Mansruin92

Aug 4, 2006
I know this may sound dumb, but I have a question about mixtures. I have a 1997 KTM 360EXC, I was running a 32:1 mixture with motul synthetic, it ran poorly but strong, smoked to all hell, wouldn't idle for even a second, spit tons of oil out of the pipe, and was downright evil when it came to starting. Someone suggested to run it 40:1 and I tried it, it seems to be running like a champ, idling smooth, kicked over in 2 kicks, 2 kicks no joke(it used to take a lot more than two). Anyway I am a true 2 stroke newbie and was wondering if this ratio is dangerous for the engine? Is it 32:1 on a regular oil and different ratios on synthetic? Thanks in advance!

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
most synthetic oils like bel ray h1r say its safe to run 40:1 in 250cc engines and higher and 32:1 in 125s and lower. If you run a synthetic oil u can use less oil.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Most of my 2 strokes like a 40 : 1. 32 is just to rich in most cases. 32:1 is a good mix for weed wackers. I have run about 50:1 using synthetic oils. Just keep an eye on the white smoke. If you stop seeing it when the bike is warmed up and you goose the gas your too lean. If your bike is happy at 40:1 no reason to experiment unless your like me :p

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
KTM recommends 40:1 for their 2 strokes, even their 125's, so you are running it right at the Manufacturers recommended ratio. You are good to go.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just so you all know, there are some very lenghty threads on this subject if you have a few hours to read them. Search for oil ratio or something like that. Most people talk richer or leaner relating to gasoline. For example, a 32:1 ratio is leaner than a 40:1 ratio with respect to gasoline.

For your specific problem it sounds like a small change in your jets would clear it up and let you run at 32:1 if you wished. I am of the camp that you shouldn't run less oil than 32:1 because less oil equals more wear in your engine. I don't think 40:1 is going to hurt you, but you might want to try some different jets and see if that has an effect.

MikeT

Top Bottom