fuel pouring out of carb.... help!!

Chodeman

Apr 11, 2001
When I was riding the other day i stopped for a second and noticed a stream of gas pouring out of my bike. It was comming from the tube that connects to the bottom of the float bowl. It stopped after I rode a few more feet but then if I tap on the carb more gas will leak out for a few seconds. It is on a new 2000 220 with only 25 miles on it. What could be thye problem???

------------------

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
The float needle is probably getting hung up on a piece of dirt. Clean the carb and make sure the float level is set to the correct height.

Nice user name. :mad:

------------------
Dan
'98 KDX 200
St. Louis, MO

[This message has been edited by dhoward (edited 04-11-2001).]

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
it could be a couple of diffrent things actually, 1, the float is set to high causing gas to run out of the float bowl overflow tube, " unlikely if the bike wasent doing it before and you didnt touch the carb, 2, the float needle may be defective by this mean it may not be seated corectly," possiable but also unlikely" 3 you may have had some small particles of dirt when you poured your gas in, "very likely" do yourself a favor and buy a funnel with a filter in it, team kaw factory riders filter their gas 3 times to be sure not to get any dirt in their tanks, to fix it just pull the carb off, then pull the float bowl and clean the float needle also look at it to see if it is marred in any way if it is it will need to be replaced be careful not to bend the tangs on the float itself that set the float level, good luck.

------------------

Chodeman

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for the info guys. I will take the carb apart and clean it up. Heading to the store to get a funnel with a filter in about 5 minutes...never thought about that. I haven't had a bike in about ten years and just bought this one. i forgot everything about them. You will probably see me posting quite frequently at least till I get back into the groove of things.

------------------

Top Bottom