MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Since we have been hitting the gym again now for 2 weeks. Hitting cardio everyday and twice on lower body days. I'm noticing that my exercise indused asthma is "improving". The doc switched my meds out and they are working MUCH better. Hopefully, by the time riding season is in full swing it will be under control. That's usually what kills me racing, my asthma kicks in and I have to slow down and breath. Which sucks...I still have a long way to go though.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
TX, 2 lbs in 3 weeks is not bad (especially the first 3 weeks). Those body fat scales can be inaccurate, particularly for picking up small changes. You WILL gain muscle as fast or sometimes faster than you lose fat at first. If you want a better measure of body fat, use calipers and measure your waist, back, back of arm (tricep) and back of leg. I wouldn't even check it but once every 3 or 4 weeks though.

Also, if fat loss is your goal, you need to eat 5 small meals instead of 3 meals (but keep the total calories the same). I don't care how few calories you're taking in, split into 5 meals and you'll have better results. The second your body picks up that you're cutting calories, it shuts the metabolism down and the best way to combat that is more meals of smaller amounts.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Well I'm back on track (well, not the track....I wish it was the track....just the trails...well, not THOSE trails. Just the walking trails!) starting today.....I've been SICK SICK SICK!!!! I feel like I am so far behind schedule because haven't worked out since Monday.....Aaargh!!!

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Bandit9 said:
Riding the bike is the best exercise. Just ride and ride HARD every chance you get. It is the intensity in the riding that is the most beneficial.

Even at 195lbs with your gear, you are still too heavy for stock springs. Springs are only $200 front and rear. Changing your springs is very easy and you could do it in less than an hour. Your riding will improve greatly.

Will it make that big of a difference? According to race tech's online calculator (which asks for weight WITHOUT gear), at 193 lbs (which I am now), I should be using a .436 fork spring and stock is a .43. In the rear I should be using a 5.26kg spring, yet stock is a 5.2 on my 05 RM. Those figures get even closer to the stock springs once I get to my goal weight of 188. The 05 RM250 was sprung stiffer than most others. So, would it really help to go up to the next spring interval? At 188, rounding to the nearest spring puts me to stock. Right now, I would round up, and be going a tad stiff on the next rate up. Also, fully suited up the rear sag when stock was only 103mm, which I have slightly adjusted to 100mm.

I definitely know that riding is the best excerise....it's just frustrating when you cannot get more than 3 laps in before fatigue starts to take over and you lose focus on your riding technique. That's when I'll end up getting hurt. :bang:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I did Ab Bootcamp twice so far this week and walked once (last night). I am starting to feel better already, and I'm only two weeks into it! I feel like I am starting to conquer the route I walk, which has two pretty strenuous hills. I believe after a few more times I'll be ready to double my route, which has some more hills.

It's amazing how much energy I have!

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
YFZRob said:
Will it make that big of a difference? According to race tech's online calculator (which asks for weight WITHOUT gear), at 193 lbs (which I am now), I should be using a .436 fork spring and stock is a .43. In the rear I should be using a 5.26kg spring, yet stock is a 5.2 on my 05 RM. Those figures get even closer to the stock springs once I get to my goal weight of 188. The 05 RM250 was sprung stiffer than most others. So, would it really help to go up to the next spring interval? At 188, rounding to the nearest spring puts me to stock. Right now, I would round up, and be going a tad stiff on the next rate up. Also, fully suited up the rear sag when stock was only 103mm, which I have slightly adjusted to 100mm.

I definitely know that riding is the best excerise....it's just frustrating when you cannot get more than 3 laps in before fatigue starts to take over and you lose focus on your riding technique. That's when I'll end up getting hurt. :bang:

Nope, your springs seem to be the right size for you. Looks like you lucked out with your RM. Although, I am sure different tuners will have different techniques.

3 laps and your tired? Something isn't right with that.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Bandit9 said:

Well, tired to the point where I begin losing focus on my technique.....I'm a track noobie. I've been a trail rider for years, particularly on sport ATVs, so I've not needed the endurance abilities in any of my past riding.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Bandit9 said:

Sure there is...everyone has different endurance levels. I'd be tired after 3 laps too, because I don't have the endurance of someone who rides a track regularly.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well, I did o.k. last week.

I walked a couple of nights and did Ab Bootcamp once! I need to do more, but with my work/school schedule it's tough!

I have been eating MUCH better though, avoiding pretty much all junk food (except for a couple of chocolates).

How about everyone else?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm getting on the fitness train here too. Started running and walking last week, along with situps/pushups 2-3 times each day. Hopefully today I'll get joined up to a gym (and actually go). Friday's goal was to join a gym, but the closest one to me is a 24-hour card-pass one, and there's only someone there Mon-Thu 2-8. I want to check it out before making a final decision on which gym. And I am definitly doing WAY better on the eating thing now. I spent all of Nov-Dec basically on the road, eating horribly. Now I'm trying to make up for it and sticking to healthier foods. Who would have known that I actually like yogurt? I sure didn't....

As for 3 laps and getting tired, really depends on the track too! I've ridden little tracks where 3 laps is less than 3 minutes, and I've also ridden where 3 laps might be 10+ minutes (where I'll start getting tired if it's rough).

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
squeaky said:
How about everyone else?

My endurance is finally getting better...stupid exercise induced asthma DOES not help at all :| Noticing improvements on the weight equipment too...finally getting back to where I used to be a couple of years ago.

Phil is also noticing improvement also. He just wants riding season to get here soon!

We have mostly stopped drinking pop (or soda or whatever it is in your region!) There are some things you just can not drink without pop though...We never were big on junk food or candy and stuff so didn't have to worry about that. We are trying to eat a little healthier. Not going to get fast food as much. Which wasn't very much before, but more like not at all now.

It's not that we are overweight at all. We just want to be in BETTER riding shape and want our endurance levels built up.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
MXGirl230 said:
We have mostly stopped drinking pop (or soda or whatever it is in your region!)

Yea, I just moved from Michigan (born and raised) to Georgia about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Apparently there is no such thing as pop here.

I'm on a roll now, joined a gym, bought some good new running shoes, and found out at the bike shop where the mountain bike trails are. Now with so many options I'll have to be careful not to over do it! :nod:

Last edited:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The thing here is to find something you enjoy doing. I like weights, hate cardio. I lift every other day(sometimes everyday) differant body part each workout. Been lifting for 4yrs now. I drive truck so not a lot of work,just sitting. Was 245 when I came off the road (now local) got down to 196 with counting calories and cardio. Fellow worker got me to lifting. I'm now back up around 220. Lot more muscle. My diet sucks. I eat more often and watch what I eat, but gotta have my hershey kisses. I'm trying to get back into cardio on the days I don't lift. My goal is how much better I feel. At 52 I feel great.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
MXGirl230 said:
Phil is also noticing improvement also. He just wants riding season to get here soon!

You should come down here, where we have the endless riding season! Race season started 2 weeks ago and it 84 while riding this Sunday! (of course we also have the endless summer, and humidity so thick birds can barely fly in July and August).

oh, we call everything Coke here!

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Yeah, everything is a coke down here too. No "pops" or "sodas". Just cokes.

Doing deep knee bends till your legs are shaking, really helps on the trail. I have noticed a big difference in how long I can stand up now. I do 3 sets of 50 Mon Wed Fri.

192 lbs this a.m.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
91KDX:

I'm almost in the same position as you, except I plan on going to USMC Officer Candidate School(OCS) in summer '07. So I have a little more time than you. You might check out this page, I know it applies to OCS, but if you could build up to this, than TBS shouldn't be much of a problem for you. The more you run, the better off you'll be for Basic.

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/New_Web_Format/Candidate_Information/Candidate%20Prep.htm

As stated above, I've started training in prep. for USMC OCS next summer. I quit smoking on saturday, for good this time, and haven't really had a craving yet. I've got a year to be able to do at least 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches in a minute or less, and I'm setting a goal for a 20 minute or less 3-mile run. In order to meet these goals, especially the 3-mile run, I know that I'm really going to have to bust-ass and start working out for real. I plan to start lifting every other day with a goal of building muscle mass and endurance. I also plan on running at least every other day. The running is going to be the hardest part for me, I never have been a runner. I've never liked running, and I don't think that it likes me. I'm not really concerned with losing any weight, I figure if I'm working out as hard as I need to be, it will do it's thing and get lost.

If my body isin't hurting tomorrow, I'm going to get a baseline for my pull-ups, crunches, and *GULP* 3-mile run.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Wow! Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I've gotten in probably over 100 stairs already today (thanks to my boss being a PITA)! I have class tonight, so there won't be any exercise going on! But I plan to get back to it tomorrow!

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
SPD said:
The thing here is to find something you enjoy doing.

Exactly! I hate gyms, but enjoy cycling, either mountain or road. Before I got my motorcycle, I cycled 4-5 times a week. So now my goal of racing at least once per month is motivation to get back on the bike.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
adam728 said:
Yea, I just moved from Michigan (born and raised) to Georgia about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Apparently there is no such thing as pop here.

Moved from here to Marrieta when I was in 5th grade..should have seen the looks on my new friend's faces when I said something about "Pop"...I had to explain so many things to them...anyway..way off topic!

Well my 16yr old bro. is getting jealous...he hears about us hitting the gym and he has gotten the bug. He has gone with us twice and loves it. When he starts to slack on the cardio I just remind him that working hard at cardio will help to burn his "buddha belly" He picks it up then and gets going. It's kinda fun having him there, teaching him things, and he is actually listening to me or Phil!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
did something that im out of practice on........pulled out the kayak and did 6 miles. 3 upstream and 3 back down. mostly flat water but had a couple of shoals to paddle like crazy through to get up. tomorrow is a 5 mile run day. yea!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
MXGirl230 said:
Well my 16yr old bro. is getting jealous...he hears about us hitting the gym and he has gotten the bug. He has gone with us twice and loves it. When he starts to slack on the cardio I just remind him that working hard at cardio will help to burn his "buddha belly" He picks it up then and gets going. It's kinda fun having him there, teaching him things, and he is actually listening to me or Phil!

That's awesome! :cool:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
I love reading everyones stories! It's great having this blog going....Keeps me motivated. I'm off for another 5 mile walk today....ending w/ the killer uphill climb! Aaaargh! I haven't seen my coyote friends in a few days....hmmmm, think they are still stalking me?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
It's official we have made it 3 weeks and we're doing great! My asthma is SO much more in control now. I'm really looking forward to being able to race both motos at my race speed!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Well yesterday I got out the mountain bike and hit some trails. Did it again today. I'm afraid I won't be using that gym membership much now unless it's raining. I forgot that I used to really like this bicycle stuff. Even knocked the dust off the old 20" BMXer and tooled around the parking lot here. I'm supposed to be all "grown up" now, with my professional career, yet I'm still riding around on a kids bike. :yeehaw:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
adam728 said:
I'm supposed to be all "grown up" now, with my professional career, yet I'm still riding around on a kids bike. :yeehaw:

Nothing wrong with that!!!

Top Bottom