INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The name Jim McMillan has appeared. If anyone can tell me who his boss is, I'd sure like to know. Who can give him an order to do something?
Here is my contribution.

Dear
Although I do not reside in the State of Michigan, I have been a regular user of some of its public land for over 25 years. The majority has been in the woods and on the trails for vehicles requiring ORV and Secretary of State licenses. Last August I used a 26-year-old motorcycle to ride the MCCCT from M-61 to the west terminus at M-20. The idea of repeating that adventure this year on a modern motorcycle appears doomed. Due to closing of the Gladwin loop north of M-61, there is now no close parking area for the MCCCT until the Roscommon-Ogemaw county line. This shortens the trail by about 60 miles.
Many years and a lot of work was involved in creating this trail of adventure. A few years ago the original part south of M-61 was eliminated. This makes it appear that there is a pattern forming to abolish the MCCCT little by little. Closing of the Gladwin loop also eliminates for shorter distance riders a place to enjoy trail riding.
The Department of Natural Resources is charged with managing the public lands for the public. It appears that it is not being followed when I hear those trails may never be opened again. I would appreciate knowing why we, (fellow riders), must now look elsewhere to spend our vacation time and dollars

Sincerely yours,
Ted del Solar

This was sent to the first name on the list

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for your part in this guys, it all looks/sounds great. It's my understanding that the ORV Program people (no names, but outside of Gladwin, aka Lansing) are moving on this, at least initially. A meeting is supposed to happen in the next few days and after that they are to involve the Gladwin Unit people (meeting with them, forming a plan, etc.). I'm trying to stay abreast of what is going on. If it turns out they "sit" on this, like Gladwin seems to want to do, then we will need to "turn up the heat" on our contacts to them so they realize this IS an important issue.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I just got a minute to check my e-mail before I finish packing for Rochester, MN. Here's a reply from one of the letters I sent the DNR. Not surprisingly, I haven't received a reply (nor did I get a read receipt) from the guy at the Gladwin District office.

Dear Mr. Weissenborn,

The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is committed to providing recreational opportunities for Off-Road Vehicle enthusiasts. The DNR recognizes the significance of the Gladwin ORV Trail System. I would like to note that the trail loop south of M-61 is open and that the temporary trail closures impact the middle and north trail loops north of M-61.

DNR staff from the Gladwin Management Unit recently completed an inspection of the trail and identified 10 locations along the north and middle loops that must be repaired before the trail can be reopened. These improvements include repairs to decks that were damaged by flooding and washouts that pose safety hazzards to trail riders. Other improvements such as culverts, fill, trail hardening and erosion control are also necessary to make the trail safe and mitigate adverse environmental impacts.

We are working with ORV clubs to repair the boardwalks and there are several improvement projects currently out to bid. We are hopeful these projects can accomplished later this fall at which time the middle loop and ORV route will be re-opened.

For more information regarding the status of this trail, contact
Courtney Borgondy, Gladwin Unit Manager, at 989-426-9205, Ext. 7640.

Sincerely,
Steve Kubisiak
Recreation and Trails Program Coordinator
Michigan DNR

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
It's funny what a little pressure seems to bring about. I was holding off posting this note sent to me on behalf of Courtney on 8/5/04 pending dialoge with them. At about the same time this note came through, they changed the sign at the trail head to state they are "evaluating" the system, changing it from "closed". It's interesting to note this happened after we started calling/mailing them. Coincidence? Mmmm, could be...

Here's the note:
---->
The Gladwin ORV Trail is currently closed north of M-61. We have
a ORV Grant to install a culvert on the ORV Trail north of 61 on the
east side. We have another grant to stabilize the hill were the ORV
Route and the Trail cross the culverts north of M-61. These two
projects have been bid out and the bid opening is scheduled for August
20th.

There was some damage to some of the decks on the middle loop this
spring. Supports under the decks were damaged. These will have to be
repaired before we can open the middle loop.

As of right now we are planning on opening the middle loop once the two
Orv grant projects have been completed and the decks have been fixed.
This should be completed by October if all goes well.

The north loop is to remain closed. We have completed a cost estimate
on the repairs and are working on the gladwin or trail assessment, which
is part of the OR Plan update that Michigan State University is
currently working on. Through this plan we will determine the future
options for north loop of the Gladwin OR Trail.
---->

I've been trying to get a hold of them to see if I can go repair these damaged decks, normally that is part of the trail maintenance but this could be some special circumstance.
Interestingly enough the info provided above is quite different to the statements made by the Gladwin Unit Recreation Manger (Powers). Would appear there's a bit of politics being played out there.
The other item was waiting to hear back from Chapin about the latest ORV Advisory Board meeting where this was to be a topic. I know the $500,000 in grants they want was discussed, but not the results. For half a million dollars we should be getting another 80 miles of trail on the ground, not just filling in a railroad grade so it's above water again..

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I was at the ORV Advissory Board meeting last Wednesday and can pass on the following concerning the Gladwin Trails. The cost for 10 locations of repair work is about $480,000. Noted by Dick Ranney that it was a lot for what appears to be little. On the matter of the trails staying closed, Steve Kubusiak stated it was not the DNR's intent to do so and didn't know why those statements were being made. Dick also brought up the point that if in two years or so it was determined the repairs aren't working, and closure is made, the drain is full of $480,000. There is a big gap between Lansing and the Districts around the state.
Young Ted

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Just a quick update on the Gladwin system. I'm still waiting on a couple verifications to be certain what is going on, but feel it's important to let you know what I know at this point. We're trying to verify if the entire plan as presented has been put into action and if all of the funds deemed necessary have been allocated. The conflicting information coming from the various departments has caused some confusion.
So, they have presented a corrective action plan and outlined 10 items that need, or should be, done to the north and middle loops. Some of those items are out to bid and should be opened in the next week with work commencing shortly thereafter. There is a possibility that the middle loop will be open by October.
I don't know if all of the items are out to bid, in the planning phase or what.
I do know the CCC has made it clear we are willing to offer volunteer hours to help however possible. It's also been stated by the ORV Program [staff] that they intend to have the Gladwin system re-opened.

Thanks for all your help in this matter. I'll follow up as things progress.

R

riders of gladwin

gladwin trail

I went out there today and it dont look like they are doing enty thing!! the tolet was gone and the sign was too. they dont want people to ride out there. the south loop sucks bad. it is to ruff !!

CCCnurse

Oct 30, 2005
The toilet is currently being rebuilt as with the sign. Seems some real considerate individual decided to smash into them with their vehicle. Who ever it was did quite a bit of damage to both, I don't know who did it but I'd sure like to give them a lesson in Estey Economics.

Top Bottom