crb

Oct 14, 2001
The Gladwin Trails are in pretty good shape according to the testimony of 6 bikes I saw flying across Center Fire Lane Rd. I flagged them down and they say there is only a couple small stretches with ice, probably 95 % of the trail is loose sand. This was only for the south loop. I have not a clue about the north loop or the western side of the south loop. The riders I talked with were only about an hour and a half into the ride and they parked at Grim Rd and were heading east.

Remember I only report what I see that day, plan your ride at you own risk.

I was thinking Saturday would be good but the forcast says high of 30 this weekend. Maybe I should just call in sick for tomarrow it is suppose to high of 45 and sunny.:aj:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Going Riding! Pre April warm up ride.

I just got off the phone with crb and we're going riding either Sat or Sun-which ever day is nicest weatherwise. We plan to ride at least the south loop in Gladwin. Lots of times the north loop is pretty wet early in the spring - but any trail riding is better than sitting on the couch! I'll post which day and time we plan to go in case anyone wants to come. Needless to say I am juiced. I reeeeeeeeeady to ride! :aj: :aj: :aj:

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
two or three of us will probably be there (gladwin) on saturday between nine and ten in the morning if anyone is interested.

our skill level= spodely trail riders.
this will be my first ride since june.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Are you going to be at the trailhead off M-61?

If you are maybe we'll see you there, let's hope this snow predicted will not amount to much, I'm kinda getting tired of it. :mad:

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
FredT, you da man!

Fred, please let me know the exact time you start riding so I can close my eyes and pretend!

I'll put a good word in with my meteorologist's for good weather this weekend. Can't wait to ride through the cabbage patch:p

Rickshaw

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Rick

We'll probably be off around 10 AM. I have to be home somewhat early because my wife is going to a play and I'm the babysitter -which is why I'm missing the Mogolian BBQ thingy. But oh well, I'll be riding! :moon:

Will I see you April 6th in Leota??

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Oh No, It's Gonna Snow!

Here is the latest from www.weather.com:

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...MIZ020-025-026-031>033-202200- BENZIE MI-GRAND TRAVERSE MI-LEELANAU MI-MANISTEE MI-MISSAUKEE MI- WEXFORD MI- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BEULAH...CADILLAC...EMPIRE...FRANKFORT... LAKE CITY...MANISTEE...THOMPSONVILLE AND TRAVERSE CITY 430 AM EST WED MAR 20 2002
...WINTER STORM WATCH TONIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING... SNOW MAY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. BY THURSDAY EVENING...5 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE. ALSO...GUSTY WINDS WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I just wanna scream!

What the hell is the deal in Michigan. Jeez...we just get rid of the snow and it's nearly perfect to ride and another damn 4-8 inches are predicted. That means another 2 weeks to wait for it to melt again! :whiner: :whiner: :uh:

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
what's the deal?????

Just when you get your hopes up for spring, it $#%& snows out!!!

FredT, I'm bummin for you right now.

First ride - April 5th or 6th... are we pushing it too early in the year?

Food for thought at Mongolian.

Rickshaw:whiner:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Crossing my fingers

So far the snow stopped and we got maybe an inch or slightly less, if this is the end of it Sat is still on unless Gladwin got more.

crb

Oct 14, 2001
Whoa! looks like we dodged the bullet with the snow in Gladwin. I looked at the trail today and it is snow covered and the sand seems to be loose but there are some crusty or frozen spots. Hopefully this cold weather does not harden it up too much, and this might be the one time the ATV's can beat the trail and loosen up any frozen areas. Saturday will be high of 35, and any riding is good riding right?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey, the two trackin' Taurus report is on the other forum. There were a couple of times that I wish I had "the button". Unfortuately, the four wheel drive button does not come as on option on the Taurus. I was happy I had a cell phone because I almost got stuck a couple of time. Some of the water was real deep on the two tracks. The woods seemed to be mostly clear of snow, but I am sure the ground is saturated....wet ride.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The ride is on

We'll be at the trail head in Gladwin off M 61 by 10 AM for a first spring ride. crb did another trail check and the trails are pretty much ready - forcat is near 40 degrees for Sat so we're on for anyone thats lookin to ride.
FT

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Woo Hoo we rode

Had a good ride today and never saw a whoop. :p :p

Rode 45 miles, one bent brake lever, a face plant, a jammed thumb and one guy left the scene of the accident before witnesses could arrive but apparently there was a yard sale. :aj:

We had fun! Looking fiorward to Leota on April 6th.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Gladwin is officially open for business!!!!
Great ride, guys. We had a blast!
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this "yard sale" bit?

Is anyone else as sore as I am?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Yard Sale

I imagine it's the same meaning... but in downhill skiing, a "yard sale" is basically a bad crash or fall that has gear spread out over a large area, resembling a "yard" or "garage sale" where junk is laid out everywhere.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hell ya!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this "yard sale" bit?

Is anyone else as sore as I am? [/B]

Sore, just a little. :( I ended up working out on the treadmill on Sunday to work out the kinks and now I can't move my legs. :scream: Thumb is sore but I'll be ready for Leota!!!.

Yard sale - That would be your buds crash that no one witnessed, he said he bit it opretty good but apparentley not like that unforunate tree kiss you did last year. Hope that never happens again! I just had a little trouble "icing and dicing" in the shade a couple times.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hmmmm...that's a good one. If I was him I would not have mentioned it and then it's definately not a crash! He owuld have had a perfect day with zero crashes - everyone crashed at least once - I fell 3 times! The only other way to identify the crash would be like all that dirt and crap you saw that was stuck in my hand guard, that would be damaging evidence in a dirt bike court and he would not get away sith it. The other way is bike damage - hard to fib about that. You guys have fun on your trip - I look forward to seeing you again.

Top Bottom