Apr 16, 2010
Hello to all,

I will start by saying that I am 18 years old and just purchased a 2003 YZ85. I am not sure on how much time the piston has but am going to throw a top end in just for good measure. The bike has all the original jetting, tires, everything so I dont think the bike was ever raced. The tires even look pretty descent.

First things first: Shifting, I will mostly be using this bike as a pit bike at my car races but do intend to track it sometime in the future. I have been using the clutch for up and down shifting, is this the best choice? I know you can get by without using it but I dont want to be replacing dogs every other race...

Secondly, I am 145 pounds and ride an 85, If I do track it, will I be too heavy for the suspension? I have never done MX so wont be flying the thing, just having fun and learning something new....

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you use the clutch your gearbox will last much longer.

At 145 lbs you are a little big for an 85. If you do race it, you will be racing against kids that weigh about 60 lbs. Do the math. :whoa:

Sounds like it would make a good pit bike. :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Come on 89er, those kids can weigh up to about 120 (mines roughly 80).

For a 145 pounder, the springs will have to replaced if it is to be ridden on a track. Neither hard, nor particularly expensive. You didn't mention your height, but if you are over 5' tall, you should also consider a taller handlebar and a big wheel kit if it still has a 17 inch front. Since the is primarily a pit bike, and has no power valve, you might also consider a heavier flywheel and steel rear sprocket. There are also several other woods riding mods that will tame the powerband for pit use.

Apr 16, 2010
Yep I am over 5' just shy of 6' actually :bang:

I have heard that for anything on the bottom end, NAPE needle, 3.5 slide, and 135 main.. Ill give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks,

Top Bottom