight?
  5. tcarp

tcarp Lifetime Sponsor

heavier springs. I'm 240 at this point and ordered my springs from Jeremy using his spring rate generator.
  6. tony91

tony91 Subscriber

The holding tool that Motometal mentioned..... definitely a must. I made mine out of a electrical junction box cover. The one shown in the manual is quite thick, but you can use any strong piece of flat metal at least 2mm thick.

BTW, I weigh 240 also. What spring rate did you go with ?
  7. tcarp

tcarp Lifetime Sponsor

.48 for the forks and 5.2 for the shock spring.

Thanks for the info...