From Dirt to the street-

I also have to face a state inspection. Getting sick thinking about that. Given that most dealers wont even work on a 31 year old bike perhaps they wont come up with any BS failure items like car shops do. I tried to get an old Duster through an auto shop once, and they gave me a laundry list of crap just because they wanted to do the work. Took it somewhere else, and got only a couple of things listed as faliures.

HomeMadeSin

Lifetime Sponsor
I've been interested in the same thing, mainly to get more riding time in.  I've been thinking of going dual sport, but haven't got the funds.

Scary, true story: back in college (ODU - Norfolk, VA), I was riding with my roommate and his girlfriend in her big ass Chevy Caprice.  It was night and I think raining even.  She pulled out, turning left, right in front of a bike.  I can't remember if the guy laid it down or kept it up, but he chased us down until she stopped and went off on her.  What killed me though, we she said afterward that if you ride a motorcycle you have a deathwish....pratically indicating he desrved it.  That has scared me ever since. 

Hokies rule number 1 is legit!!!!!!!!  Europe definately deals with motorcycles better than here.  Sad to say, but ignorance is abundant over here.  It is still better that anywhere else though.

Most bike shops are more than fair. If the item is on the list, like horn, lights, ect, its gotta work, if they see the tires are old and a bit dry rotted but the tread is good, they will pass it but tell you about it. Its not like they actually put a gauge on your disc rotors and measure the runout like they are supposed to and all that BS, if they did they would never make any money on the job becuse it would take to long. They will make sure your bike is safe though.
Yeah I had an 500 interceptor and I had to take the rubber foot off the kickstand thats supposed to catch it and pull it up if you leave it down because it would prevent you from getting your toe under the shifter, I ran off the road twice becuase I left the stand down, once I stopped it in the ditch , the other thime the ditch stopped me and I went down, no injury but bent the front rim some how on a shrub. I then built and installed a simple saftey switch that connected to the stand and tied into the neutral light that prevented (shut the motor off) the bike from being put into gear with the stand down.
I still have the schematic for it if anyone wants it, its just two realays in series, a rear break light switch, and some wiring, saved my bacon sevral times after that.

Jon K.

Subscriber
Any time you have a vehicle (Volvos are the worst) approaching from the opposite direction with their left signal on . . . be afraid . . . be very afraid!!!

The driver will DEFINATELY turn across your path and take you out. Every time. I have had an oncoming driver look me straight in the eye (Really! Actual eye contact!) and still turn into my path. :eek:

I killed a CBR600 this way. Folded it up like an accordian. My body scated across the hood of the car and I skidded my butt down the road. The bike stayed stuck into the front fender. Funny; but this particular idiot turned into my path, blocked the lane entirely, and THEN freaked out and slammed on the brakes. I thought for an instand that I would squeeze behind her, but she precluded any evasive manuvers completely. :whiner:

I am so extreme in my paranoia now, that if I spot an approaching car with a left signal on; I will stop in the middle of the highway and wave the driver on across. If I have a car behind me so that it is unwise to try this method; I slow enough that the car is close behind me. This affords some protection; as the oncoming driver will not turn into the path of the car.

One of the points I made to my wife so that I could get a dirt bike was that most of the time on a dirt bike when you get hurt it is usually something within your control. On a street bike people get hurt all the time by the other person that they can't control.

please oh please dont be like the guy i saw today. i was going straight at an intersection with about 6 or 7 cars behind me here he come up between the turn lane and the straight lane and stops right at my left fender, light turns green he takes off in front of me going straight. follow behind him a ways, well this squid gets in the right blind spot of a car turning left and crosses in front of him. sorry for the long post but i had to vent. plus above all he was wearing shorts and sandals

Death wish perhaps?

Speaking of that, I just don't understand how some states of America do not enforce the wearing of helmets. That just seems crazy to ride without a helmet!

I have been riding since i was 4..31 years of riding , still ride both dirt and street. I have been riding street for about 10 years, last year i bought a new VTX1800 and decided i would use it to split up my work commute. I have discovered PEOPLE ARE MORONS AND COULDN"T CARE LESS ABOUT HITTING YOU! you need more eyes than a potatoe field to be on the road during a Boston commute. Just yesterday i was in my lane and some douche bag in his Porsche Boxster almost nailed me while cutting 3 lanes. Then he had the sack to yell at me for being in his way. Get used to situations like this, they happen everyday. Careful out there!

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Originally posted by TheGrinch
Death wish perhaps?

Speaking of that, I just don't understand how some states of America do not enforce the wearing of helmets. That just seems crazy to ride without a helmet!

It is called freedom of choice!

Do I have to wear a helmet?
No.
Do I?
Yes, everytime.

But it is my choice, I don't like being told what to do by anyone, Especially the govt.

However, if you are not wearing a helmet/proper gear, and get hurt I do not feel that my insurance premiums should increase just becasue you are an idiot. You chose to ride woithout a helmet, you should have to face the consequences without dragging other people down.

Last edited:
Having started out riding in the dirt then street then not riding at all for many years I can now say that I do both. I have a Honda Goldwing and a KTM 300exc. Each requires a different riding style. You can't be nearly as agressive on the street as you can off road. There are people on the street that will chase you down if they get mad at you (ever hear of road rage). That has yet to happen to me on the trail. You have to pay attention to the other guy more than yourself but if you don't ride like an idiot you should be allright. I drive a truck for a living so I see more stupid things done on wheels than the average person. If you just remember the Law Of The Biggest Bumper you will be ok. This law says that HE who has the biggest bumper has the right of way. If you remember this and remember that you have NO bumper you will be ok. For what it's worth, I can say that I have fallen off my KTM much more than my Goldwing.

tx246

Subscriber
two pieces of advice from a 20+ yr street rider.

1. its not IF you crash but WHEN and HOW HARD..........wear the gear.

2. avoid, at all costs, being the first vehicle through an intersection. use traffic going in your direction as protection from red light runners and left turn maniacs.

Bill Hibbs

Subscriber
A Motorcycle is the worst vehicle to be involved in an accident with. However, it's the BEST vehicle to avoid one. You stop faster, swerve quicker, and accelerate faster than Anything on the road. However, you have to know how to handle your bike. There's a Ton of good advice here and it's ALL true. I'm constantly "educating" stupid motorists that are trying to kill me. It's still worth it though.