Getting Back Into 2-Strokes. Holy Cow!

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
I have been a thumper rider for the past few years. I sold my XR650 last fall with the intention of getting back into a lighter 2-stroke. I have been shopping around locally over the past week. Yesterday I test rode and inspected a 1999 KX250 and today a 1994 CR250R. What can I say but holy crap! Man I forgot how much fun a 2stroke can be. Both bikes had FMF Fatty pipes, but I'll tell ya, the CR250 would spank that Kx250 anytime anywhere. Maybe it is ine need o f top end rebuild...Anyway the CR250 was amazing. The power comes on like a demon :p from hell, hard and fast! I get the feeling that the CR250 would easily wheelie in 3rd gear. I never tried. I am going to look at a real sweet, mint 1988 CR250R tonight. Going to make a decision tomorrow. I am trying to keep within my set price range so newer bikes are not an option. Any comments from anyone? :eek:

Last edited:

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
2-stroke 250s - really any of them - are the most fun you can have outside the sheets. When I first got mine (2001 CR 250) I said the same thing. What could be better than this?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I just broke in my '05 KX250 and this post basically covers what I'm feeling.. I forgot how responsive and quick revving these things are. The way the power bursts on makes the bike feel lighter.. 4th gear wheelies are awesome. As much as I loved the 4-stroke, I've gotta say, the 25 minutes I've spent on the 2-stroke has made me realize what I was missing. This bike rocks..

Haven't gotten a chance to check out the handling or suspension much, I just rode down some gravel roads and stuff to break it in nice and gentle-like.

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
Get the 94CR if it's in good shape.I had a 92 & a 94 and they had amazing power,even when compared bikes years newer.I had no problems kicking my friends butt(dragracing) on his 98kx.I also owned an 88cr250.It's a big step down in power from the 94 but handles OK.My 92 & 94 had no problems getting the front up in fifth.

Robin13

Nov 21, 2004
I would get the 94 honda also. I would get a honda if buying something from the early 90's if I were you. Nearly everyone rode them back then. I can Also remeber KXs being the worst in the reliability department back then. I don't know how they are now.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Thanks for your responses guys. I decided to go with the 1994 CR250 as you suggested. The 88 was a little too old for my liking. I am pretty fussy and like things neat and clean looking. I would have had to put way more work and time into the 88 to get it even close to the 94. After test riding the 88 today, I would have to agree with your comments about the killer power that the 94 makes. Unbelievable. I am going to attempt to tame it a bit with a flywheels weight and some gearing changes.
Keith

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Same experience here...I was a dedicated thumper-lover until recently. 2 strokes rock, nothing can beat them for an adrenaline rush!

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
I traded my 94cr to a kamloops yamaha dealer for a 94xr650l about 7yrs ago.Does it have a bluish-purple seat cover and a R&D pipe?I' m from the lower-mainland.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
'91 Cr250

I ride a '91and this thing can really crank! I was thinking about updating but the thing is so reliable and strong I... I just love riding it!

Aug 26, 2005
Camstyn said:
I just broke in my '05 KX250 and this post basically covers what I'm feeling.. I forgot how responsive and quick revving these things are. The way the power bursts on makes the bike feel lighter.. 4th gear wheelies are awesome. As much as I loved the 4-stroke, I've gotta say, the 25 minutes I've spent on the 2-stroke has made me realize what I was missing. This bike rocks..

You are correct sir! I just got back into off roading after many years away, and of course I discovered 4-stroke mania/hype splattered all over the place. I don't care. I am much more entertained and excited by 2-strokes, the entire experience from the sound to the violent acceleration, 4-strokes just don't deliver the adrenaline for me.

Last edited:

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
It'd been 6mos now almost since I started this thread. I still friggin love my CR250. 2 strokes are where it's at for my type of tight technical tree riding. It just gets better all the time.
I love the power and the light weight. The wheelies are constant and I love it!!! :)

rm_dave

Aug 23, 2005
All those four stroke guys talk about not having to mix gas. How hard is it? I love my RM250. My first real bike just happened to an 88 CR250 I thought it was the greatest thing since the wheel then I rode a Suzuki and have been riding them since.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Keithb7, how does your CR handle in the woods? You mention tight technical tree riding...I always figured a bike like your (250 MX'er) would be a handful in the tight stuff. Wheelies all the time...isn't that a problem in the woods? I've got a KDX200 and I love its hit, but I know it has nothing in the 'hit department' compared to a 250 MX'er.

I'm asking because most of the guys I know either ride 4-strokes or they put so much flywheel weight on their 250 MX'er that it practically isn't the same bike anymore. How does your bike handle while lugging through tight technical sections?

I've dreamed about upgrading to a YZ250 or KX250 and modding it for the woods, but I thought it would be more than I can handle (C rider with 2yrs experience). Your comments make me think that could work. I know that the top level GNCC riders use 2-strokes but I figured they needed the acceleration for straight sections so they could pass people.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Wanaride, After mentioning your skill and time riding, I'd feel that you would at this time continue to develop as a rider faster on the KDX then on a converted MXer. I compete in the ECEA Enduro series (which is for the most part very tight at times) on a converted MXer(s). I enjoy the stock power alot but gear the bike down and add just enough flywheel/ flywheel effect to help prevent the bike from stalling when the going gets reall slow. On a MXer controlling the power has alot to do with suspension set-up. The converted MXer for racing between trees doesn't work for everyone, though. You have to be a aggressive rider for the most part to get the most out of it. Bikes like the KDX are so forgiving especially if you make a mistake. Forgiving is a good thing, the less tired you are the faster you can go.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I ride tight woods, harescrambles and enduros on a nearly stock 2001CR250R. I used to have a KDX some time ago and the 250 requires a different riding style but is totally manageable in the tight stuff. You don't have to go full throttle and you can always ride a gear or two high. I'll probably add a flywheel weight or e-line lighting coil to help with really really technical stuff. Still, I'd agree with the above post, that for tight stuff and being a somewhat inexperenced rider the KDX200 is a better bet. You'd probably be slower on the MX bike than on the KDX. I raced C class for nearly a year on my KDX even though I had a MX bike in the garage. Once I was into B level I switched to the MX bike and was only slightly faster than I had been on the KDX and I belive this was due to the improved chassie/suspension rather than power. I really wouldn't mind a KDX motor in a MX bike chassie (hmm, sounds like a CRF250x....)

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
How does my CR250 handle in the tight trees?

I ride it up to 3X a week some weeks, min 1x a week. Always in the tight trees, gulleys, creek crossings, and hills. Almost always in the same area as I love it there so much. I find it difficult to describe how the bike handles as I don't feel qualified to answer. My background is... I have been riding for about 13 years. Never raced. Always on trails with buddies or my wife. My first bike was a 1983 KDX175. Then I went to a 1983 XR350R. From there to a 1997 XR650L, and now this 1993 CR250, bored out to 265cc. I just ride that CR250 in those tight technical trails, I have not ridden any other bike in a year or so to compare. It's my bike so I ride it. That simple. I have learned to harness the power and am in control about 95% of the time. It does wheelie on command at any time. I have a 11oz flywheel weight on there, that helps a lot. I find I ride mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear on the pipe regularly. The real tight technical stuff, I am usually in 1st or 2nd just up to about 1/4 throttle. It seems to lug fine.

You had mentioned knowing people who put large flywheels on their 2-strokes. Mine is still wild even with the 11oz weight.
Must be because of the 265cc kit I guess. I did try a 13oz weight, it was too much I put the 11 back on.

The power to weight ratio is what I really like. I can put that bike almost anywhere I want. Maybe one day i should try a KDX200 or 220. It's not as easy to do as test driving a car so for now, I'll keep grinning on my CR.

Keith

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I think most all of the Honda CR's where good. Some were better than others but unless you were jumping off of one and on to another you would not likly feel too much difference. Each bike, even of the same year and model, tend to be a little different from each other. They have a personality of their own. Just find one that feels good to you and run with it. Everyone has their favorites, I'm no different. I would find a good condition 01 CR250 and tune it to my tastes as it's my all time favorite Honda. The next guy might say a 02 is better or maybe a 96. It really comes down to what you want and nothing else matters.

Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The 250 2 strokes are great woods bikes when set up correctly. My 99 has excellent low end pull, and with the 12oz. flywheel weight is almost stall-proof. Almost any year from 92-01 has the same basic motor which is easily configured for the woods. I prefer the light weight and sharp handling of the mx bikes for woods and sigle track.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom