Dklulz

Aug 23, 2010
Bike- 1994 yz250. I was curious to see if any of you had good gearing tips for desert riding/ occasionally riding in the sand. river/washes.
I have 13/50 atm stock.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Your question is too vague.

The appropriate gearing will depend on your ability and the nature of the terrain you like to ride.

I ride the California desert a lot and prefer lower gearing (less speed, more torque) for climbing the hills and really technical stuff. But that gearing sucks when you get to a power line road or a long sand wash and your buddies are leaving you in the dust.

Some of my buddies, who are much better riders than I am, gear their bikes the opposite: their first gear is more like my second. But they manage to fly through the stuff that I have to pick my way through.

Tell us what issues you are having and then maybe we can recommend a gearing change that will help.

Rod

Dklulz

Aug 23, 2010
Okay mostly hard-packed dirt, and occasionally washes. Don't really get in the hill climbing terrain that often. The gearing for my bike seems fine, but just wanted to explore a little bit.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Great bike! I rode a friends and went out and bought a 95 the next week.

I'm pretty sure that stock gearing was 13/49 on that. If you're looking for more top and less torque, I would look at just putting a 14 on the front with your 50 rear. Easy and cheap to switch back, too.

FNG

May 2, 2008
I had a 95' a few yeas back. I really liked the stock gearing with the addition of a flywheel weight. This greatly enhanced my ability to lug the bike and crawl around while maintianing the stock gearing for the open areas.

For me it was the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom