Aug 6, 2000
On the old (early 80s) Yamahas, each bike had a kinda of de-tuned version of itself like a IT was a de-tuned version of the YZ and the DT was a de-tuned version of the MX and the IT and MX were kinda rare bikes to get, you would be surpised what you will learn reading around.

Now heres the cool thing about my bike, I was reading my maintenance book and it had a section on "which year is my bike?" and I looked at the frame and that is a DT frame but my motor is a MX

------------------
16/m

1980 Yamahe Enduro DT175

[This message has been edited by Psyco Diver 69 (edited 01-07-2001).]

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Is there anything that you have found to put more power to the bike? How is yours geared? Is it stock? Mine is bone stock. I have a 1979 DT175.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I've got the regular manual, but I do not have the preformace book. The air box it look to be very restrictive. The carb is very small. Any changes made there? I thought of opening up the box and rejetting and see if it helps. I really don't want to tear up the box if it is not going to acomplish much. They are proabley pretty expensive to replace.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

Aug 6, 2000
I have the normal book and the performance book (it handles all the old Yamaha dirt bikes)

First get rid of the air box and get a cylinder shaped air filter, you'll have to clean it more often but it will boost your power.

My carb is all stock

Also get rid of the oil tank and get rid of all the oil lines and also where the lines connected to plug them with something to keep dirt out, this will mean you will have to run a pre-mix I usally run 32:1 (I think) I'll have to check my book

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Danman, not to dispute Psycho's advice, but getting rid of the airbox is not that great an idea. For one thing, you lose any protection from water and mud. I really doubt that a 175cc motor in playbike tune will benefit that much from a foam sock aircleaner anyhow. My advice is not to butcher up an old bike trying to make it something it never will be and never was. You've got a small play bike, so play with it. If you want to race, get a race bike. You'll be money ahead and more satisfied with the results. That's my 2 pesos' anyhow.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I use it as a spare. I don't race so that is not an issue. I am a heavy rider and I noticed that them bike did not have much get up and go. Intead of go it was more like "you want me to do what?". I just wanted to get the maximum power that I would out of it with out much investment. I sure it need new reeds. I think that would help out with the power issue.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

[This message has been edited by Danman (edited 01-17-2001).]

Rusty P.

Nov 6, 2002
I run a mucho modified '77 DT175 Enduro (twinshock) great bike, torquey and light. The DT175MX's in this country were the later (monoshock) bikes, the MX engine fits in no problem.

If you want to read more on modifying DT's I have written a fair bit on the discussion board of www.macdizzy.com - you will have to sign up, the info is on the Yamaha open forum - happy riding

Rusty P.

P.S. If after reading my Macdizzy posting you have any more queries feel free to contact me theruss@dialstart.net

Top Bottom