Gore/Rohrich bigbore Breathes FIRE

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Did I mention 52 HP?

And we are still not finished...
Maybe I won't go riding this weekend.
Any word on the vortex, Rich?
I am very pleased with how this whole thing turned out.
I can't believe I bought a weirdo euro pipe and it actually works!
To have Dale say that he likes it is like the Mikey test...
He usually is not very impressed by aftermarket pipes, and this one passes the test!

JEFF SAND

May 24, 2001
From your buddies with the 520

Yo SFO, if you want to beat your buddies on those 520s first thing is to get your bike off the dyno and on to the track! ;)

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Hehehe, Jeff is right, Its fun to play with all that power stuff, But there's no replacement for practice, you can go just as fast (or faster) on a 200!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Ease up Sands.

OK, OK....
I gotcha Jeff...
What I really should do is sell it now that it is perfect and start over.
CR-f anyone?
Maybe I will build a gold wing just to be different.
I know I would probably be faster on a crummy old ktm, early 90's vintage 250.:)
Pre-pumpkin. The colors for '90 were white and rainbow stripes...
Is it a coincedence I moved to SF?
The subliminal message of KTM'S?:cool:

JEFF SAND

May 24, 2001
SFO don't start over, we'll never see ya. Your done, it's a great bike. It rips and it turns. Now its time to beat it into the earth until it is leaking fluids out of every seal. :p . then get the CRF or even better the 520!

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
I wanted to bring this to the top.

Did you ever get the Vortex?
How is it holding up now that you have run the guts out of it for a while? What did you decide for a fuel?
Would such a motor benifit from a large valve kit, or would that lead to shrouding of the valve area?

I don't have a YZF I just a junkie looking for his techno fix. thanks

Swiss

Nov 20, 2001
444 Bore Kit

Is there any information on a dyno report for this set-up? It wou7ld be interesting to see a comparison and it would be slick to see the changes individually and how they added to the total changes. Such as just the bore, then various mods added to it such as pipe and then exhaust, ignition etc..

Swiss

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Rich has the dyno data.

The vortex didn't offer a performance gain on the dyno as delivered.
Big valve/s are being considered for the next rebuild.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've been out of town a lot this month for work but I'll try to get the dyno data that Bill (SFO) provided posted for all to see. It's pretty impressive to see how flat and wide the torque curve is.

So Bill how was Baja?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The baja ride was great!

Geoff smiths Daughter and Ron the owner of AHRMA rode with us.
Nancy Emde and Chris Stewart are great Baja guides with a real love of bikes and Baja.
Everyone that rode the 440 was impressed.
I ripped some great 5th gear wheelies on it...
I will send my piston off to you with the pipe. I am ready for a new one.
I submarined the bike in a silt bed(3ft Dp) and I think it contributed to the worn ring condition I believe I am experiencing.
I'd like to try the big center valve this rebuild too.
I am still 50/50 on digging into the bottom end and will wait to see how bad the top end looks first.

82 Bird

Aug 24, 2002
I was thinking of getting the 444 kit, Did you guys ever post the Dyno Data? I defineatly want to run pump gas if I do it, thanks Bird

klymr

Feb 28, 2001
You guys are like mad scientists!! My question is do you ever go out and ride these mega-power rides or do you do prefer to stay in the garage pursuing more and more power? Just curious.

klymr
97 XR4

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by holeshot
Now we have an increase of a mere 18cc (426 to 444) and suddenly we have an "oh my god, everything else is a moped, can't even open it up or it'll loop, rippin' my arms off, where's my mommy?" motorcycle.
As Rich stated a properly set up the difference can be profound. When Rich/Eric did my 417 the difference was huge! Then we went to a full 426 on my 400 with the other mods he listed (Compression ratio, Squish clearance..... and the head alterations) the bike actually had less off the bottom than the 426 but the mid was scary. Then I blew it up and bought a brand new 02' 426 and was disappointed in the power delivery.... nowhere close to the 99' franinbike 426... Sold the 02' and got a CRF450 :yeehaw:

FWIW I rode Zoomers 444 and it was brutal. It pulls sooner than the 450 and pulls longer... I'd love to have it but I think I would have a hard time getting back to the ergos of the Yami... the Honda suits me better.

Side by side at Cooperland start straight his 98' 444, which for the record was not running right (leaking head gasket) against my 03' CRF was damn near identical.

Top Bottom