GasGas + Zerk Fittings = Heaven?

OregonMagoo

Dec 23, 2000
Has anyone out there tried to install zerk fittings on the rear suspension linkage on a Gas Gas? It looks like you should be able to drill through the head of the bolt(s) to accomplish this. Any feedback would be helpful.

OregonMagoo
'99 EC 250

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
It's a lot more involved than just drilling the bolts. You would have to drill the bearing sleeve and machine an internal groove for the grease to travel from the bolt through the sleeve and into the bearing.
I had an RMX that had grease zerks, they were convenient, 'till the grease got hard and clogged all the grease passages. This blocked fresh grease from getting to the bearings.(read, expensive bearing replacement)

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I thought about doing that but decided against it. I just use Waterproof Moly Paste to lube the bearings and everything holds up fine. I did however install zerks on the kickstarter and brake pedal pivots. That worked great.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Zerk fittings give a false sense of security. You assume that since you are greasing them that the grease is getting to the bearing. Not only can you run into problems, like gasgasman did on his RMX, you will push grease out past the seals thus giving dirt and water a passageway into the bearing.

When you disassemble everything to grease the bearings you can inspect all the bearings and races for wear BEFORE additional damage occurs.

old butch

Feb 1, 2000
I am about to tear into the rear link of my 2000, EC300. Is there going to be a big nasty surprise waiting for me in there, or are they reasonably simple and straight forward.

eek.gif

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
They are among the sturdiest link systems out there, and sealed very well. They are not the eaisest to work on, however. To make reassembly eaiser, loosely fasten the frame brackets and pull rods to the main link on the bench. The brackets fit very tight between the swingarm and engine cases, and if left loose you can tap them around with a rubber mallet to line the holes up. Antiseize on the surfaces makes things eaiser too. Then install the swingarm pivot and frame bracket bolts, and torque everything down. Do the lower shock mount next and swingarm pull rod mount last.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Oct 14, 1999
Not sure about the '00 bikes, but the '99s came with uncaged bearings in the linkage. Watch out for those needles! I replaced 'em with caged bearings that I got from Smackover. A bearing supply house would be able to set you up also.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Supposedly, the uncaged bearings are stronger. The good thing about the uncaged bearings, is that you can take them out for cleaning and flush all the grit out with brake cleaner.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Uncaged bearings are used for a reason. They are stronger due to the increased bearing contact area.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

old butch

Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by GlennP:
Uncaged bearings are used for a reason. They are stronger due to the increased bearing contact area.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Glenn;

do you happen to know the torque values? Also is there a place to get a service manual? Nobody has one not Smackover, or Hal's

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Torque values are in the owners manual. If you don't have one let me know and I'll post the values for you. Service manuals are supposed to be available soon. My dealer has a very nice parts manual with drawings, but only one copy.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Top Bottom