Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I was feeling a bit board this evening, so I loaded up the camera bag in the truck and went for a drive. I was 24 degrees out there and the wind was blowing pretty good, though it didn't feel too bad. All in all, not a bad way to spend the evening.

This first shot took me 4 or 5 tries to get what I wanted. It was so dark that I had to shine a flashlight at the dock to get the camera to focus. This was a 30 second exposure at f4 and ISO 640.

MF8B8471-1.jpg

Click thumbnail for larger file

This shot was 15 seconds at f7.1 ISO 200

MF8B8479.jpg

Click thumbnail for larger file

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Great shots Squid. I love shooting at night. You just never know what you'll run across. ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sweet shots, since your planning to jump ship let me know how bad I can lowball you for that 300 and the 17-40 :laugh: On a serious note since I didn't see it in the stuff advertised did you move the 300 F4 already?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've done any real shooting, so I was just itching to do something. They are saying a huge winter storm should hit us this evening, so hopefully I can get a few cool shots with some snow.

As for jumping ship, things ain't looking good. You all know how much that D3 costs, and without selling all my gear there is no way I could afford it. I've had lots of offers on my flash, 17-40, 70-200, but nothing on the MkII or 300. Would be just my luck that I would sell that stuff and be stuck with the MkII and only have a 300mm lens as everything else sold. I have to make sure the big stuff goes first. If the stuff doesn't sell soon, I will most likely just add a 5D to the mix for wide angle stuff. I actually traded Jay the 300f4 for his 17-40 and some cash. We were both happy with the deal because we both knew where the gear came from and that there were no problems with any of it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Needing to move the body and 300 first is the only reasonable approach. Too bad for me the f4 is gone I'd really like some extra reach on the MkII but I can't swing the 2.8 anytime in the near future that I can see. I'm still seriously considering the 100-400 but unless I can shoot with one for a raceday to get an idea what kind of results I can expect I'm not taking that chance.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Is that the aurora above you, or cloud trails? There was a big magnetic storm that night.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Last edited:
Top Bottom