88blaster

Jul 24, 2002
I have a 2000 rm 125. The clutch grabbes when doing starts (medium throtle - slow release of clutch = sudden hook up of clutch). The bike has about 15 Hrs. of total use. I have adjusted the clutch per the manual - didn't help. Took the clutch apart and the fibers look good. The plates are out of flatness service limit of .020 mm. Whould this cause the sudden clutch engagement? A local know-it-all said the plates where probably out of spec. from the factory and to try Gear Saver oil from Bel-Ray (the manual says to use 10-40 SAE, the Gear Saver is 80 Wt.) Would changing to this oil help? Whats up with the 10-40 Vs. 80 Wt. difference?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
First try adjusting the clutch cable. Make sure there is play witht he clutch lever and perch (about 10mm). Conventional oil and gear oil use different weight ratios. If I can correct 10w-40 is equivilent to 85W gear oil and 10w-30 is equivilent to 80W. The type of oil really doesn't matetr in this case unless money is no problem then using the gear saver would be best but using 10w-40 oil is OK unless it is moly (Energy Conserving).

88blaster

Jul 24, 2002
Clutch play is adjusted as specified. What about the plates? would that make the clutch grab? Or are the manual Specs. conservative? Thanks!

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
we've talked about this 20 times in the CR/KX/RM/YZ forum. look though the first few pages of topics and there should be one or two talking about the RM clutches.

As far as what causes it...it's my guess that either the aluminum used for the drive plates or the steel that the fibers are built on is too weak. When the clutch is released, they begin to warp "out of flat", this creates pressure between the plates and the clutch grabs hard. It's like the plates put themselves in a bind.

The oil makes no difference.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
the oil doesnt matter at all? so could i throw some Mobil1 "extreme formula - fully synthetic" 0w-30 in transmission and get away with it? or were you just talking about clutch response?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
FDR-
I meant that regarding the Suzuki clutch action.
Using either 10-40 motor oil or 80 weight gear oil, the problem is still there. When the oil is fresh it's not as bad, but after 1 ride the grabbiness is back with either type.

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
The basket could be grooved-it doesn't take much to make it grabby.
The pressure plate is weak-I still use the stocker in my bike though.
10w-40 is an excellent gear oil-but I change it every time out.
Bel-Ray is good too-you don't have to change it as often.

As far as gear oil cost goes, it works out about the same for me. I usually go about three rides w/ B-R, but only one w/ 10w-40.

PM your RM questions to me.

Top Bottom