Gnarly pipe on a 200 exc? Will it have enough juic

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
My stock pipe is getting pretty beat up( due to my fabulous e-line guard bending the header). I've had it repaired, but it still leaks around the cilynder junction. I'm considering replacing it with a FMF Gnarly pipe. However, I'm concerned that it won't make enough high RPM power. The stock pipe has plenty of bottom end for me, but I would like more on top. The gnarly is very tough, though, and I need that. So, how does the Gnarly's power band compare to the power-band when using the stock pipe. I already have a powercore2 silencer. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Mike -

Are you using Permatex Red high temp silicone to seal the pipe to the engine? Even un-bent pipes need this to seal correctly.

As far as the Gnarly goes, this has no effect whatsoever on the power. The thickness of the steel won't effect the performance.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I met a guy with one and he's pretty happy with it. Seems to pick up the mid the most. Sometimes if you lose overrev from a pipe change its a jetting issue, or you can get it back with a reed change.

I had a '98 200, and the pipe would leak at the slightest tweak. The single O-ring they use is very thin and eaisly damaged by pipe misalignment. You can add silicone, but a good solution is to have the exhaust flange machined to accept a larger diameter O-ring.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Both of my KTMs ('00 200mxc, '01 125sx) had not problems with sealing at the cylinder. I've had all kinds of pipes: stock, PC & FMF. On the 200, the Gnarly made a huge difference. Among the most noticable changes I'm made to my bikes. It added low and mid power with out hurting the stock. As stated before, you may have to adjust your jetting to get the best from the pipe. You can't go wrong with it as a replacement. It is much stronger than the stock pipe, but you will still need some type of pipe guard to protect it in the worst of terrains. Like you, I wanted more high rpm power than stock but couldn't find a pipe that advertised this. The latest PC add boasts that it adds top end to the bike, so that my be a worthwhile replacement as well. Good Luck!

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I've been using high-temp sealant for about a half a year, but the pipe is getting too bent up to seal, even with the sealant. I want the thicker material of the Gnarly, but the Pro-circut sounds apealing. Is the gnarly significantly tougher, or is it about the same as the PC? Also, does anyone know the price of a stock 200 pipe? Thanks.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
I've been running FMF Gnarlys for a couple of years on my 2. Like GlennP said, jetting is important but also the intake. Check out a V-force reed cage. As far as durability, I've tweaked the gnarly just as easily as any other pipe, even flattened one beyond pancake. BTW, the 200 powerband is somewhat centered on the mid. I don't really think that over-rev would give much more power anyway. That's my two cents. Cheers

------------------
President,ETRA.
'01 KTM520E,
'99 KTM200E,
'93 CR500R
enee,menee,minee,mo

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Hi,

I have a FMF gnarly and a fatty for my 200 ( along with a dynoport and Doma)and the fatty has more top end and a little less low end than the gnarly. Of the 2 I like the gnarly the best for the type of ridding that I do, but I do not need more top.

I will also say that the Delta V does add quite a bit of mid to top and a lot of overrev if that is what you are after.

In a few weeks I will post a 5 pipe "test" of the pipes and what I think is the best. (I have always wanted to do a pipe test for real world riders)

vern

------------------

Top Bottom